It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am Sick of the Memorial day freedom crap

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Everywhere I go... *thanks for your service, and fighting for our freedom!* If anything, these recent wars have taken away more freedom. Why can't people understand that we fight not for "freedom" but for political issues? The man? Brainwashed America I swear.
Firepiston

Prior service Infantryman, U.S. Army

+14 more 
posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
MEMORIAL DAY

"Beneath this stone rests a soldier of Washington's army who died to give you liberty."

edit on 5/26/2014 by FlyersFan because: bold

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: FirePiston
Sorry dude.... but it is the politicians taking our freedoms!
Yes... I thank soldiers for our freedom...I have had a lot of family members that served in WW1,WW2, Korea, Veitnam and the gulf wars...Me I am a Fire firefighter...worked at 9/11...people tell me all the time...thanks for service and appreciate it!
If you can't thank a Vet maybe time for you to move to another country like France!

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
As far as I know, Memorial day started to commemorate the soldiers who died fighting for their freedom in the American Civil War. I guess the sentiment lives on. I just don't see how you can be so caught up on displays of gratitude when there is so much hatred in this world. But hey, this is the rant forum, so rant away.

Humble civilian

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Hundreds of thousands lost boys and Men in wars, most of the kids like my brother taken out of college at 18 to go to Vietnam, it was not his choice and he had to believe he was fighting for US as he was told otherwise how do you get through the slaughter and misery?

Then there was the world wars, this is about them also, the loss of so many, was it for our freedom? I don't know, but I know that a lot of the dead ...probably most of them believed they were doing it for the American people and they died for that.

edit on 26-5-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

You may be sick or it...but not the millions and millions of families, soldiers and Americans who celebrate and remember it each year.

You have a right to feel that way...but more interestingly...I'd like to understand why you have such a large chip on your shoulder for all of us who DO celebrate it?

PS: And? Thank YOU for your service to our country and its freedoms.....

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
First off let me say thank you for,serving. Glad we're not honoring you today. If we were you'd be dead. I bet your family would be glad for the opportunity to honor your sacrifice. What freedom have you lost I'd like to know. Me I haven't lost anything. I have gained the freedom to post my opinion on a world wide open forum without threat that a government person is going to come and permanently shut my mouth. Like they do in other countries. f reply to: FirePiston

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If you can't see yourself at least thinking about all the soldiers who have died under arms for this country, think of Memorial Day as for all soldiers who have ever died in service to their countries in the history of humanity. Then think of the hundreds of millions of civilians who were killed as "collateral damage," or, in many cases, intentionally on the orders of some psychopathic despot who insisted God was on his side. Although I'm sure there are many soldiers who have willingly volunteered because they believed in their cause, or because they believed their country was attacked unfairly and unprovoked (My father was one of them.) most soldiers are not on the battlefield willingly, have never killed anyone else at all, and have been basically fodder for whatever war machine was moving at the time. They are there because they were forced, because economics made it their only viable choice, or because their own society compelled them. NOBODY on Omaha Beach was thinking, "I'm fighting for the freedom of my countrymen." when they died in a hail of gunfire.

I'm not sure why you pointed out you once served in the US Army. Do you think that gives you some sort of credibility? It actually makes it more shameful that you've been there and still don't get it. You think you have no freedoms? You can voice your rant with impunity knowing you can do so without any real harm being visited upon you. That's what freedom of speech is about. Say something like you did in many countries of the world today and you would be eliminated. I can see why.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Well you certainly said what I said only a thousand times better!
a reply to: schuyler

edit on PM000000310000000552231312014-05-26T13:31:11-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Enjoy it while it last. When I got out of the Marines in 73 they called us baby killers and threw garbage on us. We were told if we did anything they would arrest us. We have a lot more freedom than most. At least you served most don't and others put us down for the things we do for the country. Semper Fi.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
When I was sixteen I had the privilege to visit the Arizona memorial in pearl harbor. I cried like a baby reading that long list of names on the wall. I visited the Berlin wall when it still stood and was glad I was on the western side of it.
In 1980 I visited the wall in Washington DC. That's the Vietnam memorial. Though much older than I was when I went to Hawaii or Germany I still cried like a baby then thanked God that everyone I knew who went to Vietnam actually came home again. That was not true of many families I knew at the time. I'm glad we've set this day aside to remember those brave souls. But really we should remember every day.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Amen brother.

