It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to store Meat in the heat!! Nor freezer no cold weather.. Only 95 degree temps and $300 of meat.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Well if this is in the wrong spot pleas forgive me its been a long time since I put a post on here..lol..
I have $300 of meat in my freezer and if power was lost for 6 months or a year, how would i store it raw or cooked..

Now i really dont want to have a grill party for those who understand what that means..lol... I looked this up and found no way what so ever.. If i make beef jerky the mold will get to it.. cause of the dampness of the meat.. I only have a charcoal grill and that is it.. Again $300 dollars of beef.. what do I do with it... HOW DO I STORE IT IN 95 DEGREES TEMPS.. or can I ?????

If so would you please help me.. Remember i cannot afford a dehydrater... how every you spell it..

thank you for your help...

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

Build your own smoker. It is easy as easy gets. Or you can use an oven like this link suggests. Google is your friend.

Smoking in an oven

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

Home made smoker?
www.brighthub.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

Not sure you can unless you dehydrate the meat.

Try salt.

Good luck.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

Give all $300 worth to me. Problem solved...

In all honesty. If you are really concerned about the loss of $300 of meat. You should consider selling something you don't really need to buy a dehydrator, or to buy the supplies to make one at home. It's up to you to choose what is most important to you.

Des

edit on 14-4-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

I clicked this thread because the title suggests you have the answer.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

Have you looked into cureing with salt? It is a really old fashion way to preserve meat.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Trueman
reply to post by eeks4

Yep...the title snagged me too. It should say "how do I store meat". I was hoping to see a nifty new process, that I knew nothing about.

Des

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Can it in jars.
Mother Earth News

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Destinyone

Trueman
reply to post by eeks4

Yep...the title snagged me too. It should say "how do I store meat". I was hoping to see a nifty new process, that I knew nothing about.

Des

If I were going by the title alone, I would have said that I keep mine in my underwear... it hasn't spoiled yet.

On topic, other than freezing, there is: salting, drying, smoking or canning.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

Pressure can it. You can raw pack or pre cook either way you'll have tasty meat that's shelf stable and will last for a few years! Lots of info and vids on YT but whatever you do make sure it's a reliable source. Get a ball blue book or check with your local extension office!

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
There are several ways to go about this, but here is a video that shows you how to make a DIY dehydrator for around $20. There are other videos on youtube also that show you a DIY set up but instead of a hot light it uses like a space heater. Keep in mind if you plan to try a DIY style dehydrator you'll most likely want to take some extra safety precautions.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
There are a few ways, and you don't even have to cure the meat, necessarily.

If you "own" your property, you can dig a hole (line it of course) and store your food in there- it'll be very cool (think of how cool the basement is). If you live in an area where it freezes in winter, make sure you dig below the frost line. Secure it in a manner that precludes animal entrepreneurs.

Another, kind of fun way would be to use the zeer method- using clay pots.

The zeer, or clay pot refrigeration keeps food cool (icy cold) without electricity by using evaporative cooling. Essentially, a porous outer earthenware pot, lined with wet sand, contains an inner pot (which can be glazed to prevent penetration by the li

All that is needed to create a clay pot refrigerator is two terra cotta pots, one larger than the other, as well as some sand, water, and cloth. To make the “fridge”, you just put one pot inside the other, and fill up the spaces with wet sand, which keeps the inside of the pots cold. You will also need to put a wet towel over the top to keep the warm air and light from getting in.

Clicky

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SilverStarGazer

Good thought.

You can can just about anything.

Ham, bacon, chicken feet, fingers, beef......etc....

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

Buy a generator and a big storage tank for fuel for it.
Wire it into your electrical panel.
Plug your freezer in.
Problem solved.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

Its really not that hard, or complicated.

www.greatnorthernprepper.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Trueman
reply to post by eeks4

lol.. sorry i didnt say it right.. i need the answer.. and im sure alot would like to know as well.. HELP!!! SORRY DIDNT TYPE IT CORRECTLY.. Im so sorry...please forgive me...

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Exactly.

Can it!!! I can every meat there is.

Including bacon.
Easy peasy.

Cut it up, put it in jars, then in a pressure cooker. 75 Min. for pints, 90 for quarts.
Except the bacon, just lay it out on butcher paper, roll it up, put it in a quart widemouth, then process for 90 min.
edit on 14-4-2014 by chiefsmom because: addition

edit on 14-4-2014 by chiefsmom because: clarify

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Destinyone
reply to post by eeks4

Give all $300 worth to me. Problem solved...

In all honesty. If you are really concerned about the loss of $300 of meat. You should consider selling something you don't really need to buy a dehydrator, or to buy the supplies to make one at home. It's up to you to choose what is most important to you.

Des

edit on 14-4-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

Its not loosing the money what so ever.. its loosing the meat.(FOOD)...lol.. well i would most deffently share it with you...

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

snypwsd
reply to post by eeks4

Have you looked into cureing with salt? It is a really old fashion way to preserve meat.

Sorry to miss inform all.. it was suppose to be a ?.. So sorry for that.. im getting alot of smoking and curing.. im going to look it up/... Now really if you have what i have in my fridge and freezer.. and all of a sudden you loose your power and your not expecting to have power for at least 6 months or longer what do you do..

You have a charcoal grill..?? its 95 degrees outside.. and 70 degrees or hotter at night.. what and how do you save the meat you need to eat to survive,, or does it go to rotting??

top topics

<<   2 >>

join