It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Ate This Great White Shark… But What?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Mods: Not sure of the category this belongs in, move if needed.

Interesting video about a Great White shark that was tagged, and the data from the tag when it was discovered washed up on a beach.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Something big and hungry. Godzilla

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: RocksFromSpace

"We're gonna need a bigger boat."

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
A group of Orcas perhaps?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

But What?

Probably a Greater White shark , there was one that was bitten in half by a bigger Great White a few years ago

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

But What?

Probably a Greater White shark , there was one that was bitten in half by a bigger Great White a few years ago

Here's one with an Orca having a go, it's hard to understand the tack in that Ozzie story.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: goochball
The tracking tag stayed at a depth of 300m i think it was for some time..Orcas have to surface regularly of course to breath so its not any mammal, my money is on a bigger Great White..one thing about a Great White creates its own body temp..not like most fish which are cold blooded

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

edit on 6-6-2014 by 3u40r15m because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
It was my cousin Wilbur, a huge Red neck from down south ...he can dun eat anything!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
It was an Orca.. this is an old Documentry.

Orca breeding ground if I remember, no shark shall pass.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: goochball
The tracking tag stayed at a depth of 300m i think it was for some time..Orcas have to surface regularly of course to breath so its not any mammal, my money is on a bigger Great White..one thing about a Great White creates its own body temp..not like most fish which are cold blooded

It doesn't say how long for that particular dive. It does say the tag stayed at a high temperature for 8 days between the surface and up to 300Metres, In edit I should have said Feet not Metres.
edit on 6-6-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy
Ahh ok i thought i heard it stayed at depth, if it surfaced regulary than an Orca is possible..i wonder how often the tag collects its data?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Its a large assumption to say that the shark was eaten. It could be that something attacked it and bit a chunk out which had the tag. Maybe another shark.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

At 2:27, the narrator says that the tag recorded a temperature of 78 degrees for 8 days as it moved between the surface and a depth of 330 ft before it was released. The video shows some up and down movement though and if that is the actual movement over that 8 day period, then yep, it doesn't look like it broke the surface of the water until it was "released".

Maybe that's why they are puzzled about what ate the shark. If it was another shark, then it would've broken surface several times over the course of that 8 days so the video would've shown a depth of 330 and a breaking at the surface repeatedly. It doesn't show that.

Big ole octopus or monster squid? "There be monsters, here" sign buoys should probably be put up in the area, lol.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

The water temperature is not a static temp of 78 degrees. In fact, a temp of 78 degrees in an ocean setting would be cause for extreme concern, particularly in deeper water (ie 330 ft). A roughly 30 degree jump and static temperature regardless of ocean depth means that where the tag was was insulated and most likely by tissues. Ergo, stomach.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: smurfy
Ahh ok i thought i heard it stayed at depth, if it surfaced regulary than an Orca is possible..i wonder how often the tag collects its data?

Yes, that's why I thought of Orcas, but like you and Gortex say, it could have been a much larger Shark, although this one was a female and are usually larger than the male, though that's not to say. No, it's the way the docu treats the event as if a mystery, when there is an explanation. Who knows maybe the tag looked attractive to some other big fish who decided to nick it!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Bit a chunk out which had the tag...and swallowed it.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Pass the Ketchup!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Because I am on ATS and from N.Z.

I am going for an All Black Merman guess.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join