But you have to realize that they cant tell the truth.

The establishment cant say that they view American lives as worthless. To realize this fact, one doesnt have to look any further than the VA and the treatment of veterans in general.

That risking their lives and terrorizing others has nothing to do with "freedom". What are they going to say, that the military is the enforcement division of corporate America? That youre being sent to die and to kill so multi-national corporations can profit...

And its nothing new. Been going on for a long long time.

United States Marine Corps Major General, Smedley Butler:

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.

I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902–1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested.

Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.

edit on 26-5-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
There seems to be a growing number of service men & women who aren't all fuzzy wuzzy over Memorial Day & Veterans Day. I can't say I blame them, it's used as a wedge. "Don't think the service in < insert country here > was worth it? INGRATE!" I especially love it when someone rejects a memorial day line, and someone else overhears it & puts their two cents' worth in only to have a military ID whipped out. The sputtering & backtracking is amusing at the very least.

I've always been interested in why there isn't one day for the military. My husband (army vet) suggested a simple single Military Appreciation Day, without fawning sycophancy required. A quiet nod, he says, would mean much more than making a spectacle out of it twice over.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee
Then there was the world wars, this is about them also, the loss of so many, was it for our freedom? I don't know...

Personally, in my eyes that is the saddest part about the whole entire thing...

The fact that those who fight and die in wars have no idea what is really behind them.

I served 4 years in the Navy.

But I didn't have the slightest CLUE about the hidden agenda.

All wars are contrived to demoralize, degrade and destroy humanity.

One important fact about wars that very few seem to understand is that all wars are carefully planned, scripted, staged, and orchestrated into existence just like any other Hollywood production.

The true purpose behind them is ALWAYS concealed by lies.

Incessant wars have no purpose other than to increase the wealth and power of the Illuminati, reduce the population, and create a global police state.

History is nothing but lies and ALL wars are started on purpose!

"All war is based on deception." -- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"Wars are all based on lies, could not be fought without lies" — Charles M. Young.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Damn i didn't know smedly bulter came out and said something like that!
Wonder if chesty ever agreed with any of that....

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Regardless of why wars are really fought, many of the men and women who've died fighting them, did so because they believed that they were fighting for the common good, not for corporate interests, or population culling.

The fact that they had these virtues in their minds and hearts when they took up arms and put their lives on the line, is the reason I celebrate them, and their sacrifices.

To the OP, try to look past the oligarchs and special interests; instead, look at the reasons that those who have died believed that they were dying for. That is the real reason to celebrate.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos
To the OP, try to look past the oligarchs and special interests; instead, look at the reasons that those who have died believed that they were dying for. That is the real reason to celebrate.

See, but it's really not about that anymore. It's bordering on military worship. People are verbally skinned alive if they don't celebrate or acknowledge either Memorial or Veterans Day. What good did any of the losses do for us if that's the result? I think the special interests and reasons behind wars and invasions do need to be considered. A blind following for something isn't wise.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos

See, but it's really not about that anymore. It's bordering on military worship. People are verbally skinned alive if they don't celebrate or acknowledge either Memorial or Veterans Day. What good did any of the losses do for us if that's the result? I think the special interests and reasons behind wars and invasions do need to be considered. A blind following for something isn't wise.

There is always going to be people who do not appreciate the sacrifices of others, regardless of the cause. Likewise, there will always be those that verbally attack those that do not appreciate those sacrifices.

If the deaths of millions of soldiers has done any good, I submit that that good is the bringing together of those that do appreciate that sacrifice; those that know that these people who are now gone, who've laid their lives down for what they believed in, have a day or two to remember them with the honor that they deserve for doing so.
edit on 5/26/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: edited for clarity.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

That's not true. Who says anything if you don't celebrate either of those days?

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I agree but for different reasons. I feel the holiday has been overtaken by political interests to spread propaganda and instill a devotion to the serving armed forces instead of the ones who have served. I was watching a ballgame this afternoon and everyone was thanking the troops that are serving now. No reference to any of the past wars and troops the holiday is supposed to commemorate.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join