It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police are Testing a "Live Google Earth" to Watch Crime as it Happens

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   

In Compton last year, police began quietly testing a system that allowed them to do something incredible: Watch every car and person in real time as they ebbed and flowed around the city. Every assault, every purse snatched, every car speeding away was on record...

McNutt describes his product as "a live version of Google Earth, only with TiVo capabilities,"...

More specifically, PSS outfits planes with an array of super high-resolution cameras that allow a pilot to record a 25-square-mile patch of Earth constantly—for up to six hours...

Police are Testing a "Live Google Earth" to Watch Crime as it Happens

Predictably, the mixture of Surveillance Satellites, Public Cameras, Google Street View and Google Earth is turning into a real-time Super-Big-Brother Police State.

I`m tired of hearing "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about". If humankind doesn't understand what is wrong with this and why science-fiction authors have warned about this for more than a century, they are bound to lose first their privacy, and then their freedom.

The popular meme being peddled by MSM is now "You can't have the expectation of privacy in a public space".

edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
This is why the 10,000 domestic drones bill was passed.

100% live coverage over every populated area.

And yes, the CIA will have access to every states systems.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
"Total Peace through total Surveillance" was the dream of every tyrant and dictator in History. Enabled by the docile populace who prefers "total security" to freedom.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Gives the police something to do at the donut shop when theyre not beating innocent citizens or shooting peoples pets.. privacy is dead in western countries these days ..

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
For those who will say that this is a good thing that will reduce crime: Yes, it will reduce crime. As long as we have freedom of movement and freedom of speech, its all well and good. But put this technology into the hands of a tyrant that outlaws basic freedoms and rights and you have a problem.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

It's the age old question of 'Who guards the guards?'
It doesn't seem that long ago that we were outraged by the thought of cctv on our streets - now we accept that it's all good, and it has become normal.

It's not good enough to accept that we should have to give up the right to privacy in public, and I agree with your sentiment that the 'if you've got nothing to hide, then why worry?' argument is deeply flawed.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

The problem is, this isn't new. It isn't "just starting". It's been going on for a while now. Except, it was on the the NSA/CIA who had the Satellite time. Now, it's going to be opened up to local LEO.

Snowden was trying to warn everyone, but he was a day late and a dollar short.

What purpose would a huge, Government owned server farm in Utah have?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
If I recall this correctly I've seen a TED talk about this very subject last year, and now it's operational ?
Lets see if I can find a link to that talk...

edit: Nope, I can't seem to find it anymore.. But I KNOW it was on there, a long time ago. I know I said a year, but it could be longer ago..
edit on 15-4-2014 by TommyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

network dude

Snowden was trying to warn everyone, but he was a day late and a dollar short.

History will remember Snowden as a lone voice of dissent who foresaw the rise of Dystopia.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
"Nah, this can't be true.. not in America, this is science fiction."

Keep lying to yourselves.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
So the ability to watch a criminal act in real time prevents crime how? Seems it's just a way to shine the law enforcement turd with technology. We can't stop the crime from happening or protect you from it but now we can watch youre rape/beating/mugging live!

And if YouTube and UStream are any indication of what 15 minutes of Internet fame can get morons to do expect to see people actively following the camera to intentionally be seen on said camera doing whatever it is they think will get them notoriety. Everything from the harmless Google camera car posing to punching out random people and giving the lens a thumbs up to high profile "as seen on TV" drivebys.
edit on 15-4-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
This is a joke. Just what kind of actual resolution will this be at. Just take the footage of stuff going down in Iraq.
Yes they have a gun ok permission to fire granted. Oops it was a camera and the crew got wasted.

This is just not as good as being on the ground sounds more like a pipe dream thinking it's going to deter crime. Tracking a vehicle perhaps but drug deals and many other crimes will be unaffected. Just look at the resolution of most store cameras. Poor. Banks for that matter.

Those drone cameras are actually not capable of Identifying say Bin Laden takes informants to do that on the ground like Doctors and such.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Person of Interest.

F&S&

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Well, it probably will deter crime if you have a camera-drone over your head 24/7. Unfortunately it will also deter anything else, including non-conformity, creativity, dissent and a whole host of other things.

Its overkill. Its as if I wanted to get rid of cockroaches in a house and the proceeded to demolish the whole house.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

soficrow

Person of Interest.

I quit watching after a few episodes because of the underlying message.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

The support/rely on vigilante thing or what?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Then how about this -

You have no expectation of privacy in public.

As for government overreach I think the incident in Nevada spoke volumes and sent a clear message to the federal government.
edit on 15-4-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I think the gov has been watching for a long time. I believe they watch live from satellites, able to zoom in at a detailed level, and probably listen to us as well. All the info that they gather, they use. If someone is making a stink on the internet, they can identify them and zoom in and watch and listen to see just how much of a "threat" this person actually is. I don't agree with police having this type of technology. It's illegal and invasion of privacy. Citizens should unite and put an end to things such as this. After all, they work for the people. Or do they?(rhetorical BS)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
So out of curiosity, what does total surveillance in and of itself pose as a risk? You have to add things to it to make it harmful no? Like if they decided to alter the videos for whatever reason to make it look like you committed a crime? Or if sometime down the road IF they make certain strange things illegal like going to church or mosque? Just the surveillance piece by itself doesn't really bother me. I would feel safer to tell you the truth... mainly because I don't commit crimes and it would protect me against those who do.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

thisguyrighthere
So the ability to watch a criminal act in real time prevents crime how?

I think they are going for accountability then prevention by accountability.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join