It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honor on Memorial Day Weekend: What's worth the price, is always worth the fight.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
One year ago yesterday, my best friend lost five of his brothers. The kind of brothers he relied on when their lives are on the line. Brothers who were there when he first got to base, who trained together in the grueling hot dessert for months on end, before making a trip halfway around the world, to the middle of nowhere; Afghanistan. My best friend endured an IED, bullets ripping holes in his gear, and having to loose 5 of his best friends.

Please honor our fallen heroes, veterans, and those currently serving and on tour. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be so lucky as to have freedoms anymore. Not just Memorial Day, but all weekend long. Fly that flag proud! When Tuesday comes, don't forget while you are complaining of a hang over, there are those who fought for your right to celebrate this Memorial Day, who cannot themselves.

"Whats worth the price, is always worth the fight."

edit on 5/23/14 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: SixX18

I hope you will take the time to pass my condolences along to your friend ... from his other brother from a different mother. He'll understand what I mean.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   

The cost.The terrible price they've paid so we can practice such things as freedom of speech,like here.Yes of course these brave souls have earned the right to be on our minds this weekend.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

I hope you will take the time to pass my condolences along to your friend ... from his other brother from a different mother. He'll understand what I mean.

I will, and I understand what you mean too. Picked up on the lingo.

originally posted by: TDawg61

The cost.The terrible price they've paid so we can practice such things as freedom of speech,like here.Yes of course these brave souls have earned the right to be on our minds this weekend.

They sure have. The NASCAR race in Charlotte, Sunday evening is going red, white, and blue. Most the cars are painted up like flags, with stars, stripes, RW&B all over, and names of heroes written on the cars.

edit on 5/23/14 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

-Mark Twain

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: SixX18

Please honor our fallen heroes, veterans, and those currently serving and on tour. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be so lucky as to have freedoms anymore.

I disagree. There is no external threat to our "freedoms". If anyone thinks some backwater ME nation is a "threat to freedom" at home, they are delusional. The real treat is entirely internal to this nation, and in that respect, the military is failing as they fight manufactured foreign enemies, and ignore the true domestic ones who are destroying the nation from the inside out.

While you all wave your flags and praise the kids who go off to die as invaders and celebrate their "courage", nothing is changing for the better at home; its just getting worse and worse and worse, because the enemy isnt OUT THERE... its IN HERE, and its being completely ignored by the ones who have the actual physical power to engage it.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: CaticusMaximus

originally posted by: SixX18

Please honor our fallen heroes, veterans, and those currently serving and on tour. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be so lucky as to have freedoms anymore.

I disagree. There is no external threat to our "freedoms". If anyone thinks some backwater ME nation is a "threat to freedom" at home, they are delusional. The real treat is entirely internal to this nation, and in that respect, the military is failing as they fight manufactured foreign enemies, and ignore the true domestic ones who are destroying the nation from the inside out.

While you all wave your flags and praise the kids who go off to die as invaders and celebrate their "courage", nothing is changing for the better at home; its just getting worse and worse and worse, because the enemy isnt OUT THERE... its IN HERE, and its being completely ignored by the ones who have the actual physical power to engage it.

My friend and his brothers were in Afghan to protect the highways, and protect 7 year old girls going to school because they would be beheaded for having an education if it weren't for them protecting them.[snip]. We talked just tonight about police state, you have no idea what a police state is. They were over there, protecting people from being dragged out of houses and put on their knees and shot in the back of their head, then left for the families to bury their husband/father in the dirt. You are among the jobless clueless people who sit at a computer and only want to see the bad, and never the good. So cops kill people in the states, that is something that a very few cops do. He told me he served 8 months and never killed anyone unless they were firing upon him and his brothers. For every man he killed, there were hundreds that walked around a corner and startled him, threatening him, that they never killed even though they could have. There is a moral to war, and life. Respect for freedom, and life. He got into a fight with an anti gay person who hated that PA legalized gay marriage. My friend is married, not gay, and we agreed who cares what someone else does, if they are gay they can be gay. HE AND HIS FALLEN BROTHERS FOUGHT FOR US TO HAVE FREEDOM, MORE FREEDOM, AND NOT HAVE FREEDOM TAKEN AWAY. OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE USING YOUR FREEDOM TO BECOME A ROACH, BUT THAT IS YOUR RIGHT. YOU CAN THANK THE ARMED FORCES THAT YOU ARE HERE TODAY TO DETEST OUR TROOPS, AND I CAN THANK THEM FOR BEING ABLE TO SAY [snip]
edit on 5/24/14 by SixX18 because: misspelled a word

edit on 24-5-2014 by Kandinsky because: snipped for manners

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Black_Fox
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

-Mark Twain

Thank you for your inspiring quote, and touching video!

