It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Majority Leader Cantor defeated in primary

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: neo96

Second that one, neo, people jump with joy right now, but taking into consideration how our political system and their politic-rats are failing America I don't see any changes anytime soon no matter which politic-crap party is in power.

I still don't see the Demo craps winning the white house but that doesn't mean the Republic rats will be any different.

Last week I would have agreed with you Marg. Tonight is a huge game changer for the GOP. This was supposed to be a slam dunk. Cantor outspent Brat 25 to 1. Brat ran on shrink government, bring the power back to the people, and free market. He ran on mainstream concerns of people. Plus he isn't a politician. He's a teacher.

Now, with this shakeup...every Republican will need to rethink their campaigns. Unplugs their heads from their ass, and run on what we the people want.

This is something big that happened tonight....

Des

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Amnesty did Cantor in,and that is all there is to say about that!

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

I imagine that it may seem big, but remember that we only got two parties running for government, everything else never get to make it because our politics are rigged.

So to me I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter the political party the agendas are the same, because anybody that goes again the status quo fail in Washington insiders club.

Remember Obama campaign on change, hope and transparency . . .

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Last week I would have agreed with you Marg. Tonight is a huge game changer for the GOP.

Not really

Lindsey Grahamn won relection.

www.politico.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Ralph Hall (R) of Texas 4th District, lost his bid for an 18th term in the House during the runoff election. Hall, who at age 91 is the oldest sitting member in the history of the House of Representatives, was the first incumbent to lose his bid for re-election. Boy, if we can keep this up, Congress might actually have to start working. Most of these folks are too old or have been in Washington way too long. Vote 'em all out!

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago
a reply to: snarky412

Agreed this is great news. I would also like to see this trend in both parties. Too bad the democrats don't have a group of true classical liberals to fight those lock step progressives.

You want to see the trend of those on the far left and the far right continuing to win elections? Extremists being elected is not a good thing.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

This is the first time...in the history of our government, the house majority leader has lost his primary while in office.

This is big. No matter what you say. Brat ran on Washington isn't working. No one there is listening to the people.

The voters proved him right.

Des

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Brat is not an extremist...far from it. He believes in our Constitution, free market for people, less taxes, and government getting out of everything we do. If you call that extreme, then I don't know what to say to you.

Des

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Agreed this is great news. I would also like to see this trend in both parties. Too bad the democrats don't have a group of true classical liberals to fight those lock step progressives.

You want to see the trend of those on the far left and the far right continuing to win elections? Extremists being elected is not a good thing.

I agree to a point.

Mainline Democrats and mainline Republicans are centered and stagnant and dangerous.

I would however rather see farther "Right" than farther "Left".

Far Right wants less government interferences and less central committees.

The far "Right" won't hurt anybody. The far Left will (as they do already).

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone
a reply to: marg6043

This is the first time...in the history of our government, the house majority leader has lost his primary while in office.

This is big. No matter what you say. Brat ran on Washington isn't working. No one there is listening to the people.

The voters proved him right.

Des

No it isn't, happened in 1899

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: Bassago

I agree, throw all the bums out! It would send a strong message if all incumbents lost their seats.

Because throwing out the experienced people who actually understand politics is a game of give and take, and know how to write legislation (even though they usually don't read it...) is a good thing right? Very conservative idea of yours to just get rid of them all. That was tried once before in history, by the extreme left actually. The Soviets killed all the greedy farmers, and got new people to run the farms. There was mass starvation. Then they killed all the skilled laborers and no one knew how to build anything of quality.

Now apply that to laws. That's part of the reason why legislation these days is so poor. It has to cater to extreme ideologues in both parties.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

So democrats are affraid because a republican lost is seat, makes sense right.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: Aazadan

I agree to a point.

Mainline Democrats and mainline Republicans are centered and stagnant and dangerous.

No the "right" will only hurt minorities, women's reproductive choices, and the poor, good try. Founding fathers, constitution, bill of rights, blacks are only 3/5ths, women were nothing, campaign on that why don't ya, and all of America will see where your heart lies.
edit on 6/10/2014 by BubbaJoe because: I can't spell

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Nobody in Washinton has been listening to the people for decades, my friend, remember that, and in those decades we have the same two political parties winning and losing.

Like I say things will change in Washington that is for sure and you don't have to be a political expert to know that, but will it make a difference?

