It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Some E-Cigs Put Out Tobacco-Like Levels of Carcinogens

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

An upcoming study in the peer-reviewed journal Nicotine and Tobacco Research says that some tank-style e-cigarettes emit cancer-causing formaldehyde in their vapor at levels similar to traditional tobacco cigarettes. The New York Times, which revealed the findings ahead of publication, says a second study confirms the results.

The problem seems to be that some tank-style e-cigarettes (the larger, refillable style that vaporize liquid nicotine) get so hot, they cause formaldehyde to form in the vapor they put out.

Study: Some E-Cigs Put Out Tobacco-Like Levels of Carcinogens

Hey guys, I'm a vapor with a big fatty that can go up to 6v... I wanted to post this as a heads up to my vaping brothers and sisters.
This isn't to bash vaping quite obvioisly, but we need to be informed to make informed decisions. It's great that there are people doing the science to get the info to us...

Now also I think that it is awesome that they only found 1 carcinogen, from what I can tell, so not quite sure why the paper uses a plural... Anyhow yeah if you crank your vaporizer up then you run the risk of inhaling formaldehyde. Also I pose the theory that different cartomiser designs relating to the "wick" could have similar effects... For instance... Some have very long wicks which suck thr juice up and then down into the atomizer... Whereas the one I use has a tiny wick right at the bottom so it is always submerged in juice... You see they state "dripping" is bad and it must be because the atomizer drieds out and burns the juice.

So keeping the wick and atomizer soaked should be the better way... I guess we need to do testing on that front... Great oportunity for someone to do that scientific research and create the first "scientifically proven carcinogen free ecig"
What a great selling point and upper hand they would have...

Also I think it is worth noting that even if you dripped and cranked up to 6v, it would STILL be better than cigs... As it is 1 carcinogen vs DOZENS!

No vaper says ecigs are perfect, only that they are BETTER. This study proves to me that it is WAY better! As we all knew. I vape at around 3.2 anyway and get plenty of vape, I can make a vid showing you all.
But hey if you wanna go crazy you can do knowing all the facts...

Now sorry if I don't contribute much more to this thread tonight, I just spent 2 days in hospital due to passing a kidney stone! Dang that hurt! Don't try that at home lol... Anyway I need rest but I will read and comment tomorrow if need be.

Just wanted you all to know anyway. Take care out there and happy, SAFER vaping.

edit on 9-5-2014 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I wish more people understood ecigs better. Its not the "tank-style e-cigarettes" that are to blame, its the juice.

I have a bunch of tanks and a couple of mods that i use to power them. I have used many e-cig liquids, which i call juice. No 2 are alike and if you get your juice from a shady budget juice vendor you are risking getting something less than desirable.

So yes there may be some vendors with crap in their juice, but most are going to be clean. It seems the media is on a mad dash to find the worst possible juice in an attempt to demonize anything and everything e-cig related.

Just like with ANYTHING, you get what you pay for. If you do a small amount of research and purchase your juice from a reputable vendor, you have nothing to worry about.

DC

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The attack on vaping really is hitting high gear, isnt it?

Expect to continue to see a steady stream of studies saying e-cigs "may" be bad coming in the future....

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: xDeadcowx
I wish more people understood ecigs better. Its not the "tank-style e-cigarettes" that are to blame, its the juice.

I have a bunch of tanks and a couple of mods that i use to power them. I have used many e-cig liquids, which i call juice. No 2 are alike and if you get your juice from a shady budget juice vendor you are risking getting something less than desirable.

So yes there may be some vendors with crap in their juice, but most are going to be clean. It seems the media is on a mad dash to find the worst possible juice in an attempt to demonize anything and everything e-cig related.

Just like with ANYTHING, you get what you pay for. If you do a small amount of research and purchase your juice from a reputable vendor, you have nothing to worry about.

DC

Hmmm it is possible, but have yoi studied it scientifically? Have you tried all the juices and looked for the presence of formaldahyde or other carcinogens? Also... If it is the juice, why do they find more formaldahyde when they crank up the heat? And even more when they drip...

I tnink the article makes perfect sense and it isn't demonising ecigs... He said over normal cigs he would take the e-cig... It confirms what we have been saying... It does to me at least... Now I must stop replying lmao... I will shut up and let you huys thrash it out. But I don't see the study in a negative light at all.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Expect to continue to see a steady stream of studies saying e-cigs "may" be bad coming in the future.... - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

But if it is bad, isn't it good to know?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The formation of chemicals is based on two factors: The juice used and the temp at which it is burned.

Unless you go out of your way to buy some cheap, nasty juice and burn it at a high temp, Im guessing youll be fine.

Anything, when burned at a high enough temp, will cause chemical reactions.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Meee32

Oh come on guys, think about it, it makes sense! Don't be so defensive lol... It's all good! Study says ecig is mich better than cigs... Yet you think they are bashing e-cigs?

Sigh... Okay really, must... shut... up... and... rest... lol

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye

Expect to continue to see a steady stream of studies saying e-cigs "may" be bad coming in the future.... - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

But if it is bad, isn't it good to know?

If any of them actually proved anything, sure.

All these studies say is "might be harmful" and "some types of ecigs". There is nothing definitive. And considering the push to get ecigs regulated (afterall, the tobacco co's need in), its pretty bvious why all of these not-conclusive studies are being circulated.

Show me some actual proof, and Id love to see it.

These studies of late are nothing more than propaganda.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I'll stick to smoking cigarettes, the E-cigarettes are way to strong. I tried the patch, that was way too strong. If I wanted to quit I would just quit, I only smoke to increase my ability to think. I smoke about fifteen cigarettes a day, and I only smoke about half the cigarette.

