It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans will be kept between life and death in the first suspended animation trials

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

At a hospital in Pittsburgh, surgeons are now allowed to place patients into a state of suspended animation. If a patient arrives with a traumatic injury, and attempts to restart their heart have failed — if they’re on the doorstep of death — they will have their blood replaced with a cold saline solution, which stops almost all cellular activity. At this point, the patient is clinically dead — but if the doctors can fix the injury within a few hours, they can be returned to life from suspended animation by replacing the saline with blood.

Humans will be kept between life and death in the first suspended animation trials

This is wild that this will now be tried out on humans.
I will be very curious to see how and if it'll work and what sort of experience (if any) the patients may have while in a suspended state.

Where do we go from here? Suspended animation for months or maybe even years? Man this is some cool stuff.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

I wonder about the implications about this concerning long distance Space travel

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

*** ATTENTION ***

A news item is allowed to be posted in Breaking Alternative News, and one other forum. Please continue this thread, and do not reply to this message.

edit on 27-3-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

That is freaking cool...I love science!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I would quite like to be suspended for a hundred or so years actually. Perhaps over the next few decades, this infant technological road will grow to make such things possible...just go to sleep if your not well and wake up down the road once technology can easily sort your issues out...without the issues that current cryonic suspension gives (and the insane price)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

SaturnFX
I would quite like to be suspended for a hundred or so years actually. Perhaps over the next few decades, this infant technological road will grow to make such things possible...just go to sleep if your not well and wake up down the road once technology can easily sort your issues out...without the issues that current cryonic suspension gives (and the insane price)

But only one problem it might give people who choose to be suspended for a hundred years, culture shock.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I havent looked into to this to much so forgive me if its been mentioned in the article.

Cellular activity would include everything right? No aging, no processes that keep you alive and kill you. Thats mind boggling to think about lol. I would certainly be interested in being 'frozen' for about a century in hopes that society and humanity is much better than it is now. I would pay anything for that opportunity, unfortunately I am not rich

Thanks for posting, much appreciated

Just read the article, and the end really got my mind wandering as to the possibilities

not only for rich people trying to extend their lives, but for the possibly centuries-long journeys that our first interstellar explorers will embark upon.

Can not wait until this method is tested and refined, perfected if you will.
edit on 27-3-2014 by Anishnaabe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I'm not sure I'd like to be suspended for 100 years. I'd hate to be younger than my great grand kids! And I don't really have much hope that the human race will have learned to get along any better than they do now.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I wonder about the implications about this concerning long distance Space travel - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Totally waste of time, they must have their blood replenished back to condition within who twos hours. Two hours has no practical use whats so ever.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

starwarsisreal

SaturnFX

But only one problem it might give people who choose to be suspended for a hundred years, culture shock.

I think that would be part of the reason to do such a move. Short of mad max type environment, its bound to be quite an interesting experience.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
That's the kind of discoveries that makes your mind goes crazy. All the possibilities of this universe are simply beyond amazing.

Very cool stuff thanks for that.

For now, this process is only being used for cardiac arrests following traumatic injuries, but in the future Tisherman says he hopes to use the technique for other conditions as well. The other big question, of course, is whether this technique can be used to suspend animation for more than just a couple of hours. If I have my blood replaced with saline, and then use cryonics to cool my body down yet further, could I be “dead” for a few months or weeks or years before being warmed up again? If sci-fi has taught us anything, it’s that suspended animation (or stasis as it’s sometimes called) is one of the most potentially exciting technologies — not only for rich people trying to extend their lives, but for the possibly centuries-long journeys that our first interstellar explorers will embark upon.

What is it with science-fiction that it always seem to predict reality perfectly every time? Makes you wonder if those creating fantasy fiction universe aren't just aware of things we ordinary people simply don't know or don't want to know.
Maybe is it intuition, or premonition?

In the end, reality is stranger than fiction.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   
If you all take a step back for a minute, you will see what is really going on.

The hospital is not interested in keeping the bodies alive, they actually want to steal the blood of everyone about to die.

Just one final tax Sir?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Brain dead is still brain dead in 2 hours.
Its frankinsteinish and ghoulish .
No consent, this is not treatment for brain death its medical experimentation much like the poor institutionalized mentally ill people that got experimented on.
Its not suspended- its clinically dead.
They have not revived one human being using this experimentation/process (and when they traumatised the pigs the pigs were not declared brain dead ).

edit on 28-3-2014 by BDBinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
After your revived you'll wish that you were dead after recieve the hospital bill.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   

rupertg
After your revived you'll wish that you were dead after recieve the hospital bill.

Not if you are still brain dead.
Seriously they have not yet revived human beings after being brain dead using this process -but good joke.
edit on 28-3-2014 by BDBinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Have to say this is atleast a step in the right direction!

However the ability to suspend the human metabolism and dramatically slow the process of cell division for around only two hours will need to be scaled up somewhat before this can be considered to be true suspended animation considering people have been know to be pulled out of cold water after a similar time period and still be revived with no or little affect to there person. Then there is the issue of brain damage to consider, will the subjects ever regain consciousness again and be able to function normally.

Did the Nazis not conduct similar experiments such as this on prisoners of war/holocaust victims during World War Two?
edit on 28-3-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   

This is wild that this will now be tried out on humans. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

They've been doing this for a very long time to humans...and it works very well. It is called being placed on cardiovascular "bypass", such as when a cardiothoracic surgeon performs a heart transplant or open heart surgery. I can only assume that what they are describing here can allow for longer time limits to transplant an organ or even stop the growth of tumors, the advancement of certain diseases...the possibilities are endless. That is really very cool. S&F

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   

AthlonSavage

I wonder about the implications about this concerning long distance Space travel - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Totally waste of time, they must have their blood replenished back to condition within who twos hours. Two hours has no practical use whats so ever.

2 hours is a lot of time to close up a life threatening injury that they would otherwise have only moments to fix normally.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join