It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Du Pont heir accused of raping son in lawsuit, admits to raping his daughter and son...no jail time

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
If there was ever any doubt that there are 2 different legal systems in the US, one for the rich and one for the poor....doubt no more. If you are well connected and wealthy you can quite literally....get away with anything.

As you read this article....ask yourself if you think you would be able to get away with this.

Exerpts from the article...

WILMINGTON, Del. — A du Pont family heir who raped his 3-year-old daughter nearly a decade ago but received no prison time now faces a lawsuit from his former wife that accuses him of sexually abusing his toddler son.

Robert H. Richards IV, 47, who is supported by a trust fund and who paid $1.8 million for his 5,800-square-foot mansion near Winterthur Museum, pleaded guilty in 2008 to fourth-degree rape of his daughter. Currently on probation, he has never been charged with crimes against his son.

Richards is a scion of two prominent Delaware families — the du Pont family who built the chemical empire and the Richards family who co-founded the prestigious corporate law firm Richards Layton & Finger

Utilizing "his family's wealth and position in the community," Richards IV hired prominent Wilmington defense attorney Eugene J. Maurer Jr. and denied the charges, the lawsuit said. But after volunteering for and failing a polygraph examination, he admitted abusing his child, "then claimed that he was ill and that he needed medical treatment," the lawsuit said.

The revelations allegedly came while Richards was taking a lie detector test, ordered in an attempt to get Richards to be more forthcoming about his sexual history. Richards told the examiner he "was very concerned that something happened with his son but that he has repressed the memories,' " He told the examiner he worried that his acts were "similar to what happened with his daughter," the lawsuit said. "But he promised that whatever I did to my son, I will never do it again."

USA Today article...HERE

Yet another example of just how broken the US legal system is.

Words cannot adequately describe how angry and disgusted I am that this man walks free...if his own children weren't safe...how safe do you think your children would be with a monster like this?

edit on 20America/Chicagopm202014-03-20T14:27:33-05:00pmThursday03 by deadcalm because: (no reason given)

+30 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Hey, Du Pont invented TEFLON...Nothing will stick to this guy....

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Well, I don't know the details of this case, so won't debate it either way.
But in regards to the different legal systems based on "Caste", of this I have no doubt.
Good money = good lawyers. Good lawyers will do all sorts of jumping jacks to find loopholes, muddy the waters, and confuse the prosecution into simply giving a light plea bargain. meanwhile your local hobo who stole a loaf of bread will be going away for awhile.

I don't think the law is broken, but the system of law certainly needs a makeover. a bit less tolerant when there are multiple victims, a bit more tolerant towards crimes of necessity and "stupidity". Question is then, since we the people pay the salaries of state defence attorneys, should we demand better? Should instead of state defence, we simply give vouchers towards personal attorneys to all whom qualify? (thereby allowing the poor guy the same attorney as the rich guy)

The justice department sorta sucks...sadly, its the best we got for now.

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
This makes me nauseated. I don't care whose rich seed you are spawned from...IF YOU DO THE CRIME, YOU DO THE TIME.
Too bad vigilantism is against the law. Some are in desperate need of justice in it's oldest and purest form.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Well, I don't know the details of this case, so won't debate it either way.
reply to post by SaturnFX

Did you read the article? The details seemed pretty clear to me. The man has admittied to raping his daughter due to a lie detector test.....and under another lie detector test...he's clearly alluded to the fact that he did the same thing to his baby son.

Besides...there is little need for debate in this case as far as I'm concerned....this...piece of human excrement should be locked in the deepest, darkest hole we can find.

