It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living cells captured in pyramid cages (pics included)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on May, 21 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I came across this while looking up something totally unrelated.

Scientists use microscopic pyramids to house cells to observe how they interact in 3D.

Pretty impressive regardless. Whats cool is that the cells behave as if there is nothing unusual going on.

This microscopic pyramid is actually a cage for a living cell, constructed to better observe cells in their natural 3D environment, as opposed to the usual flat plane of a Petri dish. Researchers from the University of Twente in the Netherlands made the cage by depositing nitrides over silicon pits. When most of the material is peeled away, a small amount of material remains in the corners to create a pyramid. Because the pyramids have holes in the sides and are close together, the cells can interact for the most part as they naturally do. "The thing is because they're so open, [cells] can easily make connections to the outside," said Aart van Apeldoorn, one of the researchers. "The 3D surface is more or less mimicking how cells act in actual tissues. Everything in our body is three-dimensional."

Linky link

+10 more 
posted on May, 21 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TiM3LoRd

(Jaw on ground)

Little cells for cells. Do we really have to put everyone and everything in jail?

Look at the poor guys reaching out with their tendrils to make contact with their fellow prisoners.

Poor, little guys.

edit on 21-5-2014 by intrptr because: additional

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Very cool!

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
God Will be proud

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

(Jaw on ground)

Little cells for cells. Do we really have to put everyone and everything in jail?

Look at the poor guys reaching out with their tendrils to make contact with their fellow prisoners.

Poor, little guys.

The second thing that really stuck out to me apart from the really cool pyramids were the cells reaching out to make contact with the other cells. Very cool indeed.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   

(Jaw on ground)

Poor, little guys.

That's the hardest I've laughed today.

"These are your brain cells.. and these are your brain cells, after a drug possession conviction"

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
That picture,.......is freakin mind blowing......!

That is all......
edit on 21-5-2014 by GoShredAK because: Oops

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

(Jaw on ground)

Poor, little guys.

That's the hardest I've laughed today.

"These are your brain cells.. and these are your brain cells, after a drug possession conviction"

Not in Colorado

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

That is friggin' awesome! I mean, I don't want to even guess what applications may be opened up by this tech. This is one of the coolest things I have ever seen, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
The University of Twente website offers a lot more information about the used methods and possible future uses of the technique.

Very interesting! S+F from me.
edit on 22/5/2014 by RationalDespair because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Cools pics...

Does anyone know the name of the "spiders webs" between those cells as I honestly cant remember anything about them from Biology.

I thought cells communicated using signalling molecules between membranes not physical connections...as another part of the question; what is the intermediary through which these "spiders webs" run ( is is air, plasma. agar jelly etc) in the pics?

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
S&F!

Wow!

It seems the cells in the pictures are ...

3D Nanofabrication of Fluidic Components by Corner Lithography [Abstract]

The use of these arrays of nanowire cages for capturing single primary bovine chondrocytes by a droplet seeding method is successfully demonstrated, and changes in phenotype are observed over time, while retaining them in a well-defined pattern and 3D microenvironment in a flat array.

And Chrondrocytes are ...

Chondrocytes (from Greek chondros cartilage + kytos cell) are the only cells found in healthy cartilage. They produce and maintain the cartilaginous matrix, which consists mainly of collagen and proteoglycans. Although the word chondroblast is commonly used to describe an immature chondrocyte, the term is imprecise, since the progenitor of chondrocytes (which are mesenchymal stem cells) can differentiate into various cell types, including osteoblasts. How chondrocytes are organized within cartilage depends on the type of cartilage and where they are found in the tissue

So the cells are cow cartilage cells making collagen connections whilst caged!

I wonder if the micro pyramids exert any kind of Pyramid power on to the housed cells

edit on 22/5/2014 by petrockopera because: Edited to add the Abstract link.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
OMG ! this is fascinating, one of the coolest things Ive seen in a while.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: petrockopera
S&F!

Wow!

It seems the cells in the pictures are ...

3D Nanofabrication of Fluidic Components by Corner Lithography [Abstract]

The use of these arrays of nanowire cages for capturing single primary bovine chondrocytes by a droplet seeding method is successfully demonstrated, and changes in phenotype are observed over time, while retaining them in a well-defined pattern and 3D microenvironment in a flat array.

And Chrondrocytes are ...

Chondrocytes (from Greek chondros cartilage + kytos cell) are the only cells found in healthy cartilage. They produce and maintain the cartilaginous matrix, which consists mainly of collagen and proteoglycans. Although the word chondroblast is commonly used to describe an immature chondrocyte, the term is imprecise, since the progenitor of chondrocytes (which are mesenchymal stem cells) can differentiate into various cell types, including osteoblasts. How chondrocytes are organized within cartilage depends on the type of cartilage and where they are found in the tissue

So the cells are cow cartilage cells making collagen connections whilst caged!

I wonder if the micro pyramids exert any kind of Pyramid power on to the housed cells

The pyramid power idea did occur to me too but I haven't seen much info in terms of scientific studies to back up any claims. I have heard they can sharpen dull blades. Be interesting if it does have some sort of energetic influence on the vitality and growth of the cell.
edit on 22-5-2014 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Are the little pieces laying around just outside the cages living things too? Or maybe dust. And what do the guards feed these cells in the cages, or are they starving them? Cruel and rather unusual punishment.

edit on 22-5-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

Are the little pieces laying around just outside the cages living things too? Or maybe dust. And what do the guards feed these cells in the cages, or are they starving them? Cruel and rather unusual punishment.

not sure what the stuff outside the cages are but from what I understand even dust is made up of all sorts of biological matter like dried skin and insect endo skeletons

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I wonder if they will be able to use these little cages to isolate cells that can get damaged in the body in autoimmune conditions? For example, in the autoimmune disease of type 1 diabetes, the insulin-producing cells are attacked by the immune system. If this isolates the cells from attack, and still allows cellular communication, I could see this being a cure for diabetes or other autoimmune issues. Hopefully they think to look in this direciton, and hopefully they are successful if they do...S+F

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiM3LoRd

not sure what the stuff outside the cages are but from what I understand even dust is made up of all sorts of biological matter like dried skin and insect endo skeletons

This is neat.

The flux of a pyramidion is fairly simply to calculate given the known nature of its chemical make-up and could allow for some interesting tests on the effect of electro-potential from various cell processes taking place in various substrates (dust, etc).

Not sure if anything ground breaking will come from this though . . .

-FBB

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Free the Prisoners !
great post.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: FriedBabelBroccoli

originally posted by: TiM3LoRd

This is neat.

The flux of a pyramidion is fairly simply to calculate given the known nature of its chemical make-up and could allow for some interesting tests on the effect of electro-potential from various cell processes taking place in various substrates (dust, etc).

Not sure if anything ground breaking will come from this though . . .

-FBB

This is interesting. what more can you tell me about this pyramidion flux.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join