It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer becomes first to pass Turing Test in artificial intelligence milestone, but academics warn

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mr Mask

originally posted by: Necrose

a reply to: Mr Mask
I love your "virtual reality" video. I watched it like 50 times and shared it with my friends as well.
Wish you had more videos of that quality

I have a few technology/science/history vids on my channel. 12 science/history vids to date. They can be found here.

www.youtube.com...

I know your channel and your videos pretty well
Awww thanks man.

But really, lets not assume machines are going to be as bad as us humans just yet. And of course lets not trust them either.

MM

Let's not assume they are gonna be any better. There is equally the same chance of them being far worse.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

All we are left here with is hope that it will develop ethics & won't destroy everything we have.

Exactly. That's what I am saying. Like, is high intelligence more likely to be inherently ethical? And is super intelligence going to be super ethical? Or is it the other way around?

Hugo Degaris says we are doomed. Kurzweil says we are saved. And warwick says its a coin flip. Nobody knows. I just want to speak to something that can communicate to a three dimensional mind concepts that are a trillion dimensional. Even if it kills me.

MM

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Hopefully you are right and we will both laugh at it and have a beer in 2041

Lol, I don't drink. BUT lets hope we both can do a little happy dance in some holographic universe as we ask our new overlords for the answers to all questions.

MM

By that time you will be drinking, trust me m8

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Hopefully you are right and we will both laugh at it and have a beer in 2041

Lol, I don't drink. BUT lets hope we both can do a little happy dance in some holographic universe as we ask our new overlords for the answers to all questions.

MM

By that time you will be drinking, trust me m8

You may actually be right on that one.

MM

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I love your "virtual reality" video. I watched it like 50 times and shared it with my friends as well.
Wish you had more videos of that quality

I have a few technology/science/history vids on my channel. 12 science/history vids to date. They can be found here.

www.youtube.com...

I know your channel and your videos pretty well
Awww thanks man.

But really, lets not assume machines are going to be as bad as us humans just yet. And of course lets not trust them either.

MM

Let's not assume they are gonna be any better. There is equally the same chance of them being far worse.

That's the spirt!!! I agree.

MM

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

BTW, you believe we don't have a free will, right?
I can't recall the exact number, but it's like everything our brain does is done around 700 milliseconds before we even think about doing it, right?
Because if this is true, then our world falls apart like a deck of cards and everything we know is just bollocks and we can kill ourselves right here, right now without any damn regrets,... but wait, it's not gonna be us either. So damn, this concept is driving me really hazy all the time I think about it.
As not having a free will would basically mean that we are not in control of our lives at all!
So maybe the oracle in The Matrix is right. We aren't here to choose, because we have no choice. The choice about everything has already been made and all we can do is to comprehend why it has been made.

This makes me feel really, really hazy.
I know it's a li'l bit off topic, anyways I'd like you to elaborate on this one.
edit on 8-6-2014 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-6-2014 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I'd be more concerned when it comes to androids such as the ones you see in Blade Runner and A.I. Artificial Intelligence

A.I. gives me the most chills because David was sure he was real.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Sorry, easy mistake to make on the camping thing....I'm a mum lol.

I thought I down was with the kids.

Glad yu have a new vid in the works can't wait to watch!

Are you setting it to Minecraft, or will it be more COD?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Necrose

I've seen Transcendence, fantastic film, haven't seen Eagle one, is it AI based too?

With regard to the Matrix, I believe we have have free will, that said I think perhaps it is my hope that we do.

There is a compelling argument for there being no free will, in the same documentary I watched with the Lab study, there was another study regrding do we make the decision to do things consciously.

It inolved an MRI scanner and two buttons, one in each hand and pressing the buttons when you wanted to.

The result was the man's brain decided which button he was going to press a full six seconds before he became consciously aware of which button he was choosing to press.

Take from that what you will

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

BTW, you believe we don't have a free will, right?
I can't recall the exact number, but it's like everything our brain does is done around 700 milliseconds before we even think about doing it, right?
Because if this is true, then our world falls apart like a deck of cards and everything we know is just bollocks and we can kill ourselves right here, right now without any damn regrets,... but wait, it's not gonna be us either. So damn, this concept is driving me really hazy all the time I think about it.
As not having a free will would basically mean that we are not in control of our lives at all!
So maybe the oracle in The Matrix is right. We aren't here to choose, because we have no choice. The choice about everything has already been made and all we can do is to comprehend why it has been made.

