It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easy Peasy Homemade Ice Cream to Die For

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Chance321
I have not tried it with the maple flavoring and walnuts. I'm sure any flavor you want can be used in it and the addition of solid pieces such a walnuts would work. I would stir the walnuts in after mixing. I also use a light whipping cream, can't remember if I posted that in the OP. Enjoy!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: 2manyholes
a reply to: InTheLight
Thanks for sharing the video for your recipe, sounds yummy also. It looks to be more like Ice milk than ice cream, but I bet it's very refreshing. Where can I find guar gum, in a health food store?
I love almond milk, I'm looking forward to trying it.

Well, if the rich fattening ice cream is a rare treat, then I say go for it.

I actually prefer ice milk, sherbert, or a frozen yougurt to rich ice cream. As for guar gum, the more I read about it the more my unhealthy product antennae go up. So, I would substitute cornstarch for guar gum using the measuring ratios from the recipe below (with ice cream maker), substitute stevia (no calories) for sugar, and the almond milk and low fat condensed milk for the cream.

www.nytimes.com...

Making ice cream without an ice cream maker:

www.motherearthnews.com...

If you have an ice cream machine, good for you! Just pour the mixture into it and let the machine do all the work. If you don’t, pour the mixture onto a cookie sheet and freeze until set. Break it up and blend in the food processor until smooth. Freeze and blend again for an ultra smooth consistency.

What is stevia?

www.livescience.com...
edit on 10-7-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-7-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: 2manyholes

I read this and went to the store. No clue if I did it right but I will find out in the morning sometime. I didn't have any liquor exactly. ....so i cut down the amount used and just threw a spoon full of some Kentucky shine I've had put up for winter. It tasted fantastic before it went in the freezer though.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
So after I made it I went back and read the whole thread. I didn't get it to soft peak according to the photo posted. How long do you have to blend to get it there? Just going to let this batch freeze anyway and try again.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: drivers1492

I use a kitchenaid mixer and it takes awhile. 7ish minutes on mid high setting. If you are using a hand blender, I would assume it would take longer. A whisk attachment works best. The "set" is probably the only thing affected by not whipping to soft peak.

Hope you enjoy it.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815

Thanks I will spend more time mixing. I have a little hand mixer so I suppose I will sit at the table next time so I can sit.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Soft peak would be when you lift the beaters up out of the cream the peak will make soft curl. Beating the whip cream will add air to the mixture which will make it light and creamy. If you didn't beat to soft peak, then it will just be more dense.

A trick when whipping cream or egg whites is to make sure the cream or egg whites are very cold, also chill the bowl and beaters first this will speed up the process. Don't worry if it doesn't come out just right, thats just a good reason to make a second batch. Enjoy!

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Thanks for the tips, I will do mo' betta in the future. It's thick this morning but its good, no sure the shine was the best choice though perhaps a little less or if I get to the store(dry county here) I'm going to try something else. I have a question though. If I'm going to get whipping cream and then spend the time to make it fluffy wouldnt just buying whip cream save the trouble of the whipping? Think I will try that too since I'm mildly lazy and it would save a step. The stuff is good though I'm glad you shared it. I will post the results of my next two experiments using actual whip cream.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
LOL great minds think alike. I wondered the same thing about using ready made whipped cream, but haven't tried it. If you do please be sure to let me know how it turns out. Who knows maybe you'll discover how to make this yummy recipe even more easier than it is.

The "shine" should work,it's the alcohol that keeps it from forming ice crystals. I am assuming when you say shine you mean "moonshine" maybe use less of it then what the recipe calls for. Not much of a drinker anymore but doesn't moonshine have a very high alcohol content, which may keep the ice cream from freezing properly? Anyways, glad you're enjoying it!

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Yeah the alcohol content in what I have would be considered "high". I almost never drink anymore but I keep a pint for when I'm working with the cows in winter. There is an old timer over in Kentucky that makes it the old school way it's honestly by far the best I have ever come across. I only used half of what was in the ingredient list but I'm going cut that in half in the next batch. Will most likely get out this evening to get the stuff for another try and I am going to use whip cream just to see what happens.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
S&F

This recipe sounds very easy to make and perfect for a hot summer day.
Thanks for taking your time to type this up.

I will definitely give it a try.
Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I just sent this thread to some friends.....summer is ice cream time....maybe they'll come up with new variations, which I'll gladly share here...

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I'm saving this for the grandchildren - thanks a bunch!

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Having family to dinner next week will give this a go , sounds great.
illece

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: illece

Your family will love it. I have yet to have anyone say it's anything but divine, yummy and addicting. Hope you enjoy it and have a great holiday!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join