It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Treating Grandmother's Alzheimer’s With Coconut OIl and Flaxseed...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Toots

Interesting. I might try what you prescribed for myself.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Day one doses administered.

Flax oil in her tea and a piece of toast with breakfast with the coconut oil on it.

Ill check back on monday of next week.
edit on 24-12-2012 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Instead of using canola oil, you can use coconut oil for frying too. I had to ask the clerk for its location in the store though because it wasn't sold anywhere near the other big commercial oils. Worth a try?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by caladonea

Can you provide me with info on the kind of coconut oil used? Links?

Thanks in advance.

What they have been using is: (Organic Virgin Coconut Oil) and they get it at (Trader Joe's).

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
My uncle is currently suffering.
It's like he's a little kid.

I'm passing this along to my cousin who's a microbiologist.
I think we got a nice formula for attack now.
Maybe we can get some improvement with this.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Let me know what you guys come up with and how it works. Im considering this a live study.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Over the counter lecithin capsules are about 50% choline and a lot easier to take than lots of eggs. Two in the morning; they supply the building blocks of acetylcholine, the 'wakey' brain chemical that helps you think clearly; when it's used up, that's part of the feeling of being foggy brained. If people can't take the capsules, there's granules available that can be mixed in pills and used in baking.

It's also supposed to be 'heart healthy' but I've been taking it for over 10 years daily and wouldn't be without it.

Also try pregnenolone, a specific neurohormone that's great for memory loss and is reduced in quantity produced as we age. DHEA may also be beneficial.

Research the whole field of 'nootropics' or 'smart drugs' to learn more. The research is going on 30 years now and there's a lot out there; more so in Europe than in the backwards U.S.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

One treatment that you can try is chelation therapy. There has been a connection made between increased levels of aluminum past the blood-brain barrier, and alzheimer's patients. Make sure to cut intake of fluoride as well, since fluoride will leech additionally aluminum, especially from any teflon-coated or aluminum cookware.

I will take a look through my herbal medicines book and get back to you.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Canola, olive oil and all the others are bad
We have been using Coconut oil for awhile now and I love it! We fry with it, I saute vegetables in it, you can literally use it better than the other oils

The only place I have ever been able to find it is at walmart, it's called Louann coconut oil - you can probably order it off their website as well. Good luck, I hope you can help your grandma

Other benefits of coconut oil:

Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses.
Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases.
Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections. Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites.
Provides a nutritional source of quick energy.
Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance (help with thyroid function and hypothyrodism).
Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose, treating diabetes.
Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body.
Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis. Helps relieve symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes.
Reduces problems associated with malabsorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.
Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth. Helps protect against osteoporosis.
Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease.
Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers.
Improves digestion and bowel function. Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids.
Reduces inflammation.
Supports tissue healing and repair.
Supports and aids immune system function.
Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers.
Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease.
Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects against heart disease.
Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.
Functions as a protective antioxidant.
Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease. Does not deplete the body's antioxidant reserves like other oils do.
Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation.
Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement).
Reduces epileptic seizures.
Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections.
Dissolves kidney stones.
Helps prevent liver disease.
Is lower in calories than all other fats.
Supports thyroid function.
Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate.
Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats. Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems.
Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection.
Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis.
Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin.
Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking.
Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots.
Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion.
Provides protection form damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation form the sun.
Helps control dandruff.
Does not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperature like other vegetable oils do. Has no harmful or discomforting side effects.
Is completely non-toxic to humans.

source of list: Dr. Bruce Fife
edit on 24-12-2012 by KristinLynnxo because: add source

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I must concur about the lack of medical treatment of or a better description ..."the lack of proper care" associated with elders. I have no faith in the medical system because it is there for profit

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I've been looking into herbal treatments / vitamin treatments for things lately, I have found that mixing Vitamin A / K2 and D3 can reverse pineal gland calcification and that Fish Oil can restore damaged or under-developed brain tissue, such as in the frontal lobe (which causes ADD). I majored in psychology, and this is a new area of interest for me -

I've noticed that while psychiatric medicines work on the principle of artificially adding substances like serotonin into the brain, vitamins work on restoring functionality to the parts of the brain that produce the substances needed.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Tons of great info in this thread i appreciate everyones input.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

A friend of mine told me about a spice that is commonly used in India. Its not curry powder.