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   

I believe in memorializing fallen military personnel as a matter of respect - the same as anyone else who deserves to be remembered.

I'm not so sure of your claim that current personnel are fighting for any American freedoms whatsoever. They are employees of the state and hired to be told what to do and unfortunately, this means trapse around the world and invading and demolishing other countries.

There is no honour in that - aside from their own personal courage in the face of danger - and they aren't in the middle of nowhere. They are simply in a place which isn't the USA.

I'd be curious as to what freedoms you believe you still have and especially what freedoms you believe your military personnel are fighting for.

Enjoy your weekend.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: gusdynamite

I believe in memorializing fallen military personnel as a matter of respect - the same as anyone else who deserves to be remembered.

I'm not so sure of your claim that current personnel are fighting for any American freedoms whatsoever. They are employees of the state and hired to be told what to do and unfortunately, this means trapse around the world and invading and demolishing other countries.

There is no honour in that - aside from their own personal courage in the face of danger - and they aren't in the middle of nowhere. They are simply in a place which isn't the USA.

I'd be curious as to what freedoms you believe you still have and especially what freedoms you believe your military personnel are fighting for.

Enjoy your weekend.

Spend 8 months in the Afghan dessert, and tell me you aren't in the middle of nowhere.

I can agree with you that they aren't fighting for our freedoms in ways most people would like, but would you like to have more 9/11 type events, Boston Bombings every week, another country invade our soil? We may be "world police" to some, but when you actually know what is going on, and not reading what is mostly BS from people who never have, and never will leave this country, especially to put your life on the line for your country, you are just ignorant. ATS is about denying such ignorance. Our troops are deterring the rest of the world from doing the same to us. It sucks, but it is life. Has been since BC. This is Memorial Day, how can you sit back and not respect. One day maybe you will find yourself at home wishing another country will come and save you from being executed and terrorized, and when they show up, will you tell them what you just posted? Or thank them for saving you and your loved ones from being murdered.

Oh, and as for "freedoms I still believe", I can do most anything I want, illegal or not, in this country. But in Afghanistan girls are beheaded for going to elementary school. Nuff said.

edit on 5/24/14 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread OP! While I know America isn't the most popular patch of land on the planet to everyone, I hope folks can appreciate the importance the day holds for individual members. Some of whom have a national cemetary to visit this weekend. Some, more than one.

I thought I'd share a couple videos I'll be playing this weekend for my own personal reasons of calling this Holiday important.

....and perhaps one of the most meaningful for Memorial Day.

God Bless Those Who Have and Continue to Serve.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   

I don't want to get into anything with you because I'm as respectful as anyone should be, but what happens in Afghanistan is none of the U.S. Military's business and the sooner people realise this, the better.

I do believe in the honouring of personnel, but not just for the sake of it. If a McDonalds exploded, there wouldn't be a memorial weekend for them.

I'm not an American, but I join you in your remembrance of people who have fallen in combat for their fellow citizen's freedom.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: gusdynamite

I don't want to get into anything with you because I'm as respectful as anyone should be, but what happens in Afghanistan is none of the U.S. Military's business and the sooner people realise this, the better.

I do believe in the honouring of personnel, but not just for the sake of it. If a McDonalds exploded, there wouldn't be a memorial weekend for them.

I'm not an American, but I join you in your remembrance of people who have fallen in combat for their fellow citizen's freedom.

I respect you for that. I too have been there where I was on the fence about our "wars", but you said you are not an American, so don't judge us on Afghanistan, because they mothered OBL who caused 9/11. If it weren't for 9/11, we wouldn't be there today (unless another 9/11 type attack happened). The US is trying to civilize that country, as most of the citizens of Afghan want. I bet they don't want another country to have to bring military in, however, we are rebuilding the country, and they are very grateful for our help in some areas. Others don't care and want us to leave, and others want us to leave because they want to continue terrorism. It seems that when the Afghans are near a base they love it for the safety, but the ones further away are on the fence and hate that we are there. It's a matter of the point of view.

Regardless, RESPECT, as you have said, is what this weekend is celebrating.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000
Thanks for the thread OP! While I know America isn't the most popular patch of land on the planet to everyone, I hope folks can appreciate the importance the day holds for individual members. Some of whom have a national cemetary to visit this weekend. Some, more than one.

I thought I'd share a couple videos I'll be playing this weekend for my own personal reasons of calling this Holiday important.

....and perhaps one of the most meaningful for Memorial Day.

God Bless Those Who Have and Continue to Serve.

Thank you! Isn't that the truth. Funny how these bands no one likes have some of the best songs for the right moments.
edit on 5/24/14 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Indeed, there is a saying I recall from childhood.

