It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entry level jobs...What!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Wake up you fools!

In several threads I've seen people using the term "Entry level jobs".

This should not even be a part of our language!

Where is it coming from?

Do you think us workers would use such language?

Of course we wouldn't. This crap is being inserted into our conversations and we accept it without even realizing its happening.

The whole idea of classifying certain jobs as "Entry level" is a scam!
If a person works an hour they deserve an hours pay, not a pittance because some ahole invented the idea of "Entry level" so as to provide an excuse to pay the employee as little as possible!

From now on I refuse to discuss employment issues with ANYONE who pumps out this insidious crap!

Rant on.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

I agree, I see many adults working in the so called entry level positions and they are just trying to make a living.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Sorry you feel like that but to me Entry level jobs (No offence to anyone) but McDonalds, my sons first job was at MC D's

he had no skills as a 16 year old, but they hired him, he has been working there for two years and has been saving his money for college.

The good thing for him is he is now able to show a dam good work History, during the summer months he will put in 40 hours and yes he has received raises for the different jobs he performs.

My first entry level job into the work force was Delivering News papers, then from there I was dropping off the papers to those that delivered them.

So what I guess I am trying to say is Entry level Jobs to me are those jobs that you apply for that you have no skill in but are willing to learn the skills to perform the job.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
If an employer has work to be done, it is NOT entry level, it is work to be done, and therefore they should pay a proper wage for that work.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Entry-level, as in "this is where you enter the workforce when you have zero skills or job experience. These are the jobs you are qualified for."

Would you like to eliminate terms like "Senior-level position", or maybe "Administrative job" as well? These are descriptive terms appropriate to the level of experience required or the nature of the position. "Entry-level" jobs are those that require little to no experience, that pay the least among all the job categories.

I assume you're all fired up about the McDonalds not paying their burger flippers $15 an hour thread?

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
If an employer has work to be done, it is NOT entry level, it is work to be done, and therefore they should pay a proper wage for that work.

Exactly, and if the job requires no more than functioning hands and the attention span of a 5 year old, then it will pay accordingly because ANYONE can do it.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Its not about whether "anyone can do it"
If an employer has work that they want done then they should pay a proper wage! If they cant afford to do that then they have a failed business!

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Employers have work to be done that requires less specialized skills and little to no experience. The demand for employees to fill those jobs is low and the supply is high. This flooded market results in LOW cost, hence lower pay-rate.

If you take the term "entry level" out, the jobs still exist with the economics to back up the pay-rate.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I see...
So, a hospital that needs a brain surgeon should be in the same class as a burger flipper?

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

God forbid you ever have to have heart surgery. Perhaps the hospital would hire someone for work that needs to be done and pay the proper wage to the individual who performs the work. The problem with that is the individual that was hired to do the work was happy to get the job, happy the job is paying him a "proper wage" and excited to show up for his first day on the job.

That day just happens to be your day for surgery and lo and behold you get the operating room that the individual hired for work is in....scalpel in hand....Do I really need to go any further ?

Don't be daffy here...you don't start at the top nor do you start in the middle, you start in an entry level position to learn more about the business and your particular duties. Of course it should pay a proper wage. What is proper to you for work ? Well it may not be proper to the man writing the check to pay someone the same amount for work as someone with 10 years at the company.

The bottom line is you DO NOT have to taker any job not if it has the "entry level" tag in front of it nor if it has an empty title or just plain says work. If it doesn't pay enough for you then move on as there are plenty of individual willing to WORK and EARN a wage as opposed to showing up and being given something.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
God forbid those poor souls have to work their way up from the bottom like most of us...

People that have no skills don't deserve a handout just because they broke a sweat for some pocket change.

