It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China says military will respond to provocations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
....and in other news...

China announced today that they will be expanding their military spending to meet new potential threats. This, coming on the heels of the terrorist attack on a domestic train station that was overshadowed by the same days headlines regarding the Ukraine.

BEIJING (AP) — China's military is prepared to respond to all threats to the country's sovereignty, a government spokeswoman said Tuesday, ahead of the expected announcement of another big bump in defense spending.

Legislative spokeswoman Fu Ying said China supports resolving disputes through negotiations and its 2.3 million-member People's Liberation Army — the world's largest — is for defensive purposes only.

The Russian Federation and People's Republic of China openly and very actively increase their defense commitment at the same time we cut ours. We cut in the worst spots, while leaving enough pork to make a pig feel at home...while I'll bet the increase in comparable spending by Russia and China is far more focused and narrow.

"The point of this response, is to, on the one hand, maintain China's territory and sovereignty, and on the other hand to maintain the regional order and peace," Fu said.

Other countries should take China's sovereignty claims seriously if they truly care about regional peace and security, she said, singling out the United States by name.
Associated Press

Just in case anyone thought they meant someone ELSE....they were sure to be specific. (sigh)

Another day in the neighborhood and isn't life grand?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Ya i almost posted this..I just mentioned in another thread that some things to watch for would be China doing just this....of course its all a bunch of talk and stuff but the fact is...for the game to escalate...you need China. What perfect time to take advantage of the world.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

We cut in the worst spots, while leaving enough pork to make a pig feel at home...while I'll bet the increase in comparable spending by Russia and China is far more focused and narrow.

The US spending cuts in the military are not going to hurt our ability to fight a war one bit. We can drone bomb the crap out of just about anything. 7000+ drones in the US inventory and growing. It makes the need for tanks and many other field artillery pieces somewhat obsolete. These days we could invade a Country and bomb it to oblivion without the pilots ever leaving the USA. Cyber warfare also reduces the need for boots on the ground.

All in all the USA can operate with a new and smaller but "smart" military.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Yes... the United States has been moving to a high tech, high toy military for a couple decades...while others are MUCH slower to singularly narrow their options and make such a glaring vulnerability to their own ability.

Indeed... Our cuts won't hurt us...for those looking for push button murder in future wars as opposed to fighting enemy soldiers. When it's all about simply erasing warm bodies like scores off a chart with 0 risk to anything on our own side? It's not fighting or war...it's mass murder. That seems to be the "future" some of our leaders dream of...and are cutting our military to shape our future into.

I do hope they fail...utterly and spectacularly...but not in a way that causes defeat or harm to our nation. While we focus on push button wizardry in modern electronics that must all work right to work at all.....our enemies work even harder on how to simply break 1 piece of those sophisticated toys. One subsystem...just one...and a billion dollar bomber becomes a hangar queen. Such is the fundamental and core difference in war fighting as well as approach between East and West, as it's been for at least 60 years.

We've just gotten totally absurd with it.....but as China reminds us...we're not acting in isolation and others ARE watching with their own intentions.
edit on 4-3-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
China has several security problems but the US aint one , other than Obama stirring the pot by hosting a meeting with the Dalai Lama China and the US are on better terms now than ever.

I don't see any quote in the AP report where she was singling out the United States by name and think here remarks about China's sovereignty were aimed at Japan.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

The American government better smarten up. 2 power house eastern countries are pissed off at the us government, Every move the Us government/military makes will be close watched and answered by either one. This is not looking good folks....

All I can say is that Im glad I am Canadian, for if I was American I would be getting pretty nervous right about now.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

If I were Taiwan, I'd be very nervous right about now.

Though I'm sure if China "reclaimed" Taiwan, Obama would give one heck of a stern speech, perhaps even a finger wag and a frown.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

gortex
China has several security problems but the US aint one , other than Obama stirring the pot by hosting a meeting with the Dalai Lama China and the US are on better terms now than ever.

I don't see any quote in the AP report where she was singling out the United States by name and think here remarks about China's sovereignty were aimed at Japan.

okay, you realize the Associated Press is a news collection and distribution agency that does many of the interviews and field work personally to relay (for a price) to other new organizations, right?

Other countries should take China's sovereignty claims seriously if they truly care about regional peace and security, she said, singling out the United States by name.