I should really think about investing in a pipe, it would save money.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I suppose we better consider outlawing new buildings, furniture, carpets, cars, etc.

In new buildings or buildings which have been recently refurbished, formaldehyde levels from furniture and furnishings may be high enough to cause signs of irritation. Good ventilation will ensure that formaldehyde fumes remain at a level at which no symptoms occur. In some buildings or vehicles which have large amounts of particle board and other formaldehyde-containing material, such as mobile homes and motor homes, levels may remain high for a long time, so good ventilation is essential (4).

extoxnet.orst.edu...

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
The formation of chemicals is based on two factors: The juice used and the temp at which it is burned.

Unless you go out of your way to buy some cheap, nasty juice and burn it at a high temp, Im guessing youll be fine.

Yeah sure maybe, I think we need a study on that too, it is great info for us to have... I'll enjoy my ecig even more knowing that I've cut down from dozens of carcinogens to just one! And if I vape as I do it will be at very low levels if at all. Happy days.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

Studies take time and money, those who pay demands results, therefore you will get it in small doses as they figure out where to look and what to look for.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I'll stick to smoking cigarettes, the E-cigarettes are way to strong. I tried the patch, that was way too strong. If I wanted to quit I would just quit, I only smoke to increase my ability to think. I smoke about fifteen cigarettes a day, and I only smoke about half the cigarette.

I should really think about investing in a pipe, it would save money.

But you can turn them down (if you get variable voltage) a cheap evo is a good beginner one and have it on the lowest setting with the weakest juice... But hey I mean if patches work for you then it's all good. But don't discount ecigs, personally I LOVE mine... I like moxed fruit... yum yum..

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I KNEW some of you guys would read only the headline and not my post thinking it is a vaping bash thread lmao. Quick change your comments so you don't look quite so silly... lol :p

link   

Seems to me they wouldn't work as well without the Beta-carbolines that are present in tobacco.

link   

originally posted by: Mianeye

Studies take time and money, those who pay demands results, therefore you will get it in small doses as they figure out where to look and what to look for.

Perhaps. Or perhaps tobacco companies, already known to be pushing for ecig regulations, are pushing this 'information' out as much as possible.

Or maybe its just a coincidence that all of these non-conclusive studies are pushed into public view just as the push for regulation is ramping up. And maybe theres some oceanfront property available in arizona.

theyve done the same thing with marijuana. They see that the battle is lost, that it is being legalized, and low and behold, what follows? A surge of negative studies about it.

Come on, people arent this gullible, are they?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Meee32

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

Yeah sure maybe, I think we need a study on that too, it is great info for us to have... I'll enjoy my ecig even more knowing that I've cut down from dozens of carcinogens to just one! And if I vape as I do it will be at very low levels if at all. Happy days.
Who exactly are you referencing here? All I see are people discussing the article.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Meee32

Now also I think that it is awesome that they only found 1 carcinogen, from what I can tell, so not quite sure why the paper uses a plural...

As an ecig smoker, thanks for the information.
Still safer than cigarettes.

I looked up the amount of carcinogens in Cigarettes for you:

List of cigarette smoke carcinogens

en.wikipedia.org...

Chemical Amount (per cigarette)
Acetaldehyde 980 micrograms to 1.37 milligrams
Acrylonitrile formerly 1 to 2 milligrams. This product was used as a fumigant in tobacco. Its use has since been discontinued.
4-Aminobiphenyl 0.2 to 23 nanograms
o-Anisidine hydrochloride unknown
Arsenic unknown
Benzene 5.9 to 75 micrograms
Beryllium 0.5 nanograms
1,3-Butadiene 152 to 400 micrograms
Cadmium 1.7 micrograms
1,1-Dimethylhydrazine unknown
Ethylene oxide unknown
Formaldehyde unknown
Furan unknown
Heterocyclic amines unknown
Hydrazine 32 micrograms
Isoprene 3.1 milligrams
Lead unknown
2-Naphthylamine 1.5 to 35 nanograms
Nitromethane unknown
N-Nitrosodi-n-butylamine 3 nanograms
N-Nitrosodiethanolamine 24 to 36 nanograms
N-Nitrosodiethylamine up to 8.3 nanograms
N-Nitrosodimethylamine 5.7 to 43 nanograms
N-Nitrosodi-n-propylamine 1 nanogram
4-(N-Nitrosomethylamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone up to 4.2 micrograms
N-Nitrosonornicotine 14 micrograms
N-Nitrosopiperidine unknown
N-Nitrosopyrrolidine 113 nanograms
N-Nitrososarcosine 22 to 460 nanograms
Polonium-210 variable, depending on soil and fertilizer used to grow tobacco[2]
Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons 28 to 100 milligrams
o-Toluidine 32 nanograms
Vinyl chloride 5.6 to 27 nanograms

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Seems to me they wouldn't work as well without the Beta-carbolines that are present in tobacco.

I'm not sure what a beta-carboline is? Can you elaborate please? But all I can tell you is I could and do sometimes swap and change between e-cigs and normal cigs as I see fit or whatever the situation is... For instance when I was rushed into hospital I forgot my e-cig.
But of course I'm an addict lol so I pinched (read asked politely for a ciggy) a few ciggys off people. Untill the mrs brought my e-cig up... When I have my e-cig I havr no need or thoughts for a normal ciggy whatsoever.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Perhaps, but that is speculation even though you might be right.

One thing is for sure, inhailing smoke is not healthy in any way and that goes for the "green plant" to and posible for the vapor.

Altering your mind with varius substances can be very unhealthy for some people, especially in the long run and i do not like that very young kids learn that it's ok.

A little oftopic, sorry

edit on 9-5-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join