It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Intelligence Officials Believe Snowden Is Working With Russia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

A top congressional intelligence official said on Sunday that American counterintelligence officials are virtually unanimous in believing that Edward J. Snowden is “under the influence of Russian intelligence services.”

That suggestion came from Representative Mike Rogers, the Michigan Republican who is chairman of the Intelligence Committee.

So, do you think this needs moved to the Deconstructing Disinformation thread? Could this be true?

It could be possible. Russia might be trying to to turn us against our government, therefore creating a situation such as what happened in Ukraine.

OR,

They are just saying this to turn the people against snowden. They see him as a threat, and they don't want the people to see him as credible.

OR, (My personal favorite theory, although not the one I believe true)

Snowden is IN FACT, a Russian spy. Maybe intentionally, and maybe only after the fact when he was forced to flee the country.

Discuss. :-)

source is here - N.Y. Times

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by andr3w68

I suspect the US intelligence agencies will say terrible things about anyone who reveals details of their operations. I do not really believe them though (they can lie to congress and the public in the interest of national security).

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Snowden

Pop-Culture

Hero

US Gov

Traitor/criminal

ummm, he's been out of the loop now for a while, I wonder how many more of his 'Revelations' are still viably reliable.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

“under the influence of Russian intelligence services”

LOL.

Next thing you know the NSA will arrest you for being 'UIRI' (under the influence of russian intelligence).

Sounds a bit like something Obama signed off on.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by minusinfinity

HAHAHA! I know right. I can foresee it now.

I for one think that Snowden is only working with Russia as far as asylum goes.

The US gov. is pissed off that he is letting out all of their secrets, so they go and say something like this. They want us to fear big ole Russia and the BAD WOLF Putin. Leading us to a false fear that Russia is trying to cause a revolt here like in the Ukraine. Whats next? They accuse Putin of starting the revolution in Ukraine?!?

My rant is over :-)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I'm not a fan of Putin or Snowden. I think Snowden could have revealed the info. anonymously he was most likely looking to make a buck. Putin is well....

I appreciate what Snowden revealed I think he's just too much of a glory hound.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

American counterintelligence officials are virtually unanimous in believing that Edward J. Snowden is “under the influence of Russian intelligence services.”

Nawww...

Who would ever believe THAT ??

Wouldn't it be somthin' if Snowden's info is all planted BeeEss !!

Nahhhh.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
So now domestic spying is legit? Because the whistle blower is working with a propagated enemy?

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Elton

I suspect the US intelligence agencies will say terrible things about anyone who reveals details of their operations. I do not really believe them though (they can lie to congress and the public in the interest of national security).

I believe they lie to us and congress ,but not for National security but for their own security.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Or Snowden is going to turn and get info from the Russians so he can come home and be a hero on two fronts.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Could be, my favorite theory is that Snowden was working with the Russians the whole time.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If he stay there indefinitely, he may have done some insider trading.
But.. what does he really know anyway that the Russians own intel didn't know already?

Maybe nothing .

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
What tells us Snowden isn't a double spy

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The American Intelligence Agencies are spinning this they way they want us to believe it. they are spreading propaganda and of course this is an easy spin and Russia is appearing evil and alarming once again. It fits perfectly. The Sheep will believe what the American Intelligence agencies feed them.

The reality in my opinion, is that Snowden did act alone and in our countries best interests, and really had no where else to go that our Intelligence agencies couldn't get their hands on him and kill him.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Wow... Really? They're just coming up with this concept....and we actually pay these buffoons billions and call what they do intelligence???

My meme here rarely fits...but when it fits, OMG does it EVER fit.

Next they'll consider the possibility there was more than just Snowden, and not all 'went home'. That's for an advanced course tho... Only one new concept at a time with those guys.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Im a huge snowden fan but this has crossed my mind. Russia has been pretty bold and overly confident...sometimes I think...man did they just all of a sudden know that the usa is full of # or something? Because they dont seem to fear us in the slightest right now.

On the other side...if you were part of the US Gov its only natural to bad mouth Snowden and ...wait for it...wait for it....blame all your future problems on him. He is the perfect scapegoat if we lose anything....just be like "Well Snowden gave them info ...and that is why we lost ...."

We do not know for a fact either way..yet.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

It's not a surprise that our intelligence officials will say just about anything to turn public opinion against Snowden. Maybe if U.S. officials wouldn't have been so quick to condemn Snowden and offered him immunity in exchange for his testimony on the allegations of criminal surveillance, they wouldn't have to worry about what information may have been leaked to Russia.

Any person or government agency who has been caught doing illegal activities, would direct their guilt to the other party. It's only a common reaction of self preservation to avoid prosecution. They hope the more dirt that is thrown at Snowden, some will eventually stick.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

Im a huge snowden fan but this has crossed my mind. Russia has been pretty bold and overly confident...sometimes I think...man did they just all of a sudden know that the usa is full of # or something? Because they dont seem to fear us in the slightest right now.

Well...? Some guess and ponder that.... I guess I look back now and think I was a fool not to have seen it to accept much sooner. After all, while we were led to believe Snowden was chilling his heals in the airport pod hotel or whatever it was.....Moscow was doing something very very odd.

Russia's Federal Protective Service, the KGB's successor in charge of protecting President Vladimir Putin and his officials, placed an order for 20 typewriters, according to the state procurement website.

The agency, known by its Russian acronym FSO, is ready to pay £500 each for them, Kremlin-connected newspaper Izvestia reported.

It said the FSO believed it was necessary to expand the use of typewriters after American Edward Snowden reportedly used a simple flash drive to reveal the extent of the US government's phone and internet surveillance programmes.
Source

I suppose it's certainly possible they had a little inside info for why such a move would seem logical to them.

That must have been some demo he gave them.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Personally I don't think they would have let him stay unless he divulged something(s). The other benefit is whenever Snowden does divulge something the Russians get first peek.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
ya think Snowden got a "Free" passage to safety in Russia... no way.
edit on 23-3-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join