Afluenza is no excuse for this predatory behavior.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
remember the one dupont guy that got convicted of killing the wrestler? So their money doesnt always get them off.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

Its cases like this for which the concept of Vigilante Justice was conceived. Sure our justice system is a massive joke, but vigilantism skirts that issue nicely every time.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
People like this should be dealt with by the public I am sure there would a long ling of fathers who would love to have 5 min alone with this pervert . That is the lowest of all lowlifes to prey of children , then to get away with it is just wow . I do not think anyone should be held accountable if they get their hands on who did this to their kids. If someone ever did this to my kids there would probably not be a phone call to the cops well not made by me anyway

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This just disgusts me to the utmost. I hate reading about rich pricks who get away with rape, murder, embezzlement, and so on and so forth. When will things change?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

So their money doesnt always get them off.
reply to post by tinner07

Just goes to show how much the world has changed since then. I look at that as the exception rather than the rule.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

then to get away with it is just wow
reply to post by freedomSlave

I know right?

It's absolutely staggering that this man isn't in jail.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

When will things change?
reply to post by FeistyFemme

Soon I hope...all we can do is shout from the rooftops when things like this happen and make people aware of the problem.

When enough people....have seen enough stories like this....surely they will do something. If we don't....we're lost.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

edit on 20/3/14 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

The animal should be put down permanently, never mind jail. Creepy bastard makes my skin crawl!

Just goes to show $$$ can buy you anything including justice!

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I totally agree. This case reminds me of the rich teen that didn't receive jail time for driving drunk and killing four people. They even created a new psychiatric term to get this rich kid off...Affluenza! Any other working class family kid would have been thrown in jail. We do have two legal systems, one for haves and one for the haves not.

Afluenza Case

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

andy1972
Hey, Du Pont invented TEFLON...Nothing will stick to this guy....
. Outstanding!

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

AccessDenied
This makes me nauseated. I don't care whose rich seed you are spawned from...IF YOU DO THE CRIME, YOU DO THE TIME.
Too bad vigilantism is against the law. Some are in desperate need of justice in it's oldest and purest form.

Vigilantism was the first thing that sprang to mind for me too, lol.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

This case reminds me of the rich teen that didn't receive jail time for driving drunk and killing four people.
reply to post by WeRpeons

He also permanantly crippled two others in addition to the 4 he killed.

It is hard to know how many stories like this we need to see in order for people to get outraged.

Reminds me of this one also....

A Morgan Stanley wealth manager will not face felony charges for a hit-and-run because Colorado prosecutors don't want him to lose his job.

Martin Joel Erzinger, who manages more than $1 billion in assets for Morgan Stanley in Denver, is being accused only of a misdemeanor for allegedly driving his Mercedes into a cyclist and then fleeing the scene, Colorado's Vail Daily reports. The victim, Dr. Steven Milo, whom Erzinger allegedly hit in July, suffered spinal cord injuries, bleeding from his brain and, according to his lawyer Harold Haddon, "lifetime pain."

But District Attorney Mark Hurlbert says it wouldn't be wise to prosecute Erzinger -- doing so might hurt his source of income. Here's Vail Daily:

Full story....HERE

Well of course they wouldn't want to hurt his income....who cares about the guy he hit...a Doctor, a surgeon to be exact...that will never work again...or the fact that he fled the scene...arghhhh...I could just smash something when I read stories like this.

You and I both know that if this guy had have been flipping burgers at McDonalds he'd be in jail for the rest of his life.

edit on 20America/Chicagopm202014-03-20T16:15:48-05:00pmThursday03 by deadcalm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

WeRpeons

I totally agree. This case reminds me of the rich teen that didn't receive jail time for driving drunk and killing four people. They even created a new psychiatric term to get this rich kid off...Affluenza! Any other working class family kid would have been thrown in jail. We do have two legal systems, one for haves and one for the haves not.

Afluenza Case

No, its all the same system, but its an inherently twisted and corrupt one. oft times it comes down to who has the most money, simply because you can buy a better lawyer. Our system makes me sick. Even if its plain obvious that you committed a crime, its still possible to walk away a free man if your lawyer can find a loophole, or even those "deals" they strike with the ones who provide testimony.
The lawyer didn't come up with the term, but rather used an existing one, albeit one from [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affluenza]consumerism.
edit on 20-3-2014 by LucidWarrior because: grammar

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

WOW! I never heard of that case. That's outrageous! Since when do courts care about a criminal losing their job? Where is the outrage from the locals and the national media?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join