It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Years a Slave to be part of US national curriculum

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

The National School Boards Association has made the film's viewing mandatory in all public (state-run) high schools. It will also provide children with copies of the 1853 memoir by Solomon Northup which formed the basis of the biopic and a study guide. The board has partnered with the American talk show host Montel Williams, distributor New Regency and publisher Penguin Books for the project, according to Variety.

"When Hollywood is at its best, the power of the movies can be harnessed into a powerful educational tool," Williams said in a statement. "This film uniquely highlights a shameful period in American history, and in doing so will evoke in students a desire to not repeat the evils of the past while inspiring them to dream big of a better and brighter future."

www.theguardian.com...

Having seen the movie, personally I find it a positive decision. Movies, especially movies like that, can be very powerful education tools and in this particular case, it is definitely a justified decision in my eyes.
edit on 2-3-2014 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

The National School Boards Association has made the film's viewing mandatory in all public (state-run) high schools.

Interesting.
I didn't know the NSBA had that authority. Oh, it doesn't. Never mind. Seems like they're just distributing copies. Don't see much about mandatory viewing.

Others had the same idea. Now, the National School Boards Association, partnering with the filmmakers, Penguin Books and New Regency, are planning to distribute copies of the film, the memoir and a study guide to public high schools across the country.

The distribution initiative is being coordinated by Montel Williams, who is a celebrity spokesman for the school boards association’s new Stand Up 4 Public Schools, and will start this fall.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You guys realize that Montel is stoned in perpetuity, right?

He was usually wrong during his syndicated show, his infomercials aren't helping either, as if there was a difference.

I guess I'd buy it for a dollar.

Maybe a lazy debunk, but he is probably just going through the motions anymore, and I like Montel.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Liberal nonsense - black slavery is going on today in Africa as well as white & asian sex trafficking around the world today not 150 years ago...last time i checked all the plantation owners are dead.

I dunno will Jesse Jackson get another Budweiser Distributorship out of this deal...that's what he usually extorts for.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
More slaves now than at any other time in history

There are more people in slavery today than at any time in human history. The best estimate, according to the U.S. State Department, is 27 million, and that does not include bonded labour. This is more than double the total taken from West Africa during the transatlantic slave trade in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. However, in percentage terms, it is smaller than the African slave trade — with today’s massive global economy it has become only a tiny fraction of the whole.

Slaves Today

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

BABYBULL24
More slaves now than at any other time in history

There are more people in slavery today than at any time in human history. The best estimate, according to the U.S. State Department, is 27 million, and that does not include bonded labour. This is more than double the total taken from West Africa during the transatlantic slave trade in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. However, in percentage terms, it is smaller than the African slave trade — with today’s massive global economy it has become only a tiny fraction of the whole.

Slaves Today

And nobody mentioned indentured slaves, all of those debt slaves working for their death note (mortgage) or their LC's or credit cards? I wonder how many indentured slaves there are, probably more than a billion.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   

dfens
reply to post by Phage

You guys realize that Montel is stoned in perpetuity, right?

Is Montel on high THC or high CBD medicine for his MS? Because the high CBD stuff is not high inducing; it actually blocks the THC from having a psychoactive effect.

In fact I'm waiting on when Mitt Romney will get some for the Missus. Should make an interesting discussion in their Mormon circles for when the dancing horse ceases to be therapeutical enough.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
It is always a good thing when Government propaganda films are forced upon our children.

After all, these tactics worked well for the Nazis and will assist in turning the public school system into the federally funded 're-education' camps envisioned by the liberal elite.

edit on 2014/3/2 by Metallicus because: clarity

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

How is this a government propaganda film. Just because it deals with issues you'd rather forget ever happened in your country. It promotes the desire for freedom, surely something that should be ingrained in all our youngsters minds?

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Phage
reply to post by Cabin

The National School Boards Association has made the film's viewing mandatory in all public (state-run) high schools.

Interesting.
I didn't know the NSBA had that authority. Oh, it doesn't. Never mind. Seems like they're just distributing copies. Don't see much about mandatory viewing.

The film being good, is also not quite accurate. Written through a single mans eyes, and then "filmed" by the descendants of the slave traders ... is hardly a recipe for truth and accuracy.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

woodwardjnr
reply to post by Metallicus

How is this a government propaganda film. Just because it deals with issues you'd rather forget ever happened in your country. It promotes the desire for freedom, surely something that should be ingrained in all our youngsters minds?

