It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA scientists reveal 3D model of warp drive ship that can get to Alpha Centuri in 2 weeks 8| *pics

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
I picture of a model of a space ship is all I see and the conjecture of throwing in some magic dust to get it working. Why does the government fund this stuff?

If we don't talk about it, we're never gonna do it. We have to start somewhere, and this is where it's starting.

I might agree there are some more pressing matters to throw money at, but that money can definitely come from somewhere else besides space exploration. Complain about defense spending, complain about the salaries and bonuses of politicians and ceos, but don't complain about space, the final frontier...

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
I'd rather see research into nuclear fission/fusion drives.

Like this:
www.theregister.co.uk - NASA-backed fusion engine could cut Mars trip down to 30 days...
www.space.com - High-Tech VASIMR Rocket Engine Could Tackle Mars Trips, Space Junk and More...

Taking that long-haul approach to planting feet on Mars is a nonstarter, Chang-Díaz said. "I think we need to give the astronauts a fighting chance. That's why I believe we ought to do the technology development before we keep talking about Mars."

Using a VASIMR engine to make a superfast Mars run would require incorporating a nuclear reactor that cranks out megawatts of power, Chang-Díaz said, adding that developing this type of powerful reactor should be high on the nation's to-do list.

Ya, we're a long ways from achieving fusion propulsion, but I think we're even further away from creating spaceships that can warm space/time.

there are several fusion propulsion programs out there. don't worry we will have those. and as it happens Dr. Whites warp drive needs a conventional propulsion system to work. his speed figures depend on a craft travelling through real space at some speed. (he picked 10 percent c in order to have something to work his equations with to arrive at a max speed of 10 times C. )

the guy working on the helion fusion program (nearing 4rth stage prototype) also has a fusion rocket project with NASA. and that is about one of a half dozen small fusion efforts. several of which are about to get to the commercial demonstrator stage. some fusion projects not counting NIF JET and ITER are Lockheed Martin Skunk Works, (Helion, Tri Alpha, LPP, EMC2, Sorlox, and General Fusion). The timeframe is also very near term.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: spy66
a reply to: TiM3LoRd

It is odd that he never talked about how the ring was supposed to withstand Warp speed. The ring surrounding the ship would create the condition for the ship. But what will create the wright conditions for the Attached surrounding rings to fallow the ship and not break off?

The Whole thing would need the same conditions to Reach byond light speed.

the ring projects and shapes a field which is responsible for forming the skin of the warp bubble. the ring itself is in the isolated space within the bubble. negative energy works on space differently than regular mass and energy. it pushes it away. Dr white thinks he can greatly reduce of eliminate the need for negative energy or mass. but if he can't there are some potential ways to get some. there are a lot of issues with doing so. but they may be fixable.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jukiodone
The only "real" thing in this thread is the 3D Model.

Space folding and exotic matter that can be used to fold space are in the realms of Warp Drives and Dilithium crystals.

Just from a practical perspective, what happens to time when you fold space?

Never seen this properly answered by NASA.

Well I recommend you watch Dr Kramer's lecture on wormholes. towards the end of it he covers some interesting temporal effects associated with a wormhole with one end travelling towards a planet 1000's of light years way. the thing is he is among other things a professor emeritus of physics at a major univeristy. on top of that several physicists in his audience engaged him on aspects related to the question you asked wrt to wormhole FTL shortcuts.

example the distal end of the wormhole is travelling at 99 percent light speed. it will take thousands of years for it to reach the target. yet a few weeks into the trip if you look through the near end you will see the destination and in fact could use it to travel to the distant target. the wormhole links a point in the past to a point in the future as well as just connecting two locations in space. and get this: not one of the physicists said that part of it was forbidden by thier current understanding of the laws of physics.

now they evoked quantum gravity as in quantum gravity whatever form it eventually turns out to be will probably forbid it but current physics doesn't and in fact things evoked to forbid it like cosmic back pressure constrain it but actually make it easier in some ways. E.G; it explains how to steer the distant end of a wormhole easily. and it also allows some even more absurd things like the production of exotic energy for essentially free.

Kramer's talk:

edit on 22-7-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
another presentation on woodward's wormholes and the mach effect. this time at NAIC 2014. NAIC stands for NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts Symposium (NIAC 2014).