Apparently, Indians have a very low occurrence of Alzheimer's and they believe its related to the use of this particular spice.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Been pushing the Coconut oil on the parents with much resistance. I personally consume 2-4TBS a day. by the spoonful and use it directly in sauteing and baking when cut 50/50 with butter or another fat as the recipe requires. Also have used it on the youngsters cradle cap with great success. Replaced it as butter on toast for the older boys... coconut oil and honey is now a breakfast favorite. Will have to try the hemp oil.

Definitely think dieticians have it wrong. The preferred fuel of the brain is fat, and the lubrication mechanism is cholesterol. I feel sharper since starting using coconut oil. There was a thread about this very topic posted a while back.

Best of luck with your elders. Slowly watched my grandmother slip into dementia after osteoporosis ravaged her body. Wish I knew then What I know now.

^^ Turmeric, Love Indian food!
edit on 24-12-2012 by J.B. Aloha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Bruce Fife, N.D. has written several books about the healthy/curative powers of coconut oil.
I've read a couple and it's made me a user.

It tastes good right out of the jar.
I use it for cooking and baking.
Anyone interesting in learning more should look him up....his books are on Amazon.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
For natural compounds, the leading candidate for Alzhiemer's trials is most likely Ashwagandha extract. It's been shown in rodent models of Alzheimer's to not only halt progression of disease, but actually clear plaque, reverse cognitive deficits, and even promote reconstruction of damaged neural networks. And it may work through more than one mechanism by acting directly in the brain and indirectly by improving liver function. It has a long history of human use and typically has no negative side effects, although individual sensitivity is always a possibility. It also upregulates antioxidant enzymes in the body and is anti-inflammatory. There's even some evidence of it improving some parameters of health in young adults. Dosage would have to be in the therapeutic range with a standardized extract.

Information with regard to herb-drug interactions is always limited, and it's also unclear how being on toxic psychiatric medications like antidepressants, or sleep aids, might conflict with the action of this herb or interfere with whatever therapeutic potential it may have.

See:
1. Neuritic regeneration and synaptic reconstruction induced by withanolide A
2. Withania somnifera reverses Alzheimer's disease pathology by enhancing low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein in liver

Please note that if beneficial in humans, it may take several months to see benefit.

With regard to coconut, coconut water may be beneficial in a way that the oil is not:

Young coconut juice, a potential therapeutic agent that could significantly reduce some pathologies associated with Alzheimer's disease: novel findings

edit on 24-12-2012 by IamCorrect because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

just monitor liver and cholesterol

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Wow. This thread couldn't be more timely. My girlfriend and I have a friend who is suffering from huntington's disease. She was homeless, and we just got back in contact with her about a week ago. Since then, we have taken her in and my wonderful girlfriend has basically become her guardian. Our friend's movements and memory have gotten a lot worse, and she's having trouble swallowing now. So, she has to have 24 supervision, which neither of us can provide over a prolonged period. It took 2 days, but we got her into the county hospital. Unfortunately, her MediCal somehow lapsed, so the hospital is going to release her tomorrow, and we'll be taking her back. We talked to my parents tonight about her, and since they had had experience trying to treat my grandmother's dimensia, they knew about this treatment and just tonight handed us a jar of coconut oil! Perfect/weird timing! Thank you for creating this thread!

We'll be trying to treat her while we wait for bureaucracy to slug along, and we'll be very interested in the results. We'll post our friend's response as well. How much of each are you giving her? We were told 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. ..but we don't know if that's per day or per meal. So...if anyone has had success with the coconut oil, please let me know what kind and what the doses were. Thank you!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

Coconut oil is for your liver and its good fat, that helps regulate your levels.

They are lying to people, by the way. And promoting a very unhealthy diet.

Coconut oil and hemp oil/cod liver oil is also for your teeth, bones, and arthritis treatment as well. And brain.

www.livestrong.com...

Helps keep your liver healthy.

wellnessmama.com...

Most of the fats we consume are long chain fatty acids that must be broken down before they can be absorbed. Coconut oil is high in short and medium chain fatty acids, which are easily digested and sent right to the liver for energy production.

Because MCFAs are sent right to the liver for digestion no bile or pancreatic enzymes are needed for digestion, making coconut oil a healthy food even for those with diabetes or those who have gallbladder problems.

MCFAs can help increase metabolism since they are sent directly to the liver and give the body an instant source of energy. Most of the MCFAs in coconut oil are the highly beneficial Lauric Acid.

Not to mention is for immune as well.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Hi all, very interesting thread. I know it is off topic, but does some of you know if some of these oils or extracts will help for Parkinson desease. My sister has parkinson and her medical treatments does'nt seem to help her much if at all.
edit on 25-12-2012 by almera because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join