It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

want to fight climate change? go vegan

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

originally posted by: Char-Lee
a reply to: captaintyinknots

No I am not really interested in this point. For every vegan athlete you can name, I can list 100 meat eating athletes.

Yes so...the point is made it does not make you a weakly to not eat meat. It does not give you lack of brain function as proved by the great scientists who have been vegetarian or vegan.

ummm....ok? I dont recall saying anything different.

Its funny, a handfull of vegans, claiming they are defending their stance, are the ones doing all the attacking here.

Honestly, vegans tend to be some of the most insecure people in the world.

I think many feel very motivated by things in this society especially. Things most will not even look at. The horrid treatment of living creatures with no choice but to be food and slaves for us.
Also the minority is always attacked and become defensive, it has always been so.

From an meat eater

I am not a vegetarian or a vegan. But like most people of conscience, I was sickened and horrified to see the recent video taken by animal rights activists of baby chicks being ground alive at an egg hatchery. Seeing such cruel and heartless treatment of living beings has undoubtedly caused some of us carnivores to at least take a moment to consider the dark truths behind how animals are processed for food in the modern world.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 10-5-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee
1) again, whats your point? I am very conscious of the meat I eat. I know how the animals are treated. I raise the chickens myself and buy beef only from a farmer I know. I also know, flat out, that I wouldnt be alive without meat.

2) Again, I dont see a single person in this thread telling vegans not to be vegan. I do see a bunch of vegans telling meat eaters not to eat meat,misrepresenting the truth, and calling those of us who HAVE to eat meat liars. So who is attacking?

3) I see you, like the others, still flat out avoid the topic of health issues that can come up from going vegan.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

1) again, whats your point?

My point was to try and answer the question you asked.

3) I see you, like the others, still flat out avoid the topic of health issues that can come up from going vegan.

I am Vegetarian and we do eat free range eggs.

No I am not avoiding it, I simply have read and read and not found anything about people dying from lack of eating flesh.

If you say you get ill as a couple others have said...I will take your word for that and I am sorry that you all have health issues.

The arguments though against those of us who are very healthy on a meatless diet that we can't be healthy, smart, or athletic are just wrong.

edit on 10-5-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Good reply Char-Lee. And dying from not eating corpses? hahahaha, satire at its finest. Other way around.

I haven't read the complete thread, but of course veganism would not only "save" the planet, but it's the natural food of humans (naysayers shoud try the two recipes in my sig for two weeks and see if you don't agree - have to give the body time to get used to the new food). If humans had never started in on corpses (who was the first idiot to try it twice??) then we'd have the oceans, the rainforests, the prairies, and much much more all in good shape and teeming with life. Meateating has killed the oceans! Forests have been cleared away to make room for crops to feed cows and pigs, for monkey's sake. What is wrong with the human race that they don't really get into this topic and put some major changes into effect, while there is still a percentage of the Amazon forest and the other great forests still standing and some fish still call the sea home (instead of setting up camp inside an ape's stomach).

edit on 10-5-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Meateating has killed the oceans! Forests have been cleared away to make room for crops to feed cows and pigs

Not so fast there bucko!.....My version is this....the Oceans are dieing because of pollution and over population has that effect on the pollution rates.

Forests have been cleared yes indeed to plant more crops to feed vegans, and to build houses for the vegans.

Vegans and meat lovers all do the same......we all contribute to the strain on Mother Earth but we are no different than anyone else.
We drive cars, own or rent homes, buy groceries, support the chemical industry, get sick and die, get sick and get well, use electricity, use fossil fuels, drive cars or take the bus or train, where you can point at diet alone for the supposedly demise of this planet defies explanation?

What I see here is desperation for a solution, and being a vegan will not solve all the perceived problems in your world.
Its not all negative on my end, heck I have a nephew who is a vegan and he looks like a dead piece of dog poop left out in the sun.
But that is another story and maybe a thread.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
i love vegetarian food and meat. can't we all just get along

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockoperawriter

We are all getting along, if we were not there would be a Mod here slapping post bans down like no tomorrow. :-)
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockoperawriter

As long as you are not into vegetarians for meat I can get along!

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

What I see here is desperation for a solution, and being a vegan will not solve all the perceived problems in your world.

That is a very true statement. I have in mind that if men had not turned to eating and killing for pleasure or using the skin of animals, we would have avoided many problems though. Leaving the predators to balance the non predators including in that case more of us none would overpopulate.

We all want things..things...things! All bad for the planet, we all need to stop the I-Wants and go with this is all I need.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I have in mind that if men had not turned to eating and killing for pleasure or using the skin of animals, we would have avoided many problems though.

