It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beam me up: Scientists say human teleportation is 'possible'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I saw this and couldn't believe no one had posted it yet!

Beam me up: Scientists say human teleportation is 'possible' as they transfer atoms three metres in groundbreaking experiment

Star Trek-style 'beaming up' of people through space could become a reality sometime in the far future, the leader of a landmark teleportation experiment has said.
Nothing in the laws of physics fundamentally forbids the teleportation of large objects, including humans, researchers claim.
They were able to transport an atom three metres with 100% accuracy.

a single atom 3 meters doesn't seem like much but when you consider the difference in scale from earlier experiments at the quantum scales this is huge leap forward....

The main issues with teleportation are accurate molecular scanning, storage space and energy requirements.... These are not obstacles we are going to overcome in the near future but certainly one day we will....

Star Trek is by far the most accurate in technology at least to where we are likely to find ourselves over the next few hundred years!

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 30-5-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Already a post on this.

The experiment did not teleport an atom, but used entangled particles to teleport the quantum states, so in reality its nothing like a star trek teleporter.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

I wouldn't want to be the first human trial

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Fascinating.

I wonder if big oil will kill it.

Seriously, pretty interesting stuff, looking forward to hearing of their next experiment.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: bhaal
Already a post on this.

The experiment did not teleport an atom, but used entangled particles to teleport the quantum states, so in reality its nothing like a star trek teleporter.

Bloody Main stream News!!!

It's the exact same experiment as before except rather than 1 meter it's over 3!

First Teleportation Between Distant Atoms

I swear to god the authors of these articles haven't a clue about what they are writing! That'll teach me to try and get something up first and believing what was written!

Mods... please close the thread.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

This is quantum entanglement, not teleportation. One day it could revolutionize communications by providing instant communication over vast distances, but it could never be applied to teleporting humans and I'm surprised that the professor even suggested it was possible to start with.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I thought the experiment was successful in teleporting data at a distance of 3 meters, not objects or any other physical thing.

Scientists Report Finding Reliable Way to Teleport Data

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
To all that are saying but it's entanglement and it's only for data....

YOU ARE RIGHT

I read the first few lines of this article and in a rush didn't read further... I know quite a lot about quantum teleportation as it has been a side study of my own for years and this is why it excited me as I knew that quantum teleportation had already been achieved so not new news.

I think it shows clearly that the person who wrote the article either sensationalized to the point of being untrue or didn't understand what the article was about.

I have asked that the Mods close the thread.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Telos

I thought the experiment was successful in teleporting data at a distance of 3 meters, not objects or any other physical thing.

I'm pretty sure they've teleported Data further than 3 meters , I've seen him beam down to planets lots of times.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

This is quantum entanglement, not teleportation. One day it could revolutionize communications by providing instant communication over vast distances, but it could never be applied to teleporting humans and I'm surprised that the professor even suggested it was possible to start with.

Perhaps scientists know more about quantum-entanglement than ATS users?

Perhaps there is more to know than the schmuck news we get about this on the Internet?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

I wouldn't want to be the first human trial

Yeah -- They should test it on a gorignak (a pig-lizard) first.
"Hold, please"

edit on 5/30/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Well, what about the microbes in our body, what would happen to them? Even if you could transport matter, what about memories and knowledge that people hold? We cannot even fathom the process of memory formation yet, we can kind of understand the way memories are held, but the complete process in the brain is way above comprehension. Also, we have memories on all cells, organs, DNA, and in our immune system components, not all of our intellect is in our brain. The brain just ties these things together and moderates the information like moderators on this site.

I call this a misconception created by our pride in our knowledge. We may be able to build things on the moon by teleportation of information or maybe send our consciousness through space, but not our bodies. An advanced civilization could create a world by interacting with life on it through a telepathic transfer of information and consciousness, but it could not send a person through this method.

It is alright to dream though, as long as that dream does not cause a lot of hardship for others. To fund research on this would mean that everyone would have to work more to pay for it. Every time one of these projects is created, it costs everyone. Weather it is because of the increase of the cost of a product we consume or if it is a tax created by the government. A billionare funding a project like this may tack a penny on every candy bar...that doesn't sound like much until you think of the hundreds of these kinds of projects going on.

Lets just focus on taking care of our world. That is a really good investment towards mankinds future. We need to help the earth provide for us without us having to create everything. We do not need to burn out or destroy the topsoil to make fuels. We should be designing things so we do not need these fuels. Once the topsoils are depleted and the fresh water is polluted, everyone is screwed, we will then start destroying each other to survive. We need to evaluate our future so we can actually someday meet some aliens on a proper basis, not one of dispare.
edit on 30-5-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Well, what about the microbes in our body, what would happen to them? Even if you could transport matter, what about memories and knowledge that people hold? We cannot even fathom the process of memory formation yet, we can kind of understand the way memories are held, but the complete process in the brain is way above comprehension.

I have no reason to beleive that memories are held anywhere other than the matter in the brain (the cells, synapses, brain chemicals, etc.). If all of that can be recreated elsewhere in the same configuartion, then I think the memories will be recreated, too.

It's not like a memory is a separate "thing" that exists outside of matter (well, at least I really really doubt it is).

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Recreating the matter is possible, including the memory cell, but making sure the memory is in the proper sequence of thought is critical. I don't think it will ever be possible to recreate the sequence pattern by teleportation.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Recreating the matter is possible, including the memory cell, but making sure the memory is in the proper sequence of thought is critical. I don't think it will ever be possible to recreate the sequence pattern by teleportation.

Yes.

The scanning of the original (down to the minutest subatomic detail), and then cataloging of all of that information down to that detail, and the re-creation (down to that detail) seems like an IMMENSELY HUGE technological hurdle in this.

edit on 5/30/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: speellling

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

We can't even comprehend the complexity of something like this. It will be thousands of years to gain that comprehension at the rate things are going.

But someone will spend a ton of money and say everything is going great. The reason you went home to the wrong house afterwards has nothing to do with the procedure, it was an underlying desire to own the other place. The fact that you need fifteen medications to be even close to normal after the test is not from the teleporting, you would have had that happen anyway. It was all a coincidence.

I'm glad I won't be around to be talked into being a guiney pig when they start doing this. I hope my offspring are smart enough to just say no. Like I said, sending instructions and 3d printing something like a tool or part is about as far as we need to go with this. But even then, 3d printers will probably take away jobs from the regular joe. I can see ninety five percent of society poor in the next ten years with the other five percent living like kings. Well, that won't actually be bad, I can see raising my own animals and garden and storing food for the winter. It will be like the old days, as long as someone doesn't teleport into my basement and steal my food.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Yep the OP made a booboo but we've all done it.

Even if true teleportation becomes a future technological reality I suspect the brain will be transported but the mind and consciousness will be left behind. There's so many particles to deal with.

I reckon the most likely way we'll be able to teleport is with the power of the mind without technology.

new topics

top topics

join