The very BEST thing and the very WORST thing a foreign nation could see appear off their shore was a United States Carrier Battle Group. Best, because they bring the Docs and they bring the Dinner in ways no one else on Earth can when all hell has broken loose and life as the locals know it went right down the crapper from a disaster. Worst.....for reasons we all know, all too well in more recent times, unfortunately.

I think there was another sentiment I came to be raised with and that was the growing sense and eventual acceptance of regret for how the United States Soldier was treated after Vietnam.

I don't know for sure because circumstance didn't give me the opportunity to serve. What I do know of US Vets though? Not a shot is fired by the individual men for a political talking point or concept. It's to save the brother or sister on their left, and the one on their right as those two are doing their best to save his.

Credit where credit is due....with politicians who start it and can never finish what they do. Memory to those sucked into the meat grinder, so we never had to be.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000

I don't know for sure because circumstance didn't give me the opportunity to serve. What I do know of US Vets though? Not a shot is fired by the individual men for a political talking point or concept. It's to save the brother or sister on their left, and the one on their right as those two are doing their best to save his.

I'm lost for words, I think I need to go to bed, because I keep watching these videos you posted of widows and children without a father, and I even teared up a bit. The 2nd vid with the wife holding her Marine husband with his face and hands burned badly, she doesn't care what he looks like, all she cares about is that she is holding him. God Bless America and the ones who serve(d).

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Do you hear yourself? Boiled down, its this:

"We had to because of the children"

"It was for womens rights"

"He didnt kill anyone unless they defended their country against the unwelcome foreign invasionary force he was part of"

"But its OK hes cool because he punched a guy in the face who was anti-gay"

Your entire reply is invasion apologetics loaded with irrelevant material, and apparently evidenced by the multiple snips, misguided rage at an argument you definitely understand, sense is partly or mostly true, but cannot bring yourself to evaluate objectively for whatever reason you have.

America is being conquered from the inside out. The military, the collective entity that has the physical might to do something about it, is doing nothing about it, and in fact accelerating the afore mentioned conquering by being absent and occupied in frivolous pursuits when The People need them most.

Youll probably just repeat the same thing youve said but in a different fashion, but I have to ask you to specifically elaborate and defend this piece from your response:

HE AND HIS FALLEN BROTHERS FOUGHT FOR US TO HAVE FREEDOM, MORE FREEDOM, AND NOT HAVE FREEDOM TAKEN AWAY

... because it is blatantly obvious; it is literally so in your face as to be considered self-evident truth by practically everyone on the planet, that the US is much less free than it was 13 years ago by practically every significant metric thinkable.

So please, as the quote above is the crux of all this, defend it. Show how America is generally MORE free than is was 13 years ago. Show how your friend and "his brothers" shooting people in A-stan has prevented NDAA2012, the patriot act, patriot act 2, uncontrolled mass domestic surveillance by the NSA and others, legalized assassination of American citizens with drones (or anything convenient) based on, essentially, hunches, militarized police forces preparing to engage citizens as the enemy, "free speech zones", an effectively defunct 4th amendment, etc etc.

Defend your claim with logic and facts; not emotion and hyperbole.

edit on 5/24/2014 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: CaticusMaximus

So please, as the quote above is the crux of all this, defend it.

Just an observation here, but I believe the thread is geared toward the memory of United States Service Members from ALL wars. Not one specific one or one specific era, but going back to the first days and first fights our nation came to be formed by.

At least, that is how I see it, as I'm among those making the trip to a National Cemetery to pay my respects to an American who gave some in battle before giving all in the end. All in service of one form or another.

Not every thread in all 100 forums of ATS is a debate or adversarial discussion thread. I'd hope we can, as Americans on this website, enjoy one or perhaps even a couple threads for our National Memorial Day without the need to fight for the mere right to enjoy this Holiday.

It is merely my opinion stated here...nothing more, but it's as heart felt as anything I've posted.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: CaticusMaximus

What's your problem?

Just go and be angry somewhere else. This thread is about paying respect.

I was taught there was a time and place for everything. They're not always the same you know?

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiedDestructor

Just go and be angry somewhere else.

Im not the angry one name calling, getting moderated, and shouting into the keyboard. Ive done nothing other than disagree, and ask the OP to defend his claims that America is now MORE free than it was 13 years ago because of the actions of soldiers in A-stan.

If he, or anyone else, can show evidence that Americans have gained more freedom than they have lost in the time frame America has been in Afghanistan, and attribute those gains to the actions of the military, then Ill be happy to do as the OP asks, and honor the soldiers whove participated and are participating in this "conflict".

Until then, I see the entire premise of this thread as misguided, as its centered around honoring the current and recent military personnel in Afghanistan, who I do not believe are engaged in a noble cause whatsoever.

Ill leave it at that though. Im not expecting any reasonable, non-emotionally charged responses that might actually address my disagreement anyway.

edit on 5/24/2014 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join