I see one major problem with your thinking and that is we would not be here at all if we (Humans) did not eat animals and take skins to wear in order to stay warm and healthy.

History is not that old and you can find pictures of Teepee's from the late 1800's sitting on the Plains made out of 100% Bison skin.

I don't believe men turned to killing for pleasure all that much but you can correct me where needed.
Men killed to eat and lets not forget that a Mans family (women and children) also enjoy a good meal.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I think man would have survived and thrived and evolved in a different direction, on more in line with the earth.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Possibly I can't say for sure but its food for thought.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I think you would be correct about us evolving differently. It is pretty much excepted that the main reason mans brain evolved to this degree is because of protein intake from meat. So it is is plausible that if we had not taken those steps in our diet we would be much like our ape cousins still. We certainly wouldn't be conversing on such advanced communication grids.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

I think you would be correct about us evolving differently. It is pretty much excepted that the main reason mans brain evolved to this degree is because of protein intake from meat. So it is is plausible that if we had not taken those steps in our diet we would be much like our ape cousins still. We certainly wouldn't be conversing on such advanced communication grids.

Agreed and at 100% if you are in doubt.
Iwinder

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I just got back to this thread. Please give your nephew a copy of my two recipes, one of rice and lentils, the other for a specialty oatmeal, or make them for him. He may be lacking in some things, maybe vitamin C (the mother and father of all the vitamins - although it's not a vitamin).

As to the forest and prairies, they are being chopped away from Mother Nature and given over into human nature (a much less-balanced caretaker). 90 percent of the corn and soy being grown is being grown to feed cows and pigs. Low-muscle toned cows and pigs, the poor devils. This keeps them alive and fattens them up. Imagine the acreage? The size of the land that's needed to grow all of that? And down in the Amazon, once the land is stripped of its rainforest - a perfectly balanced ecosystem (imagine that - no waste anywhere) - it dies fairly quickly, so the crops can only be grown on it for a certain amount of time (does anyone here know how much time? Thanks. ), and then more rainforest has to be chopped down for the same cows. Repeat and rinse.

One person going vegan means nothing to the destruction. Society would have to make changes, and the establishment leaders would have to agree to get those changes. Meat eating has efficiently destroyed entire land based ecosystems, and it's doing a damn fine job (literally) on the poor ecosystem of the ocean (it's all one ocean).

edit on 11-5-2014 by Aleister because: add two words

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I guess I just dont know who it is that you think is arguing that one cannot be healthy without meat. It certainly isnt me.

As I have said all along: it works for some. It doesnt for others.

I have no issue with vegans whatsoever, until they start to insult me and tell me I am wrong for eating meat. That's where the issue lies.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Done deal my Nephew gets your recipes and please keep in mind land is cleared not only to raise animals but to raise crops.

Your way or my way it don't matter one bit as the trees are coming down.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iwinder
Done deal my Nephew gets your recipes and please keep in mind land is cleared not only to raise animals but to raise crops.

Your way or my way it don't matter one bit as the trees are coming down.
Regards, Iwinder

A star for the nephew thing. If he makes them, and actually makes them right, he may like them. And the land clearing for crops is what I mean, 90 percent of the crops are used for animal feed, so 90 percent of the land is used for their feed. That's why the trees stand a fighting chance if humanity went vegan, when pigs fly.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

90 percent of the crops are used for animal feed, so 90 percent of the land is used for their feed.

I hate to do this but in this case I will ..........got a link for that statement above?

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

When I was active in the vegetarian movement 90 percent of corn and soy production went to animal feed, at least that was the number listed from studies. That was awhile ago. Here's a Cornell University report which covers some of that, but not as high as 90 percent:

news.cornell.edu...

"If all the grain currently fed to livestock in the United States were consumed directly by people, the number of people who could be fed would be nearly 800 million," David Pimentel, professor of ecology in Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, reported at the July 24-26 meeting of the Canadian Society of Animal Science in Montreal. Or, if those grains were exported, it would boost the U.S. trade balance by $80 billion a year, Pimentel estimated.

With only grass-fed livestock, individual Americans would still get more than the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of meat and dairy protein, according to Pimentel's report, "Livestock Production: Energy Inputs and the Environment."

An environmental analyst and longtime critic of waste and inefficiency in agricultural practices, Pimentel depicted grain-fed livestock farming as a costly and nonsustainable way to produce animal protein. He distinguished grain-fed meat production from pasture-raised livestock, calling cattle-grazing a more reasonable use of marginal land.

edit on 11-5-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join