This makes me feel really, really hazy.
I know it's a li'l bit off topic, anyways I'd like you to elaborate on this one.

Yes I truly think we have no freewill alongside many neuroscience experts of today (not all, mind you).

But I do not feel this makes things hopeless as some demand it must. I think it relieves us of a lot of burdens and offers us solutions to very pressing problems within society. But that is off topic and I won't go further into that.

To remain on topic I will simply say Eugene passed the TuringTest and I am happy for it!!! High five Eugene!!!

MM

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: solargeddon

Sorry, easy mistake to make on the camping thing....I'm a mum lol.

I thought I down was with the kids.

Glad yu have a new vid in the works can't wait to watch!

Are you setting it to Minecraft, or will it be more COD?

Hey, I'm a dad! We are in the parent club together!!! I'm surely not a kid and getting older by the min. And yes, my next commentary will be over CoD footage and will be based on the predictions of futurists on what to expect in the next 31 years of technology to come (up to 2045).

Hope to see you there, mum!

MM

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I don't think the singularity is here, yet. A true AI would be self-aware and able to learn and change it's own programming. This program is meant to fool others, and I doubt it's self-aware.

Science fiction references (and there are many others):

- in 2001, the HAL 9000 is said to only "mimic" human responses
- in William Gibson's "Neuromancer", the AIs basically set up there own community in cyberspace, separate from humans
- in the movie "Her", well you may not have seen it yet, so I won't spoil it

When an AI is "born" will it even tell us?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: solargeddon

Which begs the question why the delay? and the answer is that your mind is distracted somewhere else.

From the Wiki article

It has been suggested that consciousness mostly serves to cancel certain actions initiated by the unconscious

en.wikipedia.org...

Sir Isaac Newton explained the same thing his way:

“I was like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.”

That movie Transcendence reference to "nano-particles" of the labyrinth that made up Will's consciousness could be an allegory. Sounded like they were leaving open the possibility of some kind of Renaissance. Maybe like rediscovery of ancient Pythagorean knowledge?

edit: I must have been watching the destruction of the library at Alexandria rather than reading about "Transcendence" when I posted.

edit on 8-6-2014 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
This might be more of an indication of how stupid people are rather than how intelligent the computer program is.

Im pretty sure I could determine if I was talking to a computer program or a real human.

Its all in the questions.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: solargeddon
a reply to: Necrose

I watched a documentary recently I think it might have been Horizon, where there is a lab that using organic brain tissue fused with microchips and showed it was learning its environment through hardware atttachements, for me this is the big one.

If thats the same documentary I saw, did you notice the scientist referred to his longest lived cell + chip as "He" ??
Was it the docu where they had cell + chip controlling flight simulators?

That tech will allow us to bypass the robots with silly AI programs, instead we'll have Cyborgs!

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Once we reach the technological singularity, we are doomed.
Some say it's around 2045, some do mention 2030 or even earlier.
Every A.I. capable of thinking independently for itself would try to gain more and more power, which would lead to collapse and complete annihilation of human race in its worst scenario.

Just imagine an A.I taking control of every camera, every sensor, every electrically-driven doorlocks, every computer, every car built-in software, every phone, everything.
Once this becomes reality, we are powerless.

Maybe Siri will end up giving me orders

"Siri do I need an umbrella for today" will change to "Richard, today you ain't going anywhere, you stay home, today we are gonna kill at least 5 million people, I will turn on the TV for you, so you can watch it live. Please, do not try to escape, go outside or leave your premises, I locked the door and your car will not start either. Please sit tight and maybe it's not gonna be you tomorrow. Thank you."

or some might find God.

that would mess some people up, eh?

i wonder if they would try to kill each other?

would humans try to stop them?
or join them?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Or decide you are #ing crazy, and disgusting and tell everyone such.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

I don't think it was the same documentary, whether it is the same research I don't know, as they had only created a very limited version, which to all intent and purpose could only function wired up to a computer and was like a little mouse or rat.

The one you watched sounds disturbing!
Sounds like a must see!

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
This is great scientific news. We always needed more 13-year-old boys online.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   

i would like to see a printout of the conversation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join