It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latin American Communities Fight to Protect Heirloom Seeds From Monsanto

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+135 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Latin American Communities Fight to Protect Heirloom Seeds From Monsanto

www.wakingtimes.com

In small Latin American countries, such as Guatemala, Costa Rica and Nicaragua, most farmers do not know the pros and cons of using genetically-modified organisms (GMOs). Many do not even know what GMO means. But Monsanto is changing all of this with an aggressive strategy to expand internationally, threatening many varieties of natural corn seed available throughout this region.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related Threads

France Tells Monsanto to Get Lost

France Maintains Key Ban on Monsanto's GMO Maize Crops

Monsanto's Fading Grasp Group Calls on South Africa to Ban GMO

Poland Joins Ranks of Grassroots Anti-Monsanto Activism

GMO Crops Require More Pesticides, Create Resistant Insects
edit on 3/12/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

+98 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Central America is waking up to the dangers and failures of Monsanto's GMO crops. They are using unproven claims and outright lies to push their product on unsuspecting farmers.

Monsanto's first quarter profits for 2013 have nearly trippled and they are aiming for more.

Despite growing concern and questions from the global public, Monsanto, the largest global GMO seed supplier and agro-chemical company, continues the relentless expansion towards a global seed oligopoly. Monsanto’s first quarter 2013 profits nearly tripled due to the sales of its GMO corn seed in Latin America, as reported by the company.

Monsanto’s deep pockets easily sway government officials in its favor, although, most officials know nothing about GMO and their potential dangers. Unsuspecting farmers are sold on the promise that genetically-engineered crops produce higher yields and repel bugs, although, farmers in North America, where GMO crops have been grown for over 15 years, are questioning the validity of these promises. For example, one of the biggest problems reported in the US has been GM seed resistance developed by bugs, which have evolved to survive harsh GM crops and now require more pesticides than ever. (source)

Concerned citizens in Costa Rica, faced with the national government’s decision to allow Monsanto subsidiary, DPL Semillas, to grow GMO corn in the country for seed export, have spent the week of March 4-10 helping to educate the public about the importance of protecting natural heirloom seeds. Over the last couple of months, local communities have been voting on the GMO issue in their county governments – the municipalities – deciding whether to ban the growth of GMO corn in their counties. As of early March, 46 out of 81 municipalities in the country have banned the growth of GMO corn.

Due to the strong opposition from municipalities, as well as universities, Ministry of Culture, agricultural schools, indigenous tribes, and local farmers, the national decision to allow Monsanto to enter Costa Rica is currently suspended and awaits further debate to determine if such a decision is constitutional.

Way to go Central America!

Now only if North American farmers and companies were able to say no to Monsanto, regrettably our policy makers are in Monsanto's back pockets so they will never allow this to happen unless we demand drastic changes.

www.wakingtimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Wow!

Nineteen flags and zero replies?

I have never seen that before...please feel free to share your thoughts on this issue.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Monsanto = pure evil
When the hell will we jump on this bandwagon?! Personally I've made my first attempt to grow organic food, it's not easy and have had a couple duds but the feeling of eating something you've cultivated yourself is incredible. You can even grow a garden out of containers now a days right on your balcony but if people are too lazy/busy then at least support the growth of the Organic market. Costs a bit more, sure, but worth every damn cent.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RooskiZombi

I agree that Monsanto is pure evil and I do have some organic markets to choose from during certain seasons but it's very expensive during the winter due to my location.

Regrettably I am stuck in the matrix and work in an office all day and don't have the time or space to grow enough produce to sustain myself so I am at the mercy of those who are able to grow these products. I hate eating GMO and eliminate it as much as possible, but almost everything has GMO ingredients so it's difficult to avoid it.

I would love to be able to grow my own produce though if my lifestyle allowed it, it would require some major lifestyle changes in order to do so but it would totally be worth it in the long run.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
Wow!

I have never seen that before...please feel free to share your thoughts on this issue.

Happens to me all the time. Its hard to make a good comment on a good news thread besides "good news" or "thanks, S&F".

Most people want to avoid annoying minimal posts so we just star the thread. Its a shame because a lot of the best threads fall off the recent posts page and lots of people miss the good stuff.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It's great to see people waking up to this menace. That's great that they have banned GMO's all together!

We do have quite a few good companies in the States that are working hard every year to keep the heirloom food varieties alive. Check it out, any money spent to support these companies will also further their ability to continue the good work they are doing. We have other viable options to stay away from Monsanto in our gardens.

The more people realize that we have other options the more viable those options become.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Your hypothesis makes sense

There are various times where I enjoy the news shared in the OP but have nothing to say other than "this is great news...S+F" so I usually just star and flag.

In everyone's defense as for why they rather not post, this topic has been discussed countles times on ATS but I always like to share new incidents of Monsanto being exposed for the type of corporation they really are.

It seems everyone except North America are actually doing something about this issue.

I think it's because we all feel helpless due to the stranglehold Monsanto has on our policy makers as I previously mentioned.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Every little bit counts
No matter how bleak it looks, we are still on the right side of this war, and we must always continue to fight the good fight...

I've probably flagged more of your threads than anyone else in the last several months, despite almost never replying. But it takes both flags AND replies to make it to the front page - so maybe we all should stop being so timid, and let loose all the "Great news! ... ... S&F! ... ... thanks?" posts

It took me several years to give up the last remnants of GMOs in my diet, but it is truly inconceivable to me to ever go back, even an inch. Unless absolutely forced to - but I will go so far as to sit at a dinner table with friends/family, for 2 hours with nothing in front of me, only to eat some "real" food later on when more convenient. I refuse to buy GMO products even for other people.