That will be the question, as you can see it didn't when Obama took over and congress change hands.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

Yes Democrats in THAT District are bone-chilled and neck-frozen now.

Not because of Cantor Losing.

Because a "Tea Party" won and won't back Cantor's Liberal concessions.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

No the "right" will only hurt minorities, women's reproductive choices, and the poor, good try. Founding fathers, constitution, bill of rights, blacks are only 3/5ths, women were nothing, campaign on that why don't ya, and all of America will see where your heart lies.

All B.S.

We are talking about TODAY, not 200 years ago
[shakes head and twists neck]

They will back the enforcement of laws and the Constitution.

That includes all of your above.

All citizens will benefit without the Central Committee.

Sorry Komrade.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

Yes Democrats in THAT District are bone-chilled and neck-frozen now.

Not because of Cantor Losing.

Because a "Tea Party" won and won't back Cantor's Liberal concessions.

The "Tea Party" is all cool and everything, but is so far from the American mainstream, it will die off, much like it's aging, oxygen deprived followers.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
This is not a surprise at all.

Cantor ran afoul of the mainstream GOP, and was at odds with Boehner on too many occasions. Remember the rivalry between Cantor and Boehner/McConnell during the Republican-led sequestration and shut-down, that many mainstream Republicans felt hurt their party more than it did any good. They blame Cantor on causing that.

So it is no surprise that Cantor lost the Primary "election." The real question is did he really lose, or did party officials deliver the results the party bosses wanted?

All that happened here is the mainstream GOP got rid of one of their rogue members that didn't tow the party line.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Still making stuff up, cant wait for the next election when the right votes for jeb bush and the left for
Hillary clinton, cant wait for bumbing threads to point out how the right is delusional in thinking the usa is ready for a fascist state.

But keep on pushing the right wing agenda while the rest if the world evolves.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone
a reply to: Aazadan

Brat is not an extremist...far from it. He believes in our Constitution, free market for people, less taxes, and government getting out of everything we do. If you call that extreme, then I don't know what to say to you.

I'm not from Virginia so I didn't know his platform but I can make some guesses based on him being Tea Party endorsed. I just took a look at it. The "What We Believe" portion is a picture of an American flag and Ronald Reagan. Below that it talks about faith in a free market magically working, adherance to the constitution, the need for a very large military, and that we need to have faith in his God.

Already I disagree with him on everything other than the need for a national budget. A purely free market will destroy itself as some company grows too powerful, which means regulations have to exist. What we have now is not a free market, what we have is cronyism however the solution isn't to reduce regulations. That just lets cronyism thrive. The solution is to create regulations that prevent this behavior.

Blind adherance to the constitution isn't something I agree with either. It's not holy scripture, it's intended to be interpreted, modified, and reinterpreted over time. A very hands off and deferential approach to the constitution is the action of someone who reveres it not someone who understands it and believes they can do better.

Last, he's clearly referring to the christian God. He can worship any deity he wishes but to those of us who aren't Christian it is rather unappealing to have people in office that want laws based on their religion.

On his issues page, I think the guy is nuts. He wants to reduce spending but holds up defense spending as a sacred cow that should not only be exempt from cuts but should even be increased.

He gives no immigration plan other than he doesn't support amnesty. He gives no plan as to how to get the illegals out of the country.

His energy plan is just plain ignorant.

I agree with some of his policies but if this guy is the best option the party could put forward it's pretty pathetic. He offers no solutions just approval or disapproval for current policies.

Real people that want to change things have a plan, this guy doesn't.

I agree to a point.

Democrats and Republicans are both extremeists right now. Something you might find interesting (and once again proving the meme that there's an xkcd for every occasion) xkcd.com... There are far too many for my tastes on the far right and far left. If you put me on one of those political compasses I'm very much a centrist (the last time I took one I ended up in the exact center left/right and up/down). I don't like insane Republicans like this guy and I don't like insane Democrats like Pelosi or Reid (though Reid is very good for his state which is what he's supposed to do... the man should not have his current position though).

The far Right hurts lots of people because they remove regulations. For example, the dumping of coal ash. There are a lot of regulations that are very important. Corporations will kill us in the name of higher profits if they're allowed to and having regulations that stop them from doing so are very good. Regulation can and does go too far sometimes, but the culture of all regulation is bad is something I just don't agree with because it empowers corporations to do some real evil things. Just like too much regulation enables government to do those same evil things.
edit on 10-6-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join