It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine to withdraw troops

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Well wat u think ats interesting to say the least... m.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
i think your links dead

(edit) it works now

edit on 19-3-2014 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Try this:

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Yep dead link!

2nd

ETA: Second link works,thanks
edit on 3/19/2014 by Kukri because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Well, I have no idea what these soldiers are going to do.

They will probably not be allowed to join the Russian army, but these people have houses in Crimea and families and so what are they to do?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

CALGARIAN
Well, I have no idea what these soldiers are going to do.

They will probably not be allowed to join the Russian army, but these people have houses in Crimea and families and so what are they to do?

They can 1) join the Russian army, or, 2) leave the army and still live in Crimea, or, 3) leave Crimea and go back to Ukraine with safe passage.

Russia told them that was the choices, they were made clear to them and those choices are reasonable.

edit on 19-3-2014 by bubab because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This really isn't surprising. The Ukrainian troops weren't there to invade Crimea, they were there because some of them lived there. The bases were Ukrainian until Russia took them over. It would be insanity for them to stick around and try to take over the 30k+ Russian troops there.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kukri

The second link works just fine.

This shouldnt be a shock, as it was bound to happen. Lets just hope that it remains peaceful and people are alowed to leave back to Ukraine.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Sorry first try at this using my mobile

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
All of this could have been avoided if the meddling US had not put a wedge in the region .The elections in May might have resolved the issues within the Ukraine .As it stands the new Govt. will have to do some serious work to gain the confidence of the rest of the population or risk even more problems ...peace

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Hello i felt i had to join to ask this one question --

Why have Ukraine allowed themselves to be pushed around,
i know Russia are the bigger military force, but we have never ever in human history seen such cowardice by a country in the face of invaders, never.

They are like wimps, in the corner, running away from any kind of conflict.

I mean they lose the Crimea without firing a shot, and now they are withdrawing their military from there.

They have even had some of their commanders kidnapped, and even had a soldier killed, yet nothing.. they are almost the ned flanders of the simpsons, the person that no matter what you do to him will say okely dokely with a smile on his face.

Fast loosing respect for Ukraine, if invasion.. deaths.. kidnappings are not enough reason for it to stand up for itself and take some sort of military action, then it truly should be ashamed of itself.
edit on 19-3-2014 by eliuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

Yes it's to be expectedandit's going to be messy, let us hope it isn't violent and messy.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

Well, lets look at it this way. Ukraine has absolutely no chance of fighting Russia back. The people living in the area (Crimea) wanted to become a part of Russia.

They were dealing not only with Russian troops, but also the people of the area revolting. In my opinion, the only option was to allow Crimea to join Russia.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

andr3w68
reply to post by eliuk

Well, lets look at it this way. Ukraine has absolutely no chance of fighting Russia back. The people living in the area (Crimea) wanted to become a part of Russia.

They were dealing not only with Russian troops, but also the people of the area revolting. In my opinion, the only option was to allow Crimea to join Russia.

I know, but to just give up without a whimper, its just pretty much ridiculous

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
From the OP article:

Meanwhile, shocking footage has emerged of MPs from Ukraine's far-right Svoboda party roughing up Oleksandr Panteleymonov, the acting chief executive of the state broadcaster, over his decision to broadcast the treaty ceremony in the Kremlin.

Footage of that is in the first link below and honestly, the executive looks like he's about to pee his pants. Can't blame him and the guy doing it is a member of the Ukrainian parliament for the Svoboda party. I think Ukraine is right to withdraw and should probably focus on the issues occurring within its own borders. This isn't the first footage I've seen of Svoboda strong arming but it's the first time I've seen it on a US news source. I'd not want to be in Ukraine right now.

www.nbcnews.com...
www.channel4.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

They really have got no real choice!

Not that I agree with the gangster Putin in any way..
but why throw away young mens lives needlessly.

They didn't/don't stand a chance.

East to say from the sidelines to lift up arms, but unless
you are there with a rifle you can't really advocate others
to go die an "Honorable" and pointless Death.

Bring it home and then examine the details... see if you still think the same.
edit on Wed, 19 Mar 2014 18:02:46 -0500026America/ChicagoWednesday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

WhiteAlice
From the OP article:

Meanwhile, shocking footage has emerged of MPs from Ukraine's far-right Svoboda party roughing up Oleksandr Panteleymonov, the acting chief executive of the state broadcaster, over his decision to broadcast the treaty ceremony in the Kremlin.

Footage of that is in the first link below and honestly, the executive looks like he's about to pee his pants. Can't blame him and the guy doing it is a member of the Ukrainian parliament for the Svoboda party. I think Ukraine is right to withdraw and should probably focus on the issues occurring within its own borders. This isn't the first footage I've seen of Svoboda strong arming but it's the first time I've seen it on a US news source. I'd not want to be in Ukraine right now.

www.nbcnews.com...
www.channel4.com...

So you are saying that Ukraine should just accept its losses, leave Crimea and move on?
and like a coward do nothing militarily and just let itself be pushed around.

Russians i fear are like the arab nations they arent happy with a bit of land, they want more and more

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

rigel4
reply to post by eliuk

but why through away young mens lives needlessly.

Sigh, i suppose the movie in me wants to see groups of Ukraine soldiers ambushing Russian tanks.. i have always, loved the underdog against the big power type movies such as zulu, and i really would have loved to see Ukraine give Russia a real pounding even if it does result eventually in a loss.

I mean come on, throughout history the small has always risen up against the big, and often suceeded.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of the situation and just considering practical politics; the most optimistic scenario that seems to be possible is a peacefully negotiated partition.
Hopefully this move keeps things on track towards that result.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

eliuk

rigel4
reply to post by eliuk

but why through away young mens lives needlessly.

Sigh, i suppose the movie in me wants to see groups of Ukraine soldiers ambushing Russian tanks.. i have always, loved the underdog against the big power type movies such as zulu, and i really would have loved to see Ukraine give Russia a real pounding even if it does result eventually in a loss.

I mean come on, throughout history the small has always risen up against the big, and often suceeded.

I think the same in many ways..but as well as what i have posted above,
to take up arms against Russia at this point is simply giving them Ukraine on a plate.

They would charge right up to the Polish borders and never ever leave again.
So doing nothing is actually making it a lot harder for Putin.

That's what Russia does/has always done, and that's the huge difference between Russia and the United States.
The USA doesn't imprison countries in the same way as Mother Russia does.

No.. Ukraine needs to settle down elect a stable government and quietly go about becoming a truly Independent Nation.
Time will ultimately tell If the Land grab by Russia is a rejoining or a more sinister expansionism policy which ultimately
will end in a conflict with the West.. we shall see.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join