It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since it seems we ATS authors can share our work, here is my urban fantasy novel.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
There is a lot of talent on this website it seems.
The Unbeliever

If faith can move mountains, what can the utter lack of faith achieve?

Major Max Bradley left his faith, along with a leg, in the sands of Iraq. Even the Marine Corps, the only thing that mattered to him, thanked him for his service and sent him on his way. Feeling abandoned, left adrift and without purpose, scotch and oxycontin became his only friends. He lives a hermit's life on a boat moored in a small coastal North Carolina town, struggling with addiction as well as the physical and emotional scars from a war that now seems pointless. He only just exists, caught between pain and despair, until one night his world and his perceived place in that world are turned upside down.

A call for help snaps him out of his drug laden fog and a chance midnight rescue brings him together with the woman who will pull him out of himself and will show him that he is more powerful than he has ever imagined.

The idea is that an atheist can fight the powers of darkness too.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Sounds interesting

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Sounds interesting

One thing that I thought would be an interesting take on the genre, was to have a protagonist who didn't believe in the supernatural--at all, and that was where his skillset lies.

Also, since I have a lot of experience with PTSD and addiction, I thought that those would make interesting sub-plot issues for the main character.
edit on 28-4-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I'll buy a copy!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I'll buy a copy!

Let me apologize in advance--there are a lot of swear words and sex in it.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

I'll buy a copy!

Oh, a political novel then.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I'll buy a copy!

Oh, a political novel then.

LOL.

There was some personal catharsis put into the wartime flashbacks though.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

This isn't one of those "Idiot's Guide to the Military" books cleverly disguised as a self-discovery novel, is it?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

This isn't one of those "Idiot's Guide to the Military" books cleverly disguised as a self-discovery novel, is it?

LOL. THe military is just backstory. The hero is a disabled vet, but that's not the main crux of the book at all.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

LOL. THe military is just backstory. The hero is a disabled vet, but that's not the main crux of the book at all.

Cool, because it sounds very interesting. I'm particularly interested to know how a creature of the night plays into the vet's recovery.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
So, its a disabled grumbly skeptic who is faced with paranormal events. I would think he would on a dime reverse his position on anything he is confronted with.
You can doubt in the rain until...it starts raining.
Whats the antagonist? the cover makes it look like a vamp novel (..do they sparkle?
)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
So, its a disabled grumbly skeptic who is faced with paranormal events. I would think he would on a dime reverse his position on anything he is confronted with.
Whats the antagonist? the cover makes it look like a vamp novel (..do they sparkle?
)

Good point. The guy is such a pragmatist (and a few other things that get explained mid way through) that the supernatural does not exist within 25 yards of him. He does have a radius.

Yeah, there are vamps, but old school ones, not sparkly ones. The love interest is a vamp who is a normal, living, breathing human as long as she is within 25 yards of the protagonist.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Cool, because it sounds very interesting. I'm particularly interested to know how a creature of the night plays into the vet's recovery.

That's an integral part. Max is (or was) a John Wayne in his own mind--a hardscrabble, tough, warfighter who loves his job. When he loses his leg, he loses what he considers his "manhood" and since he is medically retired from the USMC due to his wounds he feels worthless, despondent, and depressed.

She is a vamp who hates being one. She was turned when she was a young girl and she misses things like sunlight and she never got to experience having a family. The only thing that keeps her going is thoughts of revenge on those that made her into a monster.

The symbiotic relationship comes in where she is "human" as long as she is with Max and she brings along with her several baddies who want to destroy her so in her Max has a reason to bust heads again and the ability to do it that does not require him to be physically whole.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

)

Good point. The guy is such a pragmatist (and a few other things that get explained mid way through) that the supernatural does not exist within 25 yards of him. He does have a radius.

Yeah, there are vamps, but old school ones, not sparkly ones. The love interest is a vamp who is a normal, living, breathing human as long as she is within 25 yards of the protagonist.

ok, that's actually an ironic twist. he himself has a supernatural ability of neutralization. I quite like that concept, especially considering he simply doesn't believe in it. talk about a hurdle to leap over.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

)

ok, that's actually an ironic twist. he himself has a supernatural ability of neutralization. I quite like that concept, especially considering he simply doesn't believe in it. talk about a hurdle to leap over.

Yep! I'm glad you caught the irony of the situation. He goes through most of the book without believing in the stuff that goes around him because he never actually gets face to face with it...until a point.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

)

I just wanted to say that I enjoyed the conversation. I do like talking about books and writing.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

)

I just wanted to say that I enjoyed the conversation. I do like talking about books and writing.

I am a (nervous) writer in my spare time, mostly zombie novels because they are easy (as in I write em, review them, then promptly archive them verses share because I am a big chicken..so I give anyone props for publishing em.yeah, I am a wimp like that), but I do enjoy reading a lot. talk to authors on twitter often. Also support inde authors whenever possible.

What style of writing do you do? Who influences your style? I never really did like the first person journal type writing until I read Tufo's ZFO books. He does it well enough to make me appreciate some forms, but it is hard to pull off overall without it reading a bit amature. Still, if the story is good and the characters well developed, then it works regardless of style.

Armand Rosamilla is starting up a podcast thing for horror genre writers. You might contact him to see if you can get in on that action...not sure if its going to be a regular thing or what, but self promotion is effective on social media.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I have a million questions and I'm sure many would as well.

Why don't you do an "Ask me anything" thread!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

)

I am a (nervous) writer in my spare time, mostly zombie novels because they are easy (as in I write em, review them, then promptly archive them verses share because I am a big chicken..so I give anyone props for publishing em.yeah, I am a wimp like that), but I do enjoy reading a lot. talk to authors on twitter often. Also support inde authors whenever possible.

What style of writing do you do? Who influences your style? I never really did like the first person journal type writing until I read Tufo's ZFO books. He does it well enough to make me appreciate some forms, but it is hard to pull off overall without it reading a bit amature. Still, if the story is good and the characters well developed, then it works regardless of style.

Armand Rosamilla is starting up a podcast thing for horror genre writers. You might contact him to see if you can get in on that action...not sure if its going to be a regular thing or what, but self promotion is effective on social media.

I was an English major twenty years ago in a university full of engineers (US Naval Academy). All English majors are frustrated novelists.

I'm like you, I very rarely can get into a first person narrative. It does work with some writes, but I agree that it is hard to pull off for the same reasons.

I read a lot. I like the humor of Terry Pratchett, the character development of Stephen King, and the action of a John Ringo. Mike Crichton is my idol since he wrote very well across many genres and not many writers can do that well.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I have a million questions and I'm sure many would as well.

Why don't you do an "Ask me anything" thread!

Where would that go? In which forum?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join