It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something to loosen the tongue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Something to loosen the tongue. Is this what wine is sometimes for? One of the more accepted intoxicants.
Do we need something to loosen our tongues?

My first post here so I will explain my philosophy as my tongue is loose

Intoxicants are used for various reasons: joy, escape, help, change.

Joy can be seen as an escape. An escape from your situation in the search for joy but usually leading to dependence or bigger problems.
Help can be to make you stronger such as a good medicine.
The change sought is part of the reason for taking an intoxicant.

You may argue against all or some. You may believe in live and let live, no harm to others views.

I heard a nice view when arguing against ones that may help. The argument for not taking was the risks and the thinking clean life style is better. The argument was yes clean life styles are good but we should try to find new things that make us stronger to current environments (such as polluted food or sun rays).

But I mention the ones that aren't for helping us physically but socially. To have fun, break out of boxes.
Because they can lead to worse problems than just accepting what you have they are frowned on. Things like wine, coffee and other stimulants.

Are these stimulating intoxicants bad for society?
Should we just loosen up ourselves or do intoxicants help?

Can intoxicants lead to a better life?

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Fruit flies get drunk too!

Yep, intoxicants are apparently nature's way of helping to cope... lol

How weird can nature be?

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: NowanKenubi

comfortably numb.

Do we in similar circumstances give up the race and opt for the search.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: guidetube

In Vino Veritas. A Latin phrase which translates to "in wine [there is the] truth" which can be traced all the way back to the Greeks.

There are many variations throughout other cultures. For example:

Russian - "What a sober man has in his mind, the drunk one has on his tongue"

In the Talmud - "Wine enters, secrets exit."

Also, when one thinks of a modern symposium held at a University, what do you picture? More than likely a bland, stuffy, monotonous academic discussion.

However, the word itself also comes from the Ancient Greeks, translating into "to drink together."

A symposium would be overseen by a "symposiarch" who would decide how strong the wine for the evening would be, depending on whether serious discussions or merely sensual indulgence were in the offing. The Greeks and Romans customarily served their wine mixed with water, as the drinking of pure wine was considered a habit of uncivilized peoples.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Although drinking more then one needs to leads to Telling it like it is or more whining! Most people run using a given plan about themselves throughout Life.

Yet the drink, drugs or whatever happens to float ones boat sometimes drops that wall and what is Within can show itself Indeed. Only the Days of Old are long gone. Have nothing to say good, keep it to yourself has gone out the window!

I wonder if it's all the pills being given out freely. Mix them with drink and close to crazy it has become. To speak the Truth is something long forgotten or ends up creating what people do not want to hear about themselves. Everything now is pointing to being Outside oneself vs. dealing with whats Within!

I'll have my drink now, Share..........Clink!

Peace

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: infoseeker26754

Moderation and temperance are key. Too much of a good thing, all that jazz.

Here's a description of the difference between proper and improper drinking from Dionysus, God of Wine, Merry Making, Theatre and Ecstasy.

"For sensible men I prepare only three kraters: one for health (which they drink first), the second for love and pleasure, and the third for sleep. After the third one is drained, wise men go home. The fourth krater is not mine any more - it belongs to bad behaviour; the fifth is for shouting; the sixth is for rudeness and insults; the seventh is for fights; the eighth is for breaking the furniture; the ninth is for depression; the tenth is for madness and unconsciousness."

Dionysus is represented by city religions as the protector of those who do not belong to conventional society and thus symbolizes everything which is chaotic, dangerous and unexpected, everything which escapes human reason and which can only be attributed to the unforeseeable action of the gods

*a krater is a large jar designed to be carried by 2 men.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Thats a lot of wine if one krater = todays Keg! Must have been a type-o and actually meant 3 glasses. No wonder why blindness exist today!

Since one can not have One without the Other, would it not be fair to inplore both, evil/good! Since no matter how one looks at it. If we had a Superhero saving the world. Would it also include the otherside of the coin? No need for Superman if we have no Lextor trying to rule the world!

Peace

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: infoseeker26754

Here's a picture of a Krater:

Not quite a keg, but in Greek society, drinking was done in groups averaging 15-30 people. Also, the wine was watered down, in different ratios varying from 3:1 water/wine to 1:1, depending on occasion.

Not sure if you have 6 point beer in your state, but I'm one state south of you, and we're limited to being able to buy 3.2% alcohol beer, if its cold. If you want something a bit stouter, like my personal favorites Pacifico and Red Stripe, gotta go to the liquor store (before 9 p.m. and closed on Sundays) and chill them yourself. Bars with a liquor license can also serve higher point beer cold, though.

However, in Texas, you can walk into any convience store and buy cold 6 point. Learned that the hard way on a road trip!

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

Road Trip? Texas?

Last time there, had to get home on foot and help along the way back to KS. Work having 2 following days off, at a motel even! Decided to walk to a Bar and have a Drink. Last I remember, Dancing and Woman buying Drinks! Woke up in jail, 24hrs stay or Pay Now!

3.2 here till 12, after 10 on Sundays, cold and even the hard stuff! Considered had to be at least 20 people there and until now, would have never seen.

Peace

top topics

join