It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clippers Owner Banned for Life

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: raedar
a reply to: captaintyinknots

He made the statements in private! I don't care about this creep, but it does seem like Nanny State on steroids!

Peace

He knew he was being recorded. Let me repeat. HE KNEW HE WAS BEING RECORDED.

How is it the "nanny state" if he is not being charged with any crimes? This is a private league. Like any other company, they have a right to protect their image.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

Some just see this as a free speech issue.

Its not a free speech issue. it is a argument that the consequences of his free speech are a bit over the top.

How many sponsors have the clippers lost at this point?

Its a financial decision.

This should have happened long, long ago..but for some reason, this was the thing that finally lit the fuse for him...and when sponsors start dropping, that's when the decisions come in by the higher ups
edit on 29-4-2014 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: mindseye1609

lol 100+ hours is alot of batin... *insert chafing joke here*

but ya 100+ hours is alot more then a few remarks thats for sure. i suppose when it all comes to light we can dig through it then and see what the deal is but people have been acting like this and speaking like this for many many moons without repercussions like this, just seems new ya know?

like since when has someone in a position of wealth and power EVER had to be accountable for their remarks and actions?
He has a very long history of racist speak and activity. Going back decades.

The nba has moved to make owners more accountable. It wasnt long ago that they were untouchable. Not anymore. the players went on strike to assure that things like this would be dealt with moving forward.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

This has absolutely nothing to do with free speech, nor does does the punishment.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
CBS NBA Bans Sterling For Life

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced Tuesday Clippers owner Donald Sterling will be suspended for life and fined $2.5 million in wake of his alleged racist remarks.

Silver spoke to the press at 11 a.m. news conference from New York, stating he will “do everything in my power” to force sale of Clipper.

Banned for life over 'alleged' comments.
And the NBC Commissioner will try to 'force the sale' of the Clippers.

I cannot see any legal leg to stand on for this action. Also, if they're banning him, how do they expect to motivate him to pay the fine? Moreover, how will they be testing potential buyers of the team to guarantee that they love blacks?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

originally posted by: 200Plus

Lets not pretend those players (millionaires) are playing for love of the game.

The guy is an $^%# for saying what he did but he is paying the bills for his girl. He should be allowed to make her rules. He is renting her. Let's not pretend that's not true either.

A fine example of the disgusting part of this conversation that is not being talked about...the absolutely disgraceful attitude he shows toward women...

You think they are in love?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: phinubian

This has absolutely nothing to do with free speech, nor does does the punishment.

ehh?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
So ... hear that everyone .... you can't be honest about your feelings on sensitive matters in the privacy of your own home otherwise you can be forced to sell what you own and pay a 'fee'. The dude is an oinker for sure, but he has a right to say what he wants in private conversations.

Every person out there who owns a business should beware. This situation is giving people out there some nefarious ideas about getting their hands on your business. Wanna' bet we see more of this type of thing coming out .... private conversations or private correspondence suddenly coming out in public and lots of money exchanging hands because of it?

As for the thought that you can't have a closet anti-black bigot own an NBA team .... we'll then I'm sure that there shouldn't be any players on the teams who hate white people who own the team either, right? Maybe we should start checking their personal correspondence to see if they are bigots as well.

link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

originally posted by: FlyersFan
CBS NBA Bans Sterling For Life

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced Tuesday Clippers owner Donald Sterling will be suspended for life and fined $2.5 million in wake of his alleged racist remarks.

Silver spoke to the press at 11 a.m. news conference from New York, stating he will “do everything in my power” to force sale of Clipper.

Banned for life over 'alleged' comments.
And the NBC Commissioner will try to 'force the sale' of the Clippers.

I cannot see any legal leg to stand on for this action. Also, if they're banning him, how do they expect to motivate him to pay the fine? Moreover, how will they be testing potential buyers of the team to guarantee that they love blacks?
Its pretty easy, really.

1)If he doesnt pay the fine, the league will sue him, and win even more.
2)They'll sell to a black owner (Magic Johnson).

link   

HE KNEW HE WAS BEING RECORDED because his girlfriend said so? Ha!

link   

The guy is a racist jerk.

He is 80 years old.

I think the Free Market will get rid of him.

The Players could refuse to play. The Fans could stay home.

I think the League had to get rid of him.

It just looks like a sleazy game of gotcha.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Youre still omitting the absolute fact that this is about a PATTERN of behavior, not this single incident.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I see it as the absolutely disgusting attitude this woman had for herself. Who is the true disgrace here? The woman who sold herself or the man that bought her?

Neither was in their first relationship of this type.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

The guy is an $^%# for saying what he did but he is paying the bills for his girl. He should be allowed to make her rules. He is renting her. Let's not pretend that's not true either.

A fine example of the disgusting part of this conversation that is not being talked about...the absolutely disgraceful attitude he shows toward women...

Ummm, no. Like I said, I think Sterlings attitude and actions toward women are disgraceful.

How did you get "in love" from that?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I see it as the absolutely disgusting attitude this woman had for herself. Who is the true disgrace here? The woman who sold herself or the man that bought her?

Neither was in their first relationship of this type.

Both are disgusting. But its more than just the 'relationship'. Go have a read about this guy's history with women.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: raedar

HE KNEW HE WAS BEING RECORDED because his girlfriend said so? Ha!

Umm, no, because HE WAS RECORDING IT TOO. He records most of his conversations. Thats why there is still 100+ hours of recordings that he is fighting to keep from going public.

I take it you didnt bother to actually learn anything about this situation, did you?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
I think the Free Market will get rid of him.

That's ultimately what just happened.
They will also of course pressure a sale..the worth of the team has dropped dramatically due to all the sponsors jumping ship until this is sorted out...may end up cutting in significantly to his personal wealth.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Can they make him sell at a price Magic can afford though?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

Ummm, no. Like I said, I think Sterlings attitude and actions toward women are disgraceful.

How did you get "in love" from that?

It was a joke.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
It's just right. It's a private league with a well written constitution and bylaws and he should have known better. He has a history of being a scumbag and let me just say that it was his "mistress" recording him at least according to his wife!

So...yeah the league is within their legal rights and it's the right thing to do. There really is no place for this kind of racism in today's world. Whatever legal issues it brings up with recording and leaking and all of that crap...once it's in the public domain and he did admit to the NBA that it was his voice on the recordings. Well the NBA had no choice.

I approve of this decision.

editing to add.. "Go Blazers!" 1 more to go and it's on to the second round!
edit on 29-4-2014 by amazing because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join