It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ferry sinking off South Korean coast, over 470 people on board

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Mods: I didn't know where to put this. Please move where appropriate.

A passenger ferry off the coast of South Korea with 472 people on board sent out a distress signal to South Korea’s coast guard, Korean media reported, adding that the vessel is slowly sinking.

Many of the passengers on board were high school students on their way to Jeju Island as part of a school trip, according to Yonhap news agency. Local media is reporting that there are 324 students and 10 school employees aboard the ship.

Link

I hope everyone is rescued.

edit on 15-4-2014 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Can i be the first to say,

WTF? (you musta linked the wrong pic)

Oh, ok.

So i hope those people make it!
edit on 4/15/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/15/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Just heard on CNN, so of course, I came here 1st. CNN says all students & teachers are wearing life vests...thanks for the pic, it looks like their not to far from Shore, which is good....thoughts out to them all, that they will make it safely off the ship. S&f OP! As a parent, I would be freaking out right about now if my child was on that ship....

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I wonder of lil Kim hasn't anything to do with it

Probably developed sharks with fricking laser beams knowing him

All joking aside, I hope everybody gets off safely as possible seem it's well attended to by the authority's anyway,

edit on 15-4-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Reuters breaking - all rescued.

South Korea: All 338 students, teachers on board sinking ferry have been rescued - @Reuters

Very scary situation for them all nonetheless. Will take a while to recover.

www.breakingnews.com...
edit on 15-4-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Far out- I hope everyone is alive and safe. I just read that everyone has been rescued which is a relief- I just hope there weren't any stowaways...!

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Maluhia
Reuters breaking - all rescued.

South Korea: All 338 students, teachers on board sinking ferry have been rescued - @Reuters

Very scary situation for them all nonetheless. Will take a while to recover.

www.breakingnews.com...
edit on 15-4-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

Isn't that just the students and teachers? the OP states....

A sinking passenger ferry with 472 people on board

However I'm sure everybody has been safely rescued by now, are there any links to suggest the full 472 people that where on board have been rescued ?
edit on 15-4-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TritonTaranis

I think there is some confusion as to how many were actually on board and perhaps Reuters jumped the gun -the situation is obviously fluid and extremely chaotic. I'm still seeing reports of "on-going" rescue, but from various sources so timing (of the reports) is not clear. Hopefully, Reuters is right.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
So far it sounds like almost everyone was recused, with one confirmed fatality. From the OP source:

One person was found dead inside the sinking vessel, Reuters quoted a South Korean coast guard official as saying.
Possible cause of the accident:

There are reports that the ferry hit a reef during thick fog.

Glad to see almost everyone survived.
According to BBC survivors were asked to jump in the water and await rescue.

One person has died and almost 150 have been rescued so far. Reports say remaining passengers have been told to jump into the sea to await rescue.

edit on 15-4-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: add source and cause of accident

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Jennyfrenzy

That you Jenny for posting that. I am so happy that everyone was rescued. I am so sorry about the fatality.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Im not sure this is accurate. Still104 unaccounted for.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I'm hearing reports people are missing still unaccounted for etc

This is getting stranger by the minute, something's amiss
edit on 16-4-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Were there no life preservers or rafts available on this ferry? Why would the operator ask passengers to stay in place? There were walker reports of rescuers asking passengers to jump in the water, and the water is pretty darn cold. There are also reports of passengers that were trapped inside the ferry when it sank. Investigators are considering the possibility the ferry hit a reef, something doesn't add up with this accident.

The ferry, identified as the Sewol, was sailing to the southern island of Jeju when it sent a distress call as it began leaning to one side.

Kim said that after having breakfast he felt the ferry tilt and then heard it crash into something. He said the ferry operator made an announcement asking that passengers wait and not move from their places. Kim said he didn't hear any announcement telling passengers to escape

This does not sound good.

The water temperature in the area was about 55 degrees Fahrenheit, cold enough to cause signs of hypothermia after about 90 minutes or 2 hours, according to an emergency official who spoke on condition of anonymity citing department rules.

Hundreds still missing...
edit on 16-4-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: spelling

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I was following this last night and can't believe they get away with crap like this on the blood moon and the 102 anniversary of Titanic. Apparently 290 still missing, lots of high school students. And to me this was an illuminati blood moon sacrifice.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I am surprised this thread has not received much attention. Looking at the pictures posted of the vessels hull on the daily mail website www.dailymail.co.uk... I can't see any damage to the bow or anywhere else. If it hit rocks then it must be on the submerged side as it certainly doesn't look like it ran into anything looking at the bow . NK are known to have mini subs and have form using them. It's more likely hit rocks but I also think at this time it is possible at least that it could have been torpedoed . Hope they find more survivors soon .

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I started my thread on this earlier which has now been closed. I did a search but yours didn't show up for some reason.

Anyway.... I just typed this in mine:

This sounds pretty bad!

Many youngsters on board heading to JEJU Island for a 4 day trip! One passenger says they heard a loud bang before the Ferry begin to subside and sink..

But I reckon he wants to blame NK for this already.

I had a vision a couple days ago or thoughts anyway that a ship was going to go down somewhere... I should have posted about it but as usual I forgot. i was thinking that its been 100 years more or less since the sinking of the Titanic and that if things were to repeat themselves, then a ship sinking now with many on board would be a good start for that Theology (not sure if this is the right word). You know what began 28th July 1914? 2 years after the Titanic sunk?

I hope they do find some alive but as another poster said in my thread, its very cold in the waters off sk.. well, its very cold in any water after a while...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

skynews are reporting that 295 are still missing

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Used to live on Jeju and I find this hard to believe. My wife is from there anD she's in shock.

Damn I hope we have good news.

Peace

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

The water in that area is cold enough to cause hypothermia:

Experts say in most cases, the temperature must be below 32 degrees.
But wind chill, how well skin is protected and moisture levels factor into the risk.
According to the mayoclinic.com, "hypothermia occurs most commonly at freezing temperatures, but can occur even at cool temperatures(above 40°F) if a person becomes chilled from rain, sweat or submersion in cold water."

source

About 300 people are still missing

At least 164 had been rescued, although some media reports put the number at as many as 179.
Still, nearly 300 people remained missing. A massive rescue operation resumed early Thursday after a delay of several hours, the South Korean Coast Guard told CNN. The reason for the delay was unclear.

The U.S. Navy ship USS Bonhomme Richard, on routine patrol in the area, diverted to the scene and was standing by in case South Korean officials ask for help, said Lt. Arlo Abrahamson, spokesman for the U.S. Navy in South Korea.
cnn.com

It's not looking good for the missing passengers, could they survive after being in cold water that long?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

The text messages from the teens to their parents were heartbreaking.
The ferry tragedy is one more horrific event in the Spring of 2014.

source: www.mirror.co.uk...

edit on 16-4-2014 by drwill because: source

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join