That is from the OP and from the Associated Press written copy. Their interview covered more then the spoken words that are specifically quoted and it's an article...not a transcript. They are absolutely clear about what nation is being referred to...and Japan is one which doesn't get mention beyond a context paragraph at the end, by the reporter writing the piece.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

beezzer

Though I'm sure if China "reclaimed" Taiwan, Obama would give one heck of a stern speech, perhaps even a finger wag and a frown.

Preach!

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I really wonder how we (USA) can cut military funding now?!

I would imagine over the next few weeks that changes, or at least I hope it does.
edit on 4-3-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Meh... let both of them spend like drunken sailors. The more the better. hell, let's sell them some of our excess stuff. Anything we can do to accelerate their inevitable fall into bankruptcy we be good. Doesn't matter whether governments are spending money on exotic zoo animals, gold plated toilets or tanks. Sooner or later the people are going to get pissed and rip things up. How many countries does this have to happen in before the brilliant minds at the top 'get it'?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

beezzer

as well as the Philippines, Japan, India and pretty much EVERY country anywhere around China. since China likes to illegally claim land everywhere, based on reasoning like "it's in the "south CHINA sea and so we "own it"". or "we "owned" it centuries ago".

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

okay, you realize the Associated Press is a news collection and distribution agency that does many of the interviews and field work personally to relay (for a price) to other new organizations, right?

Yes I do.

They are absolutely clear about what nation is being referred to

Yet they couldn't quote the part where she mentioned the US by name although they state she did ...why ?
If someone is reported as saying something I would like an in context quote before believing what I'm told by a news agency.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I tend to think of killing as killing.
Regardless of the method, push button, trigger, in the room, outside the room watching on a live feed, hedgemaze, rube goldberg machine, etc.
Honor is something we use as a defense mechanism, so we don't feel so bad about committing murder. We gotta rationalize it some how.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

You are more than welcome to contact the Associated Press bureau which directly handled this. I'm guessing one of their China offices, and maybe Beijing, given the news item and person being quoted. I'm not kidding..BTW..You really can call these locations and ask them directly. They do answer, too.

Fu told a wide-ranging news conference on the eve of the legislature's annual session.

This probably had other media covering it with other things quoted specific and verbatim vs. the standard practice of reference to additional quotes where writing an article to cover a lengthy press conference has to be done in a way that comes shorter than the conference itself...hence paraphrased quotes.

Please let us all know if you're able to track down the word for word on this though. I'd be curious... Until then, I take the credibility of AP and their absolute need to maintain that for business reasons over any motive to make up a country name in a story like this.

That's just me, perhaps.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

SLAYER69
reply to post by beezzer

You could shrink it by half and it wouldn't hurt the defense of the US mainland.

What it does mean us that US allies would have to shoulder a bigger burden protecting ourselves. USA would still play a role but us in the EU and Asia would have to man up and shoulder our burden And quite frankly that's how it should be. WW2 UK provided a equal amount in fighting the NAZIs and did our part without fault. In WW3 the USA and its taxpayer will be the one providing 90% of the UK defence and that's just not right. We should be taking a bigger role.

Quite frankly the EU and Asian country's have got lazy relying on US help.

edit on 4-3-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Please let us all know if you're able to track down the word for word on this though. I'd be curious...

I have been looking but have found no reference to what the AP alleged , most other sources are reporting that China and Ms Fu Ying are putting out conciliatory messages like this .

Commenting on the U.S. pivot to Asia, Fu said although the U.S. had repeatedly stress that it does not have a specific strategy to contain China and that it had not target China, "we still have to see whether its words match its deeds."

"It is my understanding that both China and the U.S. are willing to expand cooperation, and we sincerely hope that interactions between China and the U.S. in Asia are cooperation-oriented on a general term," she said.
The second session of the 12th National People's Congress will convene on Wednesday.
Peace can only be preserved with strength: NPC spokeswoman

edit on 4-3-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Now that Putin has the world stage the Chinese seem to be crying out to be noticed. I mean what good is 2.3 million military personal without thinking someone is shaking in there boots.
edit on 4-3-2014 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Battleline
Now that Putin has the world stage the Chinese seem to be crying out to be noticed. I mean what good is 2.3 million military personal without thinking someone is shaking in there boots.
edit on 4-3-2014 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

This should get their attention....

RUSSIA TEST-FIRES INTERCONTINENTAL BALLISTIC MISSILE - RIA CITES DEFENCE MINISTRY

Tue Mar 4, 2014 6:54pm GMT
uk.reuters.com...

www.trust.org...

The game is shifting.

Des

top topics

<<   2 >>

join