The world will never be fair. Society doesn't give a damn about you if you don't bring anything of value to the collective table. You are being brainwashed by our leaders to believe that the world should be fair. The world will never be fair. Society doesn't give a damn about you if you don't bring anything of value to the collective table. They want you to believe you are entitled to more just because you exist to milk more from the job creators. They don't really care about making things fair. They are pushing this ideology to fill their own pockets even more.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Um....no. A person who starts a job does not have the ability to produce instantly. Every company does things a little different and they have to acclimate to the other workers in the place. This actually disrupts production for a while. It also takes an experienced worker to train the person in, the experienced worker actually gets less production while training. I have been a boss and employer for many years. I have seen how things work. A fresh employee should be started at a lower break in rate....

If a person thinks he can produce as good as a person well trained in the jobs instantly, I won't hire that person. They are not only trying to deceive me, they may be deceiving themselves. I worked many jobs, and although I was a very fast learner, I still cost every employer money initially. I usually tried to work as hard and efficiently as I could to make up for it. This way when I learned the job, I could move on knowing I had paid my debt for the knowledge.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: lemmin

Employers have work to be done that requires less specialized skills and little to no experience. The demand for employees to fill those jobs is low and the supply is high. This flooded market results in LOW cost...

THANKS TO ALL THE IMMIGRANTS..

they serve NO purpose EXCEPT this one!!

throughout HISTORY, same old song. and the NUMBER ONE REASON there are low paying jobs.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
There seems to be people that are to ignorant to understand that.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Its not about whether "anyone can do it"
If an employer has work that they want done then they should pay a proper wage! If they cant afford to do that then they have a failed business!

Actually, they have a prospective employee they shouldn't even hire. "Entry level" means "no skills to speak of." That's why for every increase in the minimum wage, there is greater unemployment in the "entry levels." If I am required to pay a higher wage, then I'd rather hire someone with experience to do it so that that employee is immediately productive instead of a drag on the bottom line.

It's not my role to teach anyone how to do a job. And if you force me to pay higher wages for people who know zilch about how to even show up for work on time, then I simply won't do it. And that means you, sir, will be out of a job.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
And if you keep demanding that people get a living wage just being warm bodies who show up ... pretty soon, the employers will discover how to automate those jobs, too, and no one will have work.

Yu can check in your own orders on automated kiosks now. The Quick Trip down the road from me has automated order check ins for its new kitchen.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Why cap the minimum wage at 10.10 for federal workers and try to raise it to 10.10 for everyone else?

I see so many arguments that claim that raising the minimum wage will help the economy.

Okay.

Lets raise the minimum wage to 60,000 a year.

No "entry level" title anymore.

We'll all be equal, except for those of us who make more.

Wait, what?

Why should there be those of us who make more?

They should lower our wages and make us all equal. . . wait, what?

All jobs aren't equal?

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Hi.

I did an apprenticeship where the first year I earned $5.26 an hour at age 19

I didn't even earn $200 a week.

I now do considerably better, I did the hard slog earning LESS than these entry level jobs you speak of and now have a trade with the skills and ability to make sure I never go back to earning 5 bucks and hour!

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I don't think you quite understand what a level entry job is...

en·try-lev·el
adjective
at the lowest level in an employment hierarchy.
"he was hired as an entry-level research assistant"

It simply means you were hired in the most basic of positions for what you qualify for.

It doesn't effect wages or anything of the sort. You don't hire somebody as an 'entry level employee' then hire somebody else the next day and give him more money for the same work.

There's no 'wages' scam being perpetrated by using this language.

Entry level engineering, architecture, computing etc.

Nobody gives anybody a CEO job first day out of university.

I'm confused about the outrage..

Also that language has been around for at least 30 years.

~Tenth
edit on 5/21/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/21/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Yep. Here in California it's virtually impossible to live without increasing debt for many, many people. It's largely due to the low wages, high living costs (which includes the "necessities" to be competitive, aka cell phone+plan, internet, and expensive ass gas).

Basically, anything under $15 /hr or $30,000.00 makes it close to impossible, even if you're simply eating, gassing, and occasionally beering!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join