It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next-Generation Spacesuit Design Unveiled

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Here is the new design for the spacesuit:

NASA has revealed the winning design of its prototype Z-2 spacesuit following a public vote.

The Tron-like design will be used for the outer layer of the spacesuit and features special light-emitting panels that can be arranged in unique patterns to help identify specific astronauts.

Made from materials that have been specially designed for use in deep space, the suit offers a number of advantages over the existing Z-1 suits including a harder and more durable upper torso.

"The cover layer on flight suits used for spacewalks performs many other important functions like protecting the spacewalker from micrometeorite strikes, the extreme temperatures in space and the harmful effects of radiation," said NASA in a statement.

Designed with long-haul spaceflight in mind, the final version of the suit will be used in several of NASA's upcoming missions as well as by the astronauts who undertake the first manned mission to Mars in the not-too distant future.

Source: www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

I don't know about you ladies and gentlemen, but this new design reminds me of Humpty Dumpty.

That was my first impression. After looking at it, I wondered what does this new design have that the other one lacked?
Does it make movement better? I read that it basically protects the wearer more.
So this is what the first people going to Mars will be wearing....interesting.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

I guess this is what happens when you put nerds in charge of fashion decisions...

As long as it's functional and serves as an improvement on previous designs, I suppose it doesn't really matter how it looks, but from a purely aesthetic perspective, that thing is fugly.

It seems like there were only 3 choices. Personally, I like the "Biomimicry" suit better than the other two options:

Check out the other suit designs here
edit on 1-5-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

Thank you for the link.
I know, right?
They could have done so much better than this.
It's mentioned in the article that it is Tron inspired...I just don't see it.
But, yes, as long as it's better and more practical , I guess that's all that matters.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Looks like a tourist on vacation with shorts on lol

I like the HALO Suit

Z-1 looks like buzz light year should have gone with that one

edit on 1-5-2014 by majestic3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Somebody spent a little too much time with their Buzz Lightyear doll and videos, crikey. I can see the cave paintings now on some future discovered stone-aged society, after we visit in this apparatus. Well, hopefully its performance outshines its good looks!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Oh,gosh, now I see it too! Yes, Buzz Lightyear it is.

I assume when having to build/design something that is more durable and can withstand hits,there is not much room left for it to look cool as well.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
You all have to realize that there is a process that is always followed from suits to rockets to ships and cars.

First you get the science right, then you get the engineering right. After a while, you end up with multiple types of materials to use and then someone says, hey let's design something cool!

Look at desktops as a classic example. First they were all plastic boxes in beige. Then someone turned it on its side. Now we are starting to get some cool designs, just starting mind you. The process takes time.

P

edit on 1/5/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Should have went with something more like this:

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I really think they do this on purpose, to make it as ugly as possible, and to make everyone believe our technologie is 50 years old.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Bullocks.

BTW this is from 2008

Though NASA discontinued Webb's research in the early '70s, the BioSuit project, which was originally funded by the NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts, could finish what he started, Newman said.

edit on stAmerica/Chicago501000000k2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: MessageforAll

That one looks much better in my opinion.
And it's way more flexible.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Looks ****ing ridiculous end of. If I was someone who wanted to be a future astronaut this would out me off. Doesn't even look safe

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   

That's the point, NASA was working on these in the late 70's/ they "discontinued" the idea. Meaning it was successful and it went on to black projects or what ever.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Somebody spent a little too much time with their Buzz Lightyear doll and videos, crikey. I can see the cave paintings now on some future discovered stone-aged society, after we visit in this apparatus. Well, hopefully its performance outshines its good looks!

that's the first thing that I thought too

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I like Tony Stark's space suit better.

Augmented strength, repulsor-based travel, protection from radiation, all the essentials.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
www.nbcnews.com...

As the above link states, the prototype is not space functional, but the final suit will attempt to incorporate light up displays. NASA is just tinkering around with the idea of luminescent displays. The final suit may have to scrap the majority of the design all together to meet safety requirements.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

I like Tony Stark's space suit better.

Augmented strength, repulsor-based travel, protection from radiation, all the essentials.

Me too.

Why aren't we going more in that direction? Why not more robotic looking?
With ability to shoot laser, fly,etc.
I think they need to do some more tinkering on their new spacesuit.

a reply to: Boscov
Thank you for the link.
edit on 1/5/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I like "Design C". The high-backed neck makes the astronaut look like the love child of Commander Shepard and Urdnot Wrex.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

It's funny how everyone is trying to think about what these prototypes look similar to though.
And to think they chose one in the end which's design is similar to the Tron movie's...

A classic case of life imitating art.

edit on 1/5/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rainbowresidue
a reply to: Cuervo

It's funny how everyone is trying to think about what these prototypes look similar to though.
And to think they chose one in the end which's design is similar to the Tron movie's...

A classic case of life imitating art.

"To infinity and beyond!" - New NASA slogan.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Kind of Buzz Lightyear looking, but gray.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join