It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David and Jason Benham Respond to HGTV After Anti-Gay Controversy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: tothetenthpower

There is a clear difference to me and many others between discriminating against race which a person is born with and someones behavior and life choices.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Lets get one thing straight here:

Your CHOICE in religion is just that, a CHOICE. Someone's sexuality, i.e., who they are, is not.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Be careful where this goes because it won't stay confined to issues concerning gays. Once society gets used to the notion of shutting people out for dissenting over things like this it will move on to other issues. Once we get confortable with the idea that it's perfectly normal to destroy a person over any notion we don't like or has been decided is unacceptable as a society, it will move on to those things, too.

Don't like what your government does? Tough. You just lost your job.

Don't like how this or that policy was made? Tough. You just lost your property.

Society has decided that you are to be a certain way and you don't like it? Tough. You are now forced to conform or be forcibly removed.

This is how Nazi Germany got it's start. We better wake up and stop this before we go much further and it starts biting all of us in the butt.
Destroy a person. Wow. Nice hyperbole.

Firing someone from a job is hardly 'destroying' them. Such nonsense.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

Be careful where this goes because it won't stay confined to issues concerning gays. Once society gets used to the notion of shutting people out for dissenting over things like this it will move on to other issues. Once we get confortable with the idea that it's perfectly normal to destroy a person over any notion we don't like or has been decided is unacceptable as a society, it will move on to those things, too.

Don't like what your government does? Tough. You just lost your job.

Don't like how this or that policy was made? Tough. You just lost your property.

Society has decided that you are to be a certain way and you don't like it? Tough. You are now forced to conform or be forcibly removed.

This is how Nazi Germany got it's start. We better wake up and stop this before we go much further and it starts biting all of us in the butt.
Destroy a person. Wow. Nice hyperbole.

Firing someone from a job is hardly 'destroying' them. Such nonsense.

Really?

So being labeled to the world as a bigot or a racist or a homophobe is going to have absolutely no impact on your future?

Uh-huh ... Riiiight. You've already gone through one messy public destruction. How many employers are going to risk another? If you are famous, you may land on your feet, but if you're the average unknown person who relies on good references and stuff. Maintaining a good reputation is about all you have.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So being labeled to the world as a bigot or a racist or a homophobe is going to have absolutely no impact on your future?
Certainly wont "destroy" them, as you claimed. There will be plenty of "christians" out there who will gladly hire them.

As far as being labelled, well, all I can say is when the shoe fits...

Uh-huh ... Riiiight. You've already gone through one messy public destruction. How many employers are going to risk another? If you are famous, you may land on your feet, but if you're the average unknown person who relies on good references and stuff. Maintaining a good reputation is about all you have.
Nice two step there. So now it isnt going to 'destroy' the brothers, but maybe someone else out there that is not famous....come on now.

The truth of the matter is, in the work place, there are repercussions for your actions. No employer will ever risk their reputation over a single employee. To think they should is idiotic.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

but if you're the average unknown person who relies on good references and stuff. Maintaining a good reputation is about all you have.

Then my suggestion would be to keep your racist, homophobic, antisemitic, misogynist, etc. mouth shut and/or take personal responsibility for your speech and actions.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: Metallicus

he same can be said about homosexuality. If you make remarks that are deemed hateful and bigoted to some, than you are going to need to own those comments.

If less people relied on social media to get their idiotic comments out, as opposed to thinking long and hard before opening their mouths, this would not have happened.

Sure it may be PC, but it's the reality of the situation. Know your audience, because the next speech you give, could be your last.

~Tenth

Concerning the brothers in question, could you specifically point out something one of them said that you consider "hateful and bigoted"?

Also, can you provide us with an example of someone who's been thrown out of the media or a position of power because they publicly support gay marriage? I'm not aware of any, but I'm open to the possibility that I might just be biased in my observations.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

In my honest opinion, Christianity will start to feel the same social exclusion that has been endured by both the LGBT and other ethnic minorities. In my opinion, within the next couple of decades religious people and more so Christians will become socially unacceptable for the views they have now.

