It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20% of the us population doesn't believe in any of the religions.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Didn't know the numbers were quite this high. 19.6 % of all Americans don't believe in any of the organized religions. With that percent jumping to 33% of Americans under 30 falling into the same category. The rates have ballooned 15% points in the last 20 years.

I once read an article that charted religion like a language. He theorized that once 51% of a population converts to a different religion or refuses all religions. There's a cascading effect with the population of believers dropping by multiples every

He gave the US 50 more years till we reach the tipping point where 51% of the population will be atheist of agnostic.
edit on 29-4-2014 by ArtemisE

because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2014 by ArtemisE because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2014 by ArtemisE because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I think this is GREAT NEWS! More people waking up! Now only if all humans evolve past religion..

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diabolos
I think this is GREAT NEWS! More people waking up! Now only if all humans evolve past religion..

Oh yeah, So when do you expect the other 5,000,000,000 to become Atheists? Do you still feel like your on the winning side? There are more hindu's in the world than Atheists ffs.
edit on 29-4-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
what about when they get thrown into fauxholes?
where it is said there are no atheists
err...
or, does that saying refer to the fact that people who don't believe in god
are the ones who start wars for people who do?
(but who wouldn't themselves get caught in a hole because they are so un-stylish)
edit on Tueam4b20144America/Chicago27 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

What happened to the good virtue on ATS of posting quotes, sources, links, videos, pictures even, anything??

OT: If true, good for you.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
And the bad news is...

More importantly why does this surprise you? it's known that people are fed up with religion.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarknStormy
Do you still feel like your on the winning side?

... and therein lies the problem... do you really feel the need to be on a "side"?

I try not to take "sides", I try to understand my fellow human beings' viewpoint, and reach a synthesis of understanding with all ideas.

I enjoy diversity of thought and knowledge, and see the only really distasteful philosophies as those that either condemn or exclude others... unfortunately that is currently most institutionalised religions.

The OP just highlights the fact that people are becoming more knowledgeable about their place in the universe, and that given the trend, organised religion will be replaced, by the majority of humanity, with a different universal view, and will exponentially happen once around 50% think that way, which means that there is less of a need for fabrications to explain the world around us.

This is not a "side" issue, this is the evolving consciousness of humanity, and doesn't exclude the concept of a universal creator... even if there is no direct proof for divinity.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: puzzlesphere

originally posted by: DarknStormy
Do you still feel like your on the winning side?

... and therein lies the problem... do you really feel the need to be on a "side"?

I try not to take "sides", I try to understand my fellow human beings' viewpoint, and reach a synthesis of understanding with all ideas.

I enjoy diversity of thought and knowledge, and see the only really distasteful philosophies as those that either condemn or exclude others... unfortunately that is currently most institutionalised religions.

The OP just highlights the fact that people are becoming more knowledgeable about their place in the universe, and that given the trend, organised religion will be replaced, by the majority of humanity, with a different universal view, and will exponentially happen once around 50% think that way, which means that there is less of a need for fabrications to explain the world around us.

This is not a "side" issue, this is the evolving consciousness of humanity, and doesn't exclude the concept of a universal creator... even if there is no direct proof for divinity.

Cheers

Well said!

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   

I would have thought there would be a higher percentage of unbelievers. It would be over 50% here in Australia.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
All these different people, from different nations, with different religions. But if you ask any one of them, they will tell you that they are the real believers, and the rest are false. l m a o

It's pretty sad really, like a bunch of kids fighting over which football team is #1 or who's father is stronger.
Any world without such fantasies is the world I want my daughter to grow up in.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
It would be helpful if those numbers were backed with some figures and statistics from reliable sources. The information I found says that 15% do not belong to a 'religion'. SOURCE HERE . And this Gallup poll HERE says that 18% of Americans do not belong to a 'religion'. The information also says that these figures have been holding rather steady for the past few years.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I may not believe in a creator, but I do believe in religion. Mostly because, I can see a church. No belief required.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Danbones

Its just a cute little saying religious people like to use. Though its far from the truth. When an Atheist says "oh god" people take that to mean they are invoking a creator, when its nothing more than a figure of speech.

edit on 29-4-2014 by Shakawkaw because: Never gonna tell it.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I wouldnt have thought the number was so low.

Must be all those "I go to church on Easter" types answering as believing.

If you mark off everyone who half-asses it as a non-believer it probably jumps to 60%.

In my day to day life I find it quite rare to run into any religious people unless they're 90 years old or terminal. Folks seem to get a bad case of wishful thinking when looking down the barrel of nothingness.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Before I jump on the great news bandwagon like the other non-believers in this thread, where are your links to sources and evidence of these claims? I refuse to accept even good news as true unless I see evidence to substantiate these claims.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Spoken like a true agnostic lol.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Those number does not represent Atheist tho.

It could be..

those that say they are not affiliated with any religion to avoid arguments.

those that do not believe in our current know gods and their religions.

those that do not believe in organized religion but believe in god

and many more.

Atheist are just more resilient toward their non believe-ness.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
These ancient Religions have stymied human growth and knowledge for far to long. If not for religion humans would probably know how to live 1000 years or more and many deadly diseases would have cures by now. Religion has caused more death through war and strife than any other political agenda and is causing death even now due to religious intolerance for science. Science that could prolong and save lives. Science that could ensure none are Hungary ever. Until we break these ancient bonds we are going to continue to live short lives and watch our loved ones die to cancer.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE
Didn't know the numbers were quite this high. 19.6 % of all Americans don't believe in any of the organized religions. With that percent jumping to 33% of Americans under 30 falling into the same category. The rates have ballooned 15% points in the last 20 years.

I was just hopping that the numbers of rational people was higher.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE

He gave the US 50 more years till we reach the tipping point where 51% of the population will be atheist of agnostic.

Is this info from the CIA Factbook... or some lamenting by some Evangelist hoping to deliver the message of 'God' worldwide but needs to pass the collection plate ?

personally I am not joined to any organized religion or worship for salvation religion model... the Earth as Goddess, Creator, Sustainer is closest to my mindset with the 'Spirit' emanating from all things (wind spirit-water spirit-animal spirits, etc etc)...is Paganism an 'Organized Religion' does the SCOTUS or the IRS have a ruling on that
edit on th30139877637129592014 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join