It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Hemp, The Sustainable Wonder Crop, Is Sweeping The Nation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: V22tech

You really should do some research on the subject before you come off as sounding like a "burnout".

Tell you what go buy a t-shirt made of hemp and smoke it then tell us how freaked out you don't get.

What a dope.

+5 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: V22tech
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Maybe if any of you actually did this research you people keep going on about instead of just parroting talking points made by pro dope liberals, you'd know weed and hemp are the same plant different amounts of THC. THe plant is called canabis sativa both hemp and weed ARE CALLED CANABIS SATIVA, get it?

The difference is that industrial hemp strains are cultivated to have a THC content as low as 0.05%. I'm sure you think those poppy seed buns are a just another ploy by heroin addicts.

BTW, "dope" commonly refers to heroin.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

You know it's not just a liberal stance right?
Red states like Arizona has accepted the benefits of this evil plant.

+4 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Surely you must realize that Cannabis Indica produces much better marijuana than the Sativa? That is not to say Sativa cannot be cultivated to be powerful marijuana, however, just that Indica typically has more potency. The reason Sativa is used in hemp production is because of its long and thick stalk whereas Indica is much shorter and yields far less of the hemp fiber producting plant biomatter.
edit on Cpm9Tuesday0420145031Tue, 06 May 2014 21:04:50 -05002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: cannot abide typos

+2 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Im no dopehead and you absolutely nothing about hemp. NOTHING. Neither did Geore Washington. Thats why he grew it for rope, clothes...you name it.

And mr. expert....you do not grow hemp to get high. You do not grow hemp to get high.

Im wearing a shirt right now made form hemp fiber. Youre suggesting it should be ingested...wow. The ignorance. Get out son. Read more. Study. Learn something and hemp usage in early America. Hemp FIBER. Not BLUNTS as you suggest.

Youre so off base with your knowledge about hemp youve lost the game, and Ive wasted my tyoing fingers....Ridiculous....

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
It goes back to the war on drugs start. Yea we used to grow our own hemp to supply our military- tents clothes ropes Ect. We got lazy and started importing from Southeast Asia. When we were meddling in that part of the world they cut off our supply. And the male plant had very very low concentrations of canabinoids. To the hundredth of a percent area. But a scene like Pineapple Express happened when military brass wanted to completely remove the canabinoids. All the genetic tinkering only made the plants produce more. So they pushed for the ban and developed nylon. Hemp would take a big bite out of the lumber textile and oil industries. So is anyone surprised those industries backed the banning of this wonder crop?
edit on 6-5-2014 by Sillyosaurus because: Bad word choices

+4 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

a reply to: lightedhype

Again ill try and make it clear to you burnouts, hemp and weed are the same plant, the only difference being the thc content. The only reason this plant is grown is to get high. Im sick of having this conversation with pro dopeheads.

Wow, and the catchphrase of this site is "Deny Ignorance"!

I think you'll find that Hemp is a very useful plant which has been used over the millennia, not because of its psychoactive properties (it has so little as to be useless in that regard) but because of its fibre and nutritional uses.

Look, here's a very simple explanation for you

Best comment: "Hemp is a gate way plant that will lead to blankets and coats."
edit on 6-5-2014 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The primary "evil" of industrial hemp is that it will kill the profits of the paper pulp, oil, and cotton industries. It is useless for getting high. Hemp seed is also a wonderful food source. It makes zero sense to keep it illegal.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
At this time hemp may not be the most economically viable resource for energy products, fuels, and such, but if by some remote chance we were thrown into a survival situation and had to rebuild civilization after a catastrophe that shut down industry I am thinking the hemp/cannabis plant just might be the most beneficial crop we could cultivate to supply our most basic needs.

From fuel, food, cordage, building materials, and more, IS THERE ANOTHER one singular plant that might prove more beneficial to us in such a situation? I doubt that will ever happen and hope it never does but in the back of my mind I believe it might be a good idea to keep some seeds handy when they become available, just in case.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

www.wikipedia...

Uses
Hemp grown for milk animal fodderHemp is used for many varieties of products including the manufacture of cordage of varying tensile strength, durable clothing and nutritional products. The bast fibers can be used in 100% hemp products, but are commonly blended with other organic fibers such as flax, cotton or silk, for apparel and furnishings, most commonly at a 55%/45% hemp/cotton blend. The inner two fibers of hemp are more woody and are more often used in non-woven items and other industrial applications, such as mulch, animal bedding and litter. The oil from the fruits ("seeds") oxidizes (commonly, though inaccurately, called "drying") to become solid on exposure to air, similar to linseed oil, and is sometimes used in the manufacture of oil-based paints, in creams as a moisturizing agent, for cooking, and in plastics. Hemp seeds have been used in bird seed mix as well.[2] A survey in 2003 showed that more than 95% of hemp seed sold in the EU was used in animal and bird feed.[3] Hemp seed is also used as a fishing bait.[4]

In modern times hemp is used for industrial purposes including paper, textiles, clothing, biodegradable plastics, construction (as with Hempcrete and insulation), body products, health food and bio-fuel.