Whilst I do not want this to happen, it is inevitable. Not enough young people joining the faith.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
While I personally view what these brothers said as narrow-minded, bigoted and judgmental, I wish HGTV had handled it differently. I thought the same thing with the Duck Dynasty issue. What both networks should have done was fight back HARD with their own rhetoric. Launch a massive public service announcement campaign, denouncing homophobia. I'm talking saturating the airwaves with spot after spot after spot, talking about how wrong they feel it is to judge another based on who they love. Keep your judgmental employees, but make 'em look really, really bad. You don't have to mention anyone by name, but your audience will probably know who you are talking about. The network has the right to their free speech as well.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Concerning the brothers in question, could you specifically point out something one of them said that you consider "hateful and bigoted"?

I don't personally see any issue with it. Like I said, I disagree with HGTV, but it's a matter of perspective based on what camp you sit in I suppose.

As for your 2nd question, I can't think of one, outside of the catholic schools and what not that we've heard about.

I think the recent article regarding Fox's anchorShepard Smith could perhaps be used, but it's not the same kind of scenario IMO.

Not even sure if that story is real or not honestly at this point.

~Tenth

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Also, can you provide us with an example of someone who's been thrown out of the media or a position of power because they publicly support gay marriage? I'm not aware of any, but I'm open to the possibility that I might just be biased in my observations.
Generally speaking, people dont get fired for NOT discriminating. Hell, generally speaking, people dont get fired for being a racist, bigot, or homophobe.

What they do get fired for is making those feelings known in a way that could damage the employer.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots
Typical liberal response, I ask for specific statements made by either of the brothers and you give me a link to a wiki dedicated to their dad's organization. LOL

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
a reply to: captaintyinknots
Typical liberal response, I ask for specific statements made by either of the brothers and you give me a link to a wiki dedicated to their dad's organization. LOL

liberal? EEEEEHHHHHH. Care to try again? Im not a liberal, at all.

"Their dads organization"? Hmmm, not entirely telling the truth there, are ya...David Benham is the spokesperson for them. You knew that, though, didnt you?

But since you, like other "fundies" tend to simply disregard anything that doesnt fit into your narrative, how about this:

In 2012, they led a protest a protest at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, through an initiative called Charlotte 7:14, in which they opposed the “homosexual agenda,” abortion and “demonic ideologies.”

www.washingtonpost.com... estyle_pop
maybe this?

At the 2012 Democratic National Convention, Benham led a prayer rally against “homosexuality and its agenda that is attacking the nation.” In blog posts, he has said that gay marriage "erodes the moral fabric of our society" and has likened the growing acceptance of same-sex marriage to appeasement of the Nazis.

www.latimes.com...
or this:

A YouTube video uncovered by Right Wing Watch depicts David Benham protesting outside an abortion clinic, which he compares to "the gates of hell."

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=17903052]Bone75

It's not even just their statements - it's their actions as well that are hateful. They have an agenda, and that agenda is to stop homosexuality and make sure that gay marriage is not allowed in this country. For gays who want nothing more than to live their lives in peace and to marry the consenting adult of their choice, this is pretty hateful.

Right Wing Watch said David Benham led a prayer rally in 2012 to "stop homosexuality and its agenda that is attacking the nation." The group said Benham publicly supported passage of a North Carolina constitutional amendment that defined marriage as between a man and a woman.

www.stltoday.com...

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
They simply espoused the position of their faith that the act of homosexuality is wrong and is a sin.

They've said a lot more than that. Source 1

It is disturbing that you can no longer express your opposition to anything that is protected by liberal PC police.

You most certainly can. You can express your opinion all day long. There may be repercussions, however.

My problem is that people have a right to speak honestly about their faith and belief that something is WRONG or a SIN without being harassed, cancelled, etc.

People do NOT have the right to speak without repercussion. I don't know where you get this idea. If you say something publicly that people don't like, they're going to boycott, complain, protest or even fire you.

I am fearful for the future of free speech in America and around the world.

