It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ENOUGH! Manners in the Aliens/UFO Forum and those who habitually deride, insult, and just LOVE being

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
S&F Springer

I agree, It's not life or death or anything. As i have grown weary of the plethora of bogus YouTube footage and re-occurring threads posted over known hoaxes im also aware most people interested in the subject are relative "noobs" to the subject. We all began as noobs or naive going in to the topic. 20 years ago i would have praised people like Steve Greer and Billy Mier and fit right in with the Guru types... actually i use to be one in a sense. Now being a skeptic and experiencer or witness to the phenomena it should be our duty to embrace the less experienced folks and educate them. Sure some are not receptive to logic but it is also a disservice to impose facts and truths upon them if they are not ready for it. Some people will live in their own world and it is up to them not us to get them there, just a little nudge here and there will do. We need as many people possible out there to seek truth.

or in other words

Just Chill out people

edit on 7-11-2010 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
reply to post by RICH-ENGLAND

All any of us need to worry about here at ATS is our own posts...

Spending time worry that someone got away with something that you did not, is counter productive to a happy time here..

If you see something against the T&C, alert it.

The old.. "Well he did it, so I will too" stuff is NOT going to fly. It has no place on an adult forum...Especially ATS

Semper

thanks for totally avoiding the .questions that i asked.....

and i cannot alert anyone anyway because i only have a ps3 to web browse and many of the functions on ATS no longer work after the re design.

thanks

rich

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Your question had nothing to do with this topic....Why can you not understand that????

I, like every member, must stay On Topic..

This thread is about how to treat your fellow member, not a place to complain that the forum is not to your liking...

It is really not that difficult ...

Semper

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
That Aliens/UFO forum is one of my favorites on ATS as far as reading and responding.

Although for the last 6 months or so I haven't participated much in the conversations, mostly because of what Springer echoed in his post.

It's unfortunate that so few members can make other members like myself actively NOT participate in forums that we enjoy because we are tired of dealing with people's BS in these threads.

~Keeper

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Your question had nothing to do with this topic....Why can you not understand that????

I, like every member, must stay On Topic..

This thread is about how to treat your fellow member, not a place to complain that the forum is not to your liking...

It is really not that difficult ...

Semper

it was everything to do with this thread or did you miss the thread title?.

and why do you keep putting that condescending comment at the end of your posts?

thanks

rich
edit on 7-11-2010 by RICH-ENGLAND because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

It is this simple..

I'm really sick and tired of the absolutely HORRID manners some of our "Skeptics"/"Debunkers" are showing regarding YouTube Videos of alleged UFOs here on ATS.

Nuff said

Semper

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

It is this simple..

I'm really sick and tired of the absolutely HORRID manners some of our "Skeptics"/"Debunkers" are showing regarding YouTube Videos of alleged UFOs here on ATS.

Nuff said

Semper

great attitude...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by RICH-ENGLAND
why are only the skeptical side getting the flak?

There's "sides" in this issue? How childish. I see that in the political forums. I don't see it that way. I don't believe in aliens here at all. I believe in the T&C though. I also read. There have been 2 active threads lately on this, calling for civility. NOW this one. Seems like some can't GET IT.

1 question Rich, what's so hard in understanding, "Keep it civil"?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I completely agree with this, as I am aware as are others that this may in fact be semi directed to a few members. I am still amazed at some of the videos that are posted, and I think they are great. Not everyone is up to par as far as this area is concerned, not even those that make it their business to try to debunk everything posted.

If everyone was a debunker, a forum such as Alien/UFO forum wouldn't even be necessary. Everyone should have a fair share to point out either the positive or negative about a particular thread, but when someone posts 5, 6, 10 times addressing their issue of it, is not only a waste of time and space, but also deters others from participating.

I hope EVERYONE sees this thread!

Peace, NRE.

+11 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

There's "sides" in this issue? How childish. I see that in the political forums. I don't see it that way. I don't believe in aliens here at all. I believe in the T&C though. I also read. There have been 2 active threads lately on this, calling for civility. NOW this one. Seems like some can't GET IT.

i get it perfectly and i asked perfectly relevant questions, and now youre calling me childish? does the thread not state SKEPTICS? is that not opposite to believers?. so is springer also childish?.

wow what condescending moderators...

rich

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Springer,I believe what you moderators fail to realize is that you expect the majority of those visiting this forum to act like adults.

When you allow members to continually start insignificant threads just to get their numbers of threads started up and others responding just to get their numbers up,expect members to act like they are.

Banning and warnings do very little anymore to some of these.