You put words in my mouth that I never spoke. Please don't presume to speak for me.

My desire for freedom is from Federal control of our schools through Common Core and other manipulation. There is a huge list of crimes for which America is guilty and I am much more concerned with the tyranny of today than I am in some distant past before I was born or my ancestors even arrived in this country. I am not against the book or movie or even that they are used in school, but against a forced Federal curriculum, PC culture and liberal narratives.

ETA: I only read the book and haven't seen the movie, however I will assume they are similar. In My opinion the book does nothing to add context to modern day challenges to liberty which are much more covert and subtle.
edit on 2014/3/2 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Slavery has been around for thousands of years and is still around today. Yet only white Americans that had nothing to do with it should feel guilty.. Sounds about right.

Do you think they feel guilty about selling their own people?

The Transatlantic slave trade peaked in the late 18th century, when the largest number of slaves were captured on raiding expeditions into the interior of West Africa. These expeditions were typically carried out by African kingdoms, such as the Oyo empire (Yoruba), the Ashanti Empire,[120] the kingdom of Dahomey,[121] and the Aro Confederacy.[122] Europeans rarely entered the interior of Africa, due to fierce African resistance. The slaves were brought to coastal outposts where they were traded for goods. A significant portion of African Americans in North America are descended from Mandinka people.[123] Through a series of conflicts, primarily with the Fulani Jihad States, about half of the Senegambian Mandinka were converted to Islam while as many as a third were sold into slavery to the Americas through capture in conflict.[123]
edit on 2-3-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: (no reason given)

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 2-3-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: Added link

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

bjarneorn

Phage
reply to post by Cabin

Interesting.

The film being good, is also not quite accurate. Written through a single mans eyes, and then "filmed" by the descendants of the slave traders ... is hardly a recipe for truth and accuracy.

So what if it was filmed by the descendants of slave traders? Should they be punished for something their ancestors did? If you look back through your families history are they clean of any kind of sin?

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

buster2010

bjarneorn

Phage
reply to post by Cabin

Interesting.

So what if it was filmed by the descendants of slave traders? Should they be punished for something their ancestors did? If you look back through your families history are they clean of any kind of sin?

You are absolutely right! No one should feel guilty for anything their ancestors did. Yet the schools are still trying to make my kid feel guilty about the sins of her ancestors.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71

buster2010

bjarneorn

Phage
reply to post by Cabin

Interesting.

You are absolutely right! No one should feel guilty for anything their ancestors did.

The problem you have with that statement is, the foundations of The U.S. were built upon the backs of slaves.
Anything that is built upon rocky ground has a potentiality of falling apart.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
So tired of slave movies, what can you do after ROOTS and Amistad?

How about a movie about those black buffalo soldiers that maintained the buffer between the US and Native American states? Or how about the large percentage of US Marshals that were black, I'd like to see a movie about them.

Now, we got 12 years a slave and Captain Ron.

*sigh*

If you want to educated yourself about slavery, then folks should read some slave narratives.
edit on 2-3-2014 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

alldaylong

Hoosierdaddy71

buster2010

bjarneorn

Phage
reply to post by Cabin

Interesting.

You are absolutely right! No one should feel guilty for anything their ancestors did.

The problem you have with that statement is, the foundations of The U.S. were built upon the backs of slaves.
Anything that is built upon rocky ground has a potentiality of falling apart.

Every culture was built on the backs of slaves, the US didn't invent slavery.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Show me a society that didn't use slaves.

edit on 2-3-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

cenpuppie
So tired of slave movies, what can you do after ROOTS and Amistad?
Now, we got 12 years a slave and Captain Ron.
*sigh*
If you want to educated yourself about slavery, then folks should read some slave narratives

One thing that is never brought up, is that there was a conscience effort to put forth reparations. Before it was even fashionable to do so.

Liberia is the only country in Africa founded by United States colonization while occupied by native Africans. Beginning in 1820, the region was colonized by African Americans from the United States, most of whom were freed slaves

America is a bully

I love being enslaved as much as the next guy, I just get sore that I missed my 40 acres and a mule, much less my own country.

Our founding fathers were certainly butt heads, huh?

edit on 2-3-2014 by dfens because: respect

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I thought that would happen, in our school system Roots is shown every year to students.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Is it because it is culturally relevant or is it because it is a very long mini-series that prevents interaction and promotes agenda?

I personally don't know any slave owners. Do you? Do they keep a certain stock that they like?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join