It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fruit of the Loom to close Jamestown plant, lay off all 600 workers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Fruit of the Loom, owned by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway but headquartered in Bowling Green, said the move is "part of the company's ongoing efforts to align its global supply chain" and will allow the company to better use its existing investments to provide products cheaper and faster.

The company said it is moving the plant's textile operations to Honduras to save money.

Fruit of the Loom to close Jamestown plant, lay off all 600 workers

Fruit of the Loom Hangs its Employees Out to Dry

On 04/03/2014 Fruit of the Loom announced that it was permanently closing its Jamestown, Kentucky factory and laying off 600 workers as "part of the company's ongoing efforts to align its global supply chain". In other words, Fruit of the Loom is opening a plant in Honduras in order to increase profits by paying its new employees less than $2 an hour (assuming they decide to pay above minimum wage.)

Fruit of the Loom is well aware that they provide 1/3 of all manufacturing jobs in Russell County. As of February 2014, Russell County's unemployment rate was at 11.5 percent and Fruit of the Loom will single-handedly cause that unemployment rate to skyrocket to as high as 18.9 percent.

To add insult to injury, on 04/01/2014, a mere two days before the announced layoffs, Fruit of the Loom released a fake April Fools’ Day commercial advertising the “Undie Iron” which promises to “smooth undie creases and frowns in seconds.” I doubt that the “Undie Iron” will ever succeed in smoothing the frowns of the 600 soon-to-be-unemployed residents of Russell County.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BattleStarGal

Bummer! I have worn USA made undies for a long time as I try to buy as much as possible from US manufactures.

Hey Warren if you are listening, just want you to know you just lost a customer. My junk swings in Red, White and Blue only.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
But if I want to save money buying something from out of state or country online its criminal. funny how that works.

I guess another brand to stop buying.

They could save more money by not shipping their new crap here. Think of the savings.

Maybe we could start putting tariffs on stuff that has been outsourced.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Mamatus

Bummer! I have worn USA made undies for a long time as I try to buy as much as possible from US manufactures.

Hey Warren if you are listening, just want you to know you just lost a customer. My junk swings in Red, White and Blue only.

I second this. I never used to think that boycotts did any good, and I'm still not sure they do, but now I do stop buying from companies who do this kind of garbage and I do let them know that I'm not buying their products anymore. Probably has no effect on them at all but at least I sleep better.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Should be titled: under wear and tear, factory hits the skids...

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

What's the problem here?

A company is moving operations to a place where it costs less to make something than it does here in the US.

A company is supposed to make money, not be there to provide jobs.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

macman

What's the problem here?

A company is moving operations to a place where it costs less to make something than it does here in the US.

because screw america, right?

i'm glad i don't use their products, otherwise, i'd hafta be pissed at having to find a new brand...

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

macman

What's the problem here?

Though that is true, it is also true that these people will be added to the millions already un-employed and desperately trying to get by. And if amnesty for illegals goes through, there's plenty of jobs that could be had by citizens but won't. We keep hearing about college kids who can't even find employment these days. It is very sad.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
well that's 600 insurance polices they wont have to provide for their employees.
any body want to take a guess on how many more companies are gonna move out of the U.S., saying and quite truthfully i might add, it's to save money.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I just sent an email off to Fruit of the Loom letting them know they lost a loyal customer - Now while it won't save the jobs or change a darn thing at least a voice was heard.

Contact Fruit of the Loom

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

What's the problem here?

reply to post by macman

You are right. but it is our right to say FU to that company and spend our money elsewhere. Just as I am sure somebody out there would do your job for less money, why don't you offer up that suggestion to your superiors? all in the name of company profit

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Mamatus
I just sent an email off to Fruit of the Loom letting them know they lost a loyal customer - Now while it won't save the jobs or change a darn thing at least a voice was heard.

Contact Fruit of the Loom

Thanks so much for the link! I wrote too! It won't change their decision but maybe it will bother their conscience. Worth a shot anyway.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

tinner07

What's the problem here?

reply to post by macman

You are right. but it is our right to say FU to that company and spend our money elsewhere. Just as I am sure somebody out there would do your job for less money, why don't you offer up that suggestion to your superiors? all in the name of company profit

Back before I was disabled, the last job that I had closed down and moved South to save money. These people make billions of dollars and have companies all over the world. There is making a lot of money and then there is greed. So many lives were affected negatively and many suffered because of this.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

macman

What's the problem here?

That's true. That's the American way nowadays. What's another 600 to the 50 million plus on the welfare/foodstamp dole. Hey, like Mittens said, corporations are people too.
edit on 4-4-2014 by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

macman

What's the problem here?

Agree with you. My problem with it is the USA's policies make it cheaper for companies like this to move jobs out of America.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Sad. Another one bites the dust. Too bad the 600 can't try to buy it and keep going, maybe making something even better. They have the skills.

I personally can't wait until they figure out a way to outsource our few remaining jobs.

...Law enforcement by drone brought to you by the controllers from Minsk.
...TeacherTube brought to you by talking heads from India.

(That was sarcasm. Sort of.)

edit on 4/4/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Fruit of the Loom is removing all of the machinery from the Jamestown, Kentucky plant and shipping it to Honduras starting on June 2014.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Yeah of course. Sigh....

Well maybe they can get some new machinery. Or build it. Again, the people have the skills.

I just hate when we feel useless and powerless in the face of things like this.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

My problem with it is the USA's policies make it cheaper for companies like this to move jobs out of America.

Correct and if they don't change their policies, things will only get worse.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
When I first hit the workforce you could literally quit one job and walk right into another in the same day. It was like that for many years, jobs were everywhere. Now, people have to fight tooth and nail to get even a part time job in many areas. This Country of ours has changed so much over the years, I hardly recognize it anymore.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join