This has NOTHING to do with free speech. The brothers are free to speak about their distaste for homosexuals.

I actually don't agree with firing people because of their beliefs, but it's not up to me, it's up to HGTV. They are well within their rights.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

liberal? EEEEEHHHHHH. Care to try again? Im not a liberal, at all.

"Their dads organization"? Hmmm, not entirely telling the truth there, are ya...David Benham is the spokesperson for them. You knew that, though, didnt you?

No I didn't know that (which is why I'm asking questions), but since he happens to be the SPOKESPERSON for the organization, then surely you can provide some of his statements rather than a link to a wiki and some 3 or 4 word snippets.

But since you, like other "fundies"

How is the term "fundie" any less derogatory than "homo"?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

No I didn't know that (which is why I'm asking questions), but since he happens to be the SPOKESPERSON for the organization, then surely you can provide some of his statements rather than a link to a wiki and some 3 or 4 word snippets.
I linked you to three articles about it already. Beyond that, you can do your own research.

How is the term "fundie" any less derogatory than "homo"?
Alone, neither are derogatory. Its about context (and frankly, i couldnt care less about words, I care about sentiment and actions). You notice that no one is trying to keep you from having equal rights for being a fundy, dont you?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Hiding behind the blatantly abused mantle of free speech is pure cowardly behaviour.

Gay people have had to fight long and hard just to be legally accepted. We still do not have the same rights as even a heterosexual murderer. They can marry, but we cannot for instance.

It was not that long ago that Hitler was rounding up the gay population of Europe and herding them into his concentration camps. Gay people are still put to death is some barbaric nations to this very day.

No matter what any religion teaches, we are human beings and we deserve the same rights as anyone else while we live out our mortal lives here on this earth.

edit on 9-5-2014 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I linked you to three articles about it already. Beyond that, you can do your own research.

You linked to 3 articles that provide snippets of quotes with no context. I'd like one of you to reference a complete statement that you find offensive so that we can discuss what exactly it is you find offensive, and if you have good reason to be offended or you're jut being bigoted towards Christians in general.

Alone, neither are derogatory. Its about context (and frankly, i couldnt care less about words, I care about sentiment and actions).

Well put back in context, I'd say you did use it in a derogatory manner.

You notice that no one is trying to keep you from having equal rights for being a fundy, dont you?

Well let's see... so far I can't have my own show about flipping houses on HGTV if I'm a "fundy".

I can't be the CEO of a corporation if I'm a fundy.

I can't own a reception hall if I'm a fundy.

I can't own a bakery if I'm a fundy.

I can't be a photographer if I'm a fundy.

I can't be a teacher if I'm a fundy.

I can't be a doctor if I'm a fundy...

and the list just keeps getting longer.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

You linked to 3 articles that provide snippets of quotes with no context. I'd like one of you to reference a complete statement that you find offensive so that we can discuss what exactly it is you find offensive, and if you have good reason to be offended or you're jut being bigoted towards Christians in general.
Again, I provided you 3 articles that are a good place to start on the subject, as well as a link to the wiki page of that vile group. Its all there. If you want more, do a little research.

Well put back in context, I'd say you did use it in a derogatory manner.
So fire me.

Well let's see... so far I can't have my own show about flipping houses on HGTV if I'm a "fundy".
Thats a lie.

I can't be the CEO of a corporation if I'm a fundy.
Thats a lie.

I can't own a reception hall if I'm a fundy.
Thats a lie.

I can't own a bakery if I'm a fundy.
Thats a lie.

I can't be a photographer if I'm a fundy.
Thats a lie.

I can't be a teacher if I'm a fundy.
Thats a lie.

I can't be a doctor if I'm a fundy...

You arent very good at playing the martyr, considering not one of those things you just listed is true. You are QUITE good, however, at posting blatant lies.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
The entire situation is freedom in action.

They were free to run their yaps and worship their blood god.

The channel was free to decide that they weren't going to pursue the TV show with the brothers as the channel doesn't share said opinion/belief.

What's the rub?

Derek

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join