It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why so many pop-ups and ads?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I can't click on one god damned thing on this website anymore without four pop ups and at least three random ads playing music or talking. Clean your site up please.

(post by droxs removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by th3onetruth

There are tools you can add to your IE or Chrome (and others) that will stop this from happening. Internet ads annoy me to no end. I have scouted and found a neat lil pluggin for keeping ALL ads from my browsers. You can also Opt out for such things via google and yahoo and many other ad companies involved. That's another way to get rid of the problem. Most ads are run by one big ad company or another.

Id give you direction but dunno how ATS would take it since they make money from these ads. So I'll have to be vague
Google it, you'll find plenty of info on blocking ads.

edit on 31-3-2014 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by droxs

I will look into it post haste, but I shouldn't have to download something extra in order to surf the net ad free

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Ya seriously...ATS is a sell-out...what a freaking joke...Happens with all the big sites, they get greedy and destroy themselves. Look at google, youtube, FB ect ect

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

th3onetruth
reply to post by droxs

I will look into it post haste, but I shouldn't have to download something extra in order to surf the net ad free

You're right but they're just pluggins. You can also use more secure browsers that have such things built in like certain versions of firefox. I just use IE at work with a pluggin and chrome with the same pluggin at home. Works like a charm even for Youtube vids.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Star n Flagged.... ATS is going down hill on roller skates but after reading this I have no choice but to try and install something in FF as the ad blocker does not help my ever depressing ATS experience. Bad enough for the Trolls that are joining who argue with a poster rather than debate the bate as it were.

Thank you for your post as I needed a shove to try something to improve ATS for me...

I have just added on PageTweak 1.0.5 from Firefox Add On Manager. So far so good.

Thanks for the shove.

All those posters above me who suggest generic blockers i.e. not telling us what you are using is just filler and internet slow down comments. To be a contributor IMHO one needs to tell us the product you are using that works.

In other words be part of the solution rather than adding comments that don't help.

I AM ALWAYS LOGGED IN and behind a FireBrick hardware firewall. I receive more than two noise making adverts!!!!!

So far PageTweak has worked. I am in the UK.
edit on 3/31/2014 by IceHappy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
If you're using Mac then give "little snitch" a try, it's an advanced firewall, it'll stop them all, and anything else that you are unaware of that's connecting unawares (and there are a lot of those) Customizable on the fly. On windows, it's doubtful such thing as a private browser exists. Tor might be an option, but there's drawbacks. Privacy is dead.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

th3onetruth
without four pop ups…

Pop-ups are limited to two in a 24 hour period, for non-members who are not logged-in.

and at least three random ads playing music or talking.

Auto-start audio/video ads, with no user-action, are negated in all ad networks running on ATS… and are regularly tested. I haven't had any in a long time.

There's a high probability that something else on your computer is causing pop-ups when you're logged-in. And, in addition, we have tracked auto-playing audio ads in the past to have been from an Australian Internet provider who hijacked our ad tags to display their own. It's possible that other ISP's are doing this.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

The strange thing to me is why would anyone make an add annoying instead of so interesting, sitting on the sidelines that you just have to look.

Are there really people out there that watch or enjoy the ads that pop on to your screen or videos that force you to look? I immediately HATE the product and company of the ones that are annoying and would never buy their product.

Really does anger and hostility sell? I have seen beautiful ads that are not annoying and have clicked on them...the other kind i simply close as fast as they will let me and if i note their product name i note it with hate!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

th3onetruth
I can't click on one god damned thing on this website anymore without four pop ups and at least three random ads playing music or talking. Clean your site up please.

That's funny. I'm here every day and I get ZERO pop-up ads. The only time I ever get a 'talking' ad is if I roll over the spot that says "Roll over for video." Funny how that works, too. If I don't roll over that spot--no video.

Perhaps it is you who needs to clean up your computer. It's not this site' it's YOU! But for Heaven's sake don't take responsibility for it. Just keep blaming other people for your own situation. Everyone else does.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Its you. Not this site. Your settings on your PC, your tablet, phone, laptop. You can choose these to be removed mostly here by clicking AD CHOICES.

If you think Im wrong? Go to the site on a home or school computer, then go right away to it on a phone or tablet etc....youll see the difference in what does or doesnt pop-upSettings!

Dont blame the site!

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
PS. I havent any popups here on my home PC, my laptop or my work comp or phone. Zero. Its you....

*Oh...Ive had 1 pop-up...once

(post by SummerLightning removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by IceHappy

I have removed PageTweak 1.0.5 as it got in the way of one of my other favourite site.

I have replaced it with Adblock Plus 2.5.1 for Firefox from Add ons. Works a treat.

I must say right now that I have been on the Internet since 1993 and have had no reason to block adverts until ATS got crazy with them. I have tolerated the adverts as I appreciate sites need to make money and this was a form of my paying back for their services. Again sorry for the Rant but supporting OP. After reading his Rant I too became fed up.

Thanking the web master of my other fav site for his recommendations and suggestion of the "Easy List" option.

Thanking the OP once again for getting me to get off my lazy butt to become proactive and would recommend him to use Adblock Plus as it has changed my viewing on ATS back to a more pleasurable experience.

ATS is important to me as I have left my country 30 years ago and refuse to pay TV Lic here in the UK now for a year. Its nice not to have TV that tends to allure me to TV News. I find BBC reports less news and slanted then ITV comes next. I used to watch Jon Snow on Channel 4 at 1900hrs GMT. Must say I don't miss the news and am grateful for my time back as I was watching BBC 1800hrs to 1830 (International n national news) then switch to ITV for 1830 (International n national news) to see what they reported that the BBC missed or slanted then on to Channel 4 at 1900hrs to 1945hrs again for (International n national news) which was amazingly different.

Thank you ATS tonight and last night for AMA with Jesse Ventura who also suggests people to turn off TV...

Lastly I want to thank our Members, Staff and Owners for ATS for which I would feel very lost without.

new topics

top topics

join