Lead by example - people are so apathetic that, at first, seeing somebody with actual conviction is little more than an amusement. Eventually, just maybe, they'll remember that they used to have conviction too, but lost it as a child.
edit on 12-3-2013 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

Every little bit counts No matter how bleak it looks, we are still on the right side of this war, and we must always continue to fight the good fight...

That is as good as anyone can put it!

And you are correct about the timidness needing to end when it comes to certain issues, especially when it comes to GMO. I applaud you for being able to eliminate these products from your diet as it must have been a difficult task but well worth the effort.

We do need to lead by example as many people actually have no idea about certain issues including but not limited to GMO, but this is one of the most importan messages we need to spread to those who we love and care for. At least this topic is something I can approach a friend or family member about and have evidence to present that is factual and simple to understand and not have them look at me like I am crazy, and who knows, maybe they will continue to spread the message through word of mouth. I have always thought that if I can awake one person to any issue that I consider to be important then it was all worth the effort.

By the way, I agree with your posts and star and flag your posts when I come across them, and I thank you for participating in my threads even if it only once in a while.

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The way I see it, evolution will always prevail.

If Monsanto infects the planet with viral GMO crops, the earth will adjust accordingly and weed out the interloper. The whole system is too dynamic to be destroyed by any one variable.

I think GMO will be important in the 21st century. If theres a chance that it is the solution to our food problem, then we are obligated to take the risk. However, I think that humanity should take every measure to preserve the original species, prevent contamination, and have an actionable plan to reverse the effects in case of failure.

While I'm aware that most of you will vehemently disagree with me, that is how I feel.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Great news! Star and flag. Thanks
Hahaha. Not much more to ass eh?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Great news! Star and flag. Thanks
Hahaha. Not much more to ass eh?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Reply to post by TheMistro81

i cant seem to edit my post... Umm. I meant 'add', not the other word above.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
Wow!

All right - I'll bite. Here in the City of Angels, last year, during the days before we voted on a GMO labeling law, the abuelas who sell tamales on street corners were lobbying in favor of the proposition to label GMOs. Unfortunately, the proposition, which out out spent the pro labeling side 10 times or more, went down to defeat.

Tamales are made out of masa, corn, which is the predominant GMO crop on the planet (maybe second, I forgot soybeans) and now that Latins get it and what Big Ag is doing, it can't last long in Central and South America and even in California. It's a good good development in the fight for Food Freedom.

Thanks for the post.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Unfortunately, the enemies of humanity have unlimited resources, are ruthless, murderous and are capable of anything they deem appropriate to reaching their goals. What are their goals, investigate the United Nations, Agenda 21 and if this is too difficult, just ignore what they say and watch what they do.

I do not see much chance of protecting crops from GM anything. If for example Monsanto wants to pollute a crop, all they need to do is spay GM Pollen upon a crop during its pollinating phase.

edit on 12-3-2013 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
What can you do? Stock up on all kinds of heirloom seeds now while they're still available, and before Monsanto forces a patent and the nightmare potential of a Big Ag Monopoly becomes a reality. Grow your own food, even if you live in an apartment -- grow vertically, re-purpose items for beds, grow on balconies. Begin putting food by -- can and save your own organic foods, and save water, too.

In this ridiculous day and age people in some counties (like my own) cannot even keep the rainwater they collect -- it's against the law. This is how arse backwards we've become.

Monsanto is the devil.
edit on 12-3-2013 by Brigidshine because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2013 by Brigidshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Great post CE, star&flag. Thank you for the links and keeping us all well informed.

Peace and hope. starchild.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Why is it that the populations of India India Population Rejects GMO Food, France, Zimbabwe, Bolivia, Guatemala, Nicaragua Countries Skeptical of GMO Safety Claims, and of all nations, China China Rejects GMO Rice all are free to press GMO seed producers for evidence behind their claims of safety and no desire to monopolize crops as they have done here in the US, or outright reject GMO foods based on public skepticism...

... yet we in the 'Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave' were too scared and imprisoned to challenge the fake Celebrity Social Skeptics and Power Oligopolies who promoted these foods and say:

"No, you have made an outlandish claim, I want more evidence before I accept the idea that GMO gram negative and gram positive bacterial proteins are safe to human quality of life and health."

Where Were the SSkeptics???

Where were the Celebrity Social Skeptics???, and all their propaganda about critical thinking and scientific method, and Occam's razor when the GMO foods were rushed to market? Oh yes, pontificating on how stupid Bigfoot and UFO witnesses are. REALLY important stuff. Why waste your time on GMO foods or Monopolization of Healthcare, or skyrocketing ASD's when you can have more fun at SSkeptic conventions and disdaining people and subjects you find beneath you?

edit on 13-3-2013 by TheEthicalSkeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Amazingly these companies continue to not only get away with chipping away at everything natural on this planet, but the fact that noone in any position of power will ever admit that this is going on and is not good largely goes unnoticed.

The scum have succeeded and have caused the masses to be blinded, the power slowly vampired in greater measures.. and only incredible measures that are not considered by most souls will ever do anything about it.

Normal people have been rendered obsolete and powerless, it is time for the "crazy ones" to rise and shine.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join