It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self-healing plastic mimics blood clotting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
It seems like that cracked screen on your phone or tablet may be able to repair itself in the future.

The polymer automatically patches holes 3cm wide, 100 times bigger than before.

Inspired by the human blood clotting system, it contains a network of capillaries that deliver healing chemicals to damaged areas.

The new material, created by engineers at the University of Illinois, is described in Science journal.

For decades scientists have dreamed of plastics that heal themselves like human skin.

Electronic chips can do this too.

This tech has also been applied to other things as well.

More recently, concrete, water-resistant coatings, and even electrical circuits have been engineered with self-healing properties.

This could greatly lessen the need for completely replacing parts and tech saving money, reducing waste, and repairs in the future.

"Here again, elegant examples that have evolved in nature can inspire solutions."

I just thought this was cool and is an advancement on prior experiments with "self-healing" polymers, and thought I would just share.

www.bbc.com...
edit on 5/10/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Chamberf=6

this will be an added bonus in automobile paint technology as well.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: zooplancton

I hadn't even thought of that.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
All they have to do is give this to a robot with A.I and we are totally screwed, an unstoppable terminator that can heal itself and thinks that humans are a virus that needs to be wiped out! The future does not bode well for us

edit on 10-5-2014 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

join