It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alexander Sees UFOs at the Siege of Tyre

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Ok people, I'm trying to track down a reputable source that establishes that there really was an incident during the seven-month long Siege of Tyre in 332 BC in which "flying shields" helped Alexander to take over the city.

Any and all help would be nice, please link me if possible.

[edit on 28-11-2004 by TheBorg]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Hello? Anyone have any ideas? I dunno if anyone saw this to begin with or not, so I'm going to kick it to be sure it gets some notice.

Again, please send links if you have them. Thanks go to everyone that can help.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I wasn't able to find much, just some basic info similar to what you wrote.

www.altuit.com...

web.bryant.edu...

Not much else. They do make reference to the incident being recorded by Alexander's historians. I'd love to see that translated in English preferably. I wonder if anyone's read it.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Ya, it really would help to be able to truly validate any of this as fact. As far as I can tell, it could just as easily have been made up by someone to support their theory that aliens have been with us for centuries, cause I see no proof anywhere.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Anyone else have any insight? I'm guessing that no one either has seen this or knows no more than I do on this issue.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Look for a TV documentary from History Channel called "Ancient Aliens" they also talk about Alexanders Flying Shields.

Best of luck, and please post your findings too!

Cade

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Cade,

I've seen the show that you're talking about, and they don't even mention what specific document recalls that encounter. If I could just find it, it might change my mind on a number of things. I just need to know the surrounding details of the story; if he was dreaming, or if both sides did in fact see these things.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:49 AM
link   
You may be confusing two separate events and sightings. Both would have been during Alexander's reign...

332 BC Phoenicia, Tyre: During the siege of the trade capital of Phoenicia by the Greeks a fleet of flying shields is described as plunged from the sky and crashed upon the city walls.

329 BC: Alexander the Great records two great silver shields, spitting fire around the rims in the sky that dived repeatedly at his army as they were attempting a river crossing. The action so panicked his elephants, horses, and men they had to abandon the river crossing until the following day.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   
from what i have read the aliens have helped mankind directly in the past...

why don't they help us directly now???

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I didn't know tyres were invented back then

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
Cade,

I've seen the show that you're talking about, and they don't even mention what specific document recalls that encounter. If I could just find it, it might change my mind on a number of things. I just need to know the surrounding details of the story; if he was dreaming, or if both sides did in fact see these things.

Well I don't know what documents, but the show does say that the event was recorded by both sides of the "war", so this rules out dreaming. I hope you find the documents and please post it back here, I too am VERY interested in this!

I just saw this program for the first time 2 days ago, so the part about both sides recording the event is fresh in my memory.

Good hunting !

Cade

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The *Campaigns of Alexander* by Arrian is usually considered the most complete contemporary account of Alexander's conquests:
www.amazon.com...

I read it a long time ago in college... but I honestly can't remember what it said about Tyre (I'll have to review it tonight after work).

In researching this story, I suggest that people look at documentation that has a provenance that can be traced back to ancient times rather than just relying on internet resources or tv specials. To be frank, if such ufo stories appear in modern materials but not in contemporary sources... this legend would be a hoax.

[edit on 29-11-2004 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
You may be confusing two separate events and sightings. Both would have been during Alexander's reign...

332 BC Phoenicia, Tyre: During the siege of the trade capital of Phoenicia by the Greeks a fleet of flying shields is described as plunged from the sky and crashed upon the city walls.

329 BC: Alexander the Great records two great silver shields, spitting fire around the rims in the sky that dived repeatedly at his army as they were attempting a river crossing. The action so panicked his elephants, horses, and men they had to abandon the river crossing until the following day.

Yeah Gaz, I know there were two separate incidents, but what I'm trying to figure out is what historical documents back them up as fact? If we could find those, maybe someone could legitimately say, "Hey!! Look here! We found evidence that there ARE others out there interfering in our lives!"

If I could just find that(those) stinkin illusive document(s).

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Alexander the Great - King of Macedonia
... run greeks run ...

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   
LOL! Alexander only ran because he was caught in the commotion, I'm sure.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I have heard the account of this event before quite amazing. Not only were they watching the event but taking a active role in the battle. Swooping down low and scattering horses and men. I think it even brought down the walls of Tryre with a light if I remember right. That changed the battle in Alexander's favor greatly.

Screw the prime directive it would seem.

The way they described them as silver shields in the sky
I mean how eles would you desribe a UFO back then. They had to relate them to something they knew and I think they did a good job.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Heck, that's about the only way WE can describe them even today.

I'm still looking for a source with some credibility though. Let me know if any of you find it.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Swooping down low and scattering horses and men. I think it even brought down the walls of Tryre with a light if I remember right

Refer to my two cited instances... They crashed into the walls, according to the account.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The accounts I found desribed it like this

"Suddenly from the largest "shield" came a
lightning-flash that struck the walls, these crumbled, other
flashes followed and walls and towers dissolved, as if they had
been built of mud "

I never heard of them crashing into the walls that seems like a very low tech way to attack giant walls.

www.virtuallystrange.net...

www.altuit.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Yeah, I've seen all of these websites. What I'm currently looking for are historical documents, either referenced by title or author, that vividly account the incidents as they happened. According to the History Channel show, the incident was reported by BOTH sides. Well, where are the documents that affirm this? I have yet to see them, or hear reference to them as a source. Sounds to me like someone is doing some Plaigarising.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join