It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's first GM babies born [more info]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I was just reading a very interesting thread about the following story:

The world's first geneticallymodified humans have been created, it was revealed last night.

The disclosure that 30 healthy babies were born after a series of experiments in the United States provoked another furious debate about ethics.

So far, two of the babies have been tested and have been found to contain genes from three 'parents'.

World's first GM babies born

However, the OP was getting a lot of heat about the article being from the Daily Mail and was struggling to find more legitimate sources. Then the thread was 404'd... [snip] (explanation posted below).

Anyway, I did a quick search and I couldn't find any other [respected] news source reporting this information.

HOWEVER, the Daily Mail article talks about the GM children having DNA from three parents. I did a Google news search related to that and I found some VERY interesting things. All these news articles were released just earlier THIS month...

Ethics body backs potential '3-parent' IVF treatment
Children with 3 parents could become a reality
'Three-parent babies' cure for illness raises ethical fear
Children with three parents could be reality: research
'Three-P arent' IVF Should Be Available: UK Health Panel
Controversial fertility treatment requiring three genetic parents given thumbs up
British Bioethics Council Gives OK to Three-Parent Embryo
UK Prime Minister backs controversial ‘3-parent’ IVF technique

We have the UK Health Panel and ethics groups giving this the "thumbs up". The last article even talks about the UK Prime Minister backing this "controversial ‘3-parent’ IVF technique". All these article were released a few weeks ago... is it possible that the Daily Mail article is accurate and that the scientists actually went through with it after receiving the support they were looking for?
edit on 27/6/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

this was just posted and deleted because they arent the first

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bonkrh

this was just posted and deleted because they arent the first

Perhaps not the first, but they most likely are the first using this controversial technique...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Thank you!

No, they ddn't delete it for a Hoax, I asked it to be removed because of my knee jerk reaction. I thought it was from today, and I was wrong! Every, please review the articles in this thread!

Some may already know about this, However I didn't and I'm sure many people on here haven't heard of this either!

Thank you ChaticOrder for posting good valid articles and good information!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

No, they ddn't delete it for a Hoax, I asked it to be removed because of my knee jerk reaction. I thought it was from today, and I was wrong!

Ok thanks for the explanation. But actually the Daily Mail article is from today. Just because you found an old article about GM babies doesn't mean this is an old story... the Medical Article you are referring to doesn't appear to be related to this 3-parent technique at all. This is a new and controversial technique, which is made clear by the articles I linked to.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Many old articles from Daily Mail UK don't have a date byline.

the UPI/United Press International which compile reports based on other news sources have committed this benign error recently on regulatory issues with GMO food news item, sourced from Daily Mail with this problem.

They caught it and deleted.

It's was old, 2001 but legit.

journal study

Mitochondria in human offspring derived from ooplasmic transplantation: Brief communication

Hum. Reprod. (2001) 16 (3): 513-516. doi: 10.1093/humrep/16.3.513

humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/16/3/513.full

BBC news from time

Friday, 4 May, 2001, 15:26 GMT 16:26 UK
Genetically altered babies born
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sci/tech/1312708.stm
edit on 27-6-2012 by rjetarh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by rjetarh

Many old articles from Daily Mail UK don't have a date byline.

Yeah they certainly need to add a date to all their articles... but if you do a search multiple websites have picked up on this article and reposted it today, which leads me to think the Daily Mail article was actually released today... either that or a bunch of websites have picked up some old news.

news.bbc.co.uk...

That link is really interesting because it says almost all the same things as the Daily Mail article. It even has stuff about the DNA coming from two parents and a 3rd "donor". What I don't understand is why are there a bunch of new articles from earlier this month talking about this as if it hasn't happened yet?
edit on 27/6/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I haven't heard of this, thanks for posting OP.

Isn't it amazing how fast we are advancing technologically?

Sooner than you think I bet women won't even have to give birth anymore. You pick the "features" you want your kid to have and they create and grow it in a lab. Interesting times we live in. This kind of reminds me of the film 'splice'. Anyone seen it?

What about mixing animal dna with human dna? I bet it's been tried in the 12 years we've come since Dolly the sheep was cloned. I wouldn't mind a pair of gills myself.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Interesting and a good thing I suppose for those who want
to have babies that can't - however if this gets into the
wrong hands it could become a nightmare.
GM babies of the future - something to think about.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Fortunately, the method in the Daily Mail doesn't sound unnervingly precise... which limits the potential for abuse. For now. I'd hope.

If we just cleaned up the environment and our lifestyles (and kicked the scumbags who allow corporate exploitation of EVERYTHING out of office forever), we wouldn't need these ridiculous treatments to begin with.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

i dont see why this is an ethics issue, if we can manipulate the genes to eliminate genetic diseases and eliviate some of humanities pain and suffering then why shouldnt we. i for one would love to eliminate the gene for male pattern baldness in my family

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Wow! That's crazy. Just today I read an article that says California is attempting to make it legal to have 3 parents....

The article says it's mainly going to be used for bio/step parents to all have ties with the child, but what if it is just the next step to having 3 biological parents in America?

www.nytimes.com...

new topics

top topics

join