Food
Hemp seedsHemp seeds can be eaten raw, ground into a meal, sprouted, made into hemp milk (akin to soy milk), prepared as tea,[5] and used in baking. The fresh leaves can also be consumed in salads. Products include cereals, frozen waffles, hemp milk ice cream, hemp tofu, and nut butters. A few companies produce value added hemp seed items that include the seed oils, whole hemp grain (which is sterilized by law in the United States, where they import it from China and Canada), dehulled hemp seed (the whole seed without the mineral rich outer shell), hemp flour, hemp cake (a by-product of pressing the seed for oil) and hemp protein powder.[6]

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Maybe if any of you actually did this research you people keep going on about instead of just parroting talking points made by pro dope liberals, you'd know weed and hemp are the same plant different amounts of THC. THe plant is called canabis sativa both hemp and weed ARE CALLED CANABIS SATIVA, get it?

Hemp and marijuana both come from the same species of plant—cannabis. However, hemp is generally harvested from a subspecies of the Cannabis genus, which, unlike marijuana, has virtually no psychoactive properties. Hemp varieties are grown for their seed, oil, and fiber, whereas marijuana is grown for medicinal, recreational, and spiritual purposes.

The Difference Between Marijuana And Hemp
There's your difference -- it's all in the psychoactive properties. Or rather, the lack thereof. Now cut the willful ignorance, it's unbecoming. Or are you going to sit here and complain all alcohol is the same too? (hint: some are NOT FOR DRINKING)

Back on topic, this is to be expected. If we're going to carry on as a growing society, we need to rethink where some of our products are coming from at their basic levels. Trees take a while to regrow, but hemp, no, that's a fast recoup on the crop. I'd rather we use hemp paper over wood pulp paper, it's much faster to go from one crop to another (quick turnaround!) And hemp seeds are just yummy. You think shelled sunflower seeds are good? You don't know what you're missing if you haven't had hemp seeds. Literally the most savory, filling and satisfying food I've ever tried < two big thumbs up >

And, to tout hemp a bit further, one of the best shampoos I've ever used is a hemp shampoo (Nature's Gate, try it, Vitamin Shoppe, Amazon, etc) That stuff is so fantastic that I don't have to use conditioner on my rat's nest, the hemp is a fantastic natural conditioner.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I've been a hemp activist for many, many years but the laws we now see are not designed to allow small farmers and business people to take advantage of the profits. The list of regulations, registrations, and limitations make it appealing only to corporate interests. And, of course, that's the way it is meant to be.
Hemp was one of a few cash crops that small farmers could produce without a lot of specialized equipment. Its tendency to grow in almost any sort of soil without chemical fertilizers made it appealing to small farmers. It was often used to replenish fields depleted by corn or tobacco crops, eliminating the need for chemical fertilizers. But corporate interests wanted farmers buying a lot of additives so this natural plant was initially taxed beyond reason for small farmers then outlawed completely.
My grandfather was a share cropper who grew hemp for cash. It took him almost 40 years to save enough money to buy his own farm but after raising 13 children as a sharecropper, he was finally able to buy his own place when he was 65 years old. And just a year or so after he purchased his own farm, Congress put a tax of $800 on all hemp growers, putting him and all other small farmers out of business. Just 3 years later, the government sent him seeds and asked him to join the "Hemp for Victory" movement.
I have a hemp t-shirt that was purchased almost 30 years ago and has been worn regularly in summer for all of those years. It originally had the Constitution of the US printed on the back. The printing disappeared many years ago but the shirt itself, now relegated to a work shirt, is still completely intact and far more comfortable than a cotton shirt. That shirt is just the oldest of many articles of clothing I own that are made from hemp. They may go out of style in some cases but they certainly don't wear out.
Why in the name of all that's good should hemp be regulated? It is no different than any of several plants that can be utilized for fiber, fuel or food. But hey, I'm just a radical---I don't believe in victim-less crimes!

ETA: Looks like somebody had a little too much of The War on Drugs or DARE Kool-Aid. Is that you Mr. Botticelli ??
edit on 6-5-2014 by diggindirt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

They come from the same seed, but they're different plants. Hemp is grown differently, and harvested at a different time to cannabis. If someone was growing the two plants together then cross-pollination would reduce the THC content as well.

Besides, it's absurd that a potential industry isn't allowed to thrive because of a fear that individuals may use the substance to get high.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Ah yes another pro doper parroting the leftist media talking points. Once again you fail to comprehend the point im trying to make and instead resort to insults.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: aorAki

What part of NO ONE WILL GROW IT FOR ITS TACILE USE did you not understand? I never said you could get high from hemp.

+3 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by V22tech
Im sick of having this conversation with pro dopeheads.

For some strange reason, I doubt that. Try having the conversation with some knowledgeable folks that don't have a particular bias. Of course if those people don't share yours I'm sure you may have a few labels to hang on them as well.

edit on 6-5-2014 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Again, you people fail to grasp the point im trying to make, I know hemp doesnt get you stoned, im not a goddamn moron, im saying no farmer now is going to grow it for tactile use when marijuana is far more lucrative. you people really have a hard time understanding that.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Listen up!!!

The bickering, insults and name-calling end NOW!!!!!

You are responsible for your own posts.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I pity you're unbridled ignorance, I really do. You are just so far off base its not even funny.

Your argument has been dismantled in so many ways in a number of separate replies. Why do insist on ignoring the facts here? What is your agenda? Even if hemp production were completely unregulated, how would that effect your life? Other than in a positive manner of course.

Oh, and if on not mistaken, you were the first member to hurl personal insults. Or do you need to punch that last hole in your victim card to get a free ice cream cone?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join