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
a reply to: TiM3LoRd

That's way cool, now if we can just stop blowing each other up and ting, mebbe we can build this and explore/infest the stars together etc etc

It also reminds me very much of the "Sisters of Eve" ships from Eve Online

Yours for only a few hours of grind!

Im flying this ship in eve right now

Pretty and dangerous (its called a stratios)

edit on b5858337 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

Great explanations.

You seem to have a solid understanding of this technology or at the very least what the scientists are describing.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiM3LoRd
a reply to: stormbringer1701

Great explanations.

You seem to have a solid understanding of this technology or at the very least what the scientists are describing.
oh, i am keenly interested in these sorts of things. i cut the conference video with Dr White's talk on it out of a much longer video and uploaded it onto my youtube account. it's the latest one i am aware of.

at any rate there are at least 5 ways to approach the negative mass energy thing that i have seen put forward in publication.

1. Casimir forces set up a condition of relative negative energy density between two closely spaced barriers. there is debate on whether a relative negative density behaves in all particulars as if it were negative energy for purposes of negative deformations of space.

2. squeezed light waveforms have a tiny component that is negative energy. working out how to grab that portion and amplify it and move it around seems to a laymen to be analogous to regular amplifier techniques. but i am not familiar with that enough to say that that is the case. physicists imply that this would be difficult but they are not engineers.

3. the region near black hole event horizons is chock full of negative energy. if so this should actually be relatively easy to access. remember the hooplah over the collider potentially making a mini black hole? such an event would not be dangerous (cosmic rays collide by the trillions at higher energy so any blackholes created vanish before they can feed and stabilize) and in fact might allow access to negative energy albeit with significant engineering issues.

4. like item three only involving quantum wormholes and not needing a collider.

5. Cosmic back reaction in macroscopic wormholes: throwing stuff into a wormhole magically generates it's opposite on the other end. positive energy input is negative energy output. as it happens this is more useful than harmful for wormhole tech. it can be used to hold a wormhole open, produce exotic energy and control the distal end of a wormhole. This greatly amuses me and annoys skeptics of wormhole travel.

In addition to the above which i have seen in theoretical discussion and articles about where to get the exotic matter/energy these are possibilities i have thought of myself using my Ko0K science powers as authorization:

6. recently there were articles about thermodynamically acceptable temperatures below zero degrees kelvin. you'd think that was absurd. it sound wackier than any kook science claim i have ever heard. but it's real. it seems to me that this would be negative energy.

7. dark matter. well it's possible however unlikely that some dark matter is exotic matter of the requisite properties.

8. Mirror sector matter. what are it's properties? are mirror photons negative in the sense we need for warps? if mirror matter exist as has been seriously proposed by many credentialed scientists then why can't other sectors of the universe exist which have the right properties? the cool thing with this is regular matter is easily converted to mirror matter under certain circumstances. it's like throwing a switch.

9. Time reversed particles or tachyonic particles would behave as negative energy (I think and hope.)

AND FINALLY: I believe Dr White has said in some of his presentations that he thinks he can eliminate the exotic matter requirements entirely by jiggering AC field waveforms in the ring the right way.

edit on 23-7-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: typo stuff

edit on 23-7-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-7-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: typos; typos everywhere.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Here's a little something that can be tied in to alcubierre warps and wormholes and quantum Vacuum Plasma Thrusters:

phys.org...

In that case, the fluctuation-mediated attraction between the atoms becomes orders of magnitude stronger than in free space. Usually, the force decreases rapidly with increasing distance between the atoms. Due to the transmission line, it falls off with one over the distance cubed, instead of one over the seventh power of the distance, as in the usual case.

The researchers believe that their proposed enhancement of the power of vacuum fluctuations can have profound implications for understanding Casimir- and Van der Waals forces and it may even be used for applications in quantum information processing and other emerging quantum technologies.

this is a tie in because :

1. it shows that quantum flux can be amplified.
2. it shows the area of action can be enlarged.
3. technique could be applied to tech that develops casimir scale force technology
4. it is possible that similar techniques could do for casimir derived negative energy and thus;
5. it could be of use for warp drive and wormhole science and later technology.

My opinion on it is stuff like this that will build the foundation for ZPE, warp and wormhole breakthroughs in the future.

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join