The shear number of threads started each day that are nothing more than re-posting of headlines we have all read on the web,diminishes the intent of this site from the founders intent.

I take all posts with videos with a grain of salt.

I agree mate, %100, I dread to think that one day major evidence for some conspiracy isn't posted because the potential poster fears being ridiculed.

I could easily post information here that is unknown to the public and would change peoples perception of a historical event.

I could easily contact a reporter from one of the major news organizations and it would be world headlines for a while.

But I will not,do so,yet.

This forum gives a member that just joined the same benefits as a experienced and "tenured" member.

There are many good threads that get lost by adult members because of the sheer number of threads being started that are nothing more than pablum.

I wish you all luck but this is no longer a adult site.
edit on 7-11-2010 by Oneolddude because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   

i get it perfectly and i asked perfectly relevant questions, and now youre calling me childish? does the thread not state SKEPTICS? is that not opposite to believers?. so is springer also childish?.

rich

It's difficult for Springer or any mod to point the finger at the believers when it is the skeptics who are causing the problem here friend.

Yes I agree that some believers are too brash in their wording and quote proof and all that jazz, however the condescending comments and the uncivil enbironment are from that part of the group of debunkers.

He's not picking on one or the other, simply stating where the bulk of the bullying is coming from.

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

reply to post by semperfortis

so why are the believers getting a free ride and allowed to call people troll, disinfo agent etc etc etc just because you disagree with a pic/vid, and why can they constantly make comments like, "wait for the skeptics to come in and claim it was a skydiver falling from venus into swamp gas while holding a chinese lantern?.

thanks

rich

This is true, and unfortunately many "believers' don't even know what being skeptical means let alone the important role "skeptics" even debunkers play. Im sure some debunkers or proclaimed skeptics have an agenda to project own disbelief but debunking is a method used to find a truth or hide a truth. Critical thinking is equally attacked here often in that respect. If you have made up your mind that UFO's are not a possibility or if you have decided that UFO's are real and are not willing to discuss explanations that conflict with your belief then there is no reason to be here in the first place. I think the problem is belief systems here. This forum is NOT about belief or disbelief it is used to discuss UFO cases and aliens if you believe or not.

I have been ridiculed for talking about my UFO experience here in the past. I have also been called a dissinfo agent for debunking or extinguishing hoaxes as well. I have had a taste of both ends of the spectrum. Nothing is black or white just my avatar. I seek answers so should everyone.

Nobody knows or knows enough if UFO's or Aliens are real if that is what these things are, but if there was NOTHING to this phenomena it would have faded in to obscurity since the 50's by now. This forum would not exist either. On the other side of the coin we have yet to make this "thing" tangible. That is the whole point of this Forum even UFO research like MUFON. We are all in the same boat , with every thread read by the reader it is his or her own interpretation and opinion. We are entertaining the ideas here and that is it is to me at least.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

i get it perfectly and i asked perfectly relevant questions, and now youre calling me childish?

I did? I called "sides" childish. Take it as you will though.

does the thread not state SKEPTICS? is that not opposite to believers?.

Sorry, disregard the above. YOU are being childish.

No condescension here. We're just looking to get civility in this forum. If some WON'T get that maybe rereading the OP will help. I doubt it though. Oops, that might be condescension.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
For The Record

No one is getting a free ride. The civil posting in a diplomatic manner is expected out of everyone.

There should be no confusion now.

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

i get it perfectly and i asked perfectly relevant questions, and now youre calling me childish?

I did? I called "sides" childish. Take it as you will though.

does the thread not state SKEPTICS? is that not opposite to believers?.

Sorry, disregard the above. YOU are being childish.

No condescension here. We're just looking to get civility in this forum. If some WON'T get that maybe rereading the OP will help. I doubt it though. Oops, that might be condescension.

wow what disgraceful attitudes from moderators, and you expect people to be civil after posting like that?.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

Yeah you are right, should be the case,. we will see hey,.
Oh and why don't we see you doin the news anymore?

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

From what I understand of it, it's because sceptics and/or debunkers are the ones that do that type of comments (instead or analysis) about the cases/videos posted by other people.

Also, because it was said before that it goes both ways.

I think it can be summarised something like this:
1 - be polite, regardless of your side in the discussion and
     a) - when answering a post
     b) - when posting something that asks for an answer
2 - when you see something that you think is against the Terms and Conditions, alert the staff to that

Sceptics and debunkers are most likely to be against the T&C when answering a post, believers when asking (or provoking) for an answer.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyAnonymous
For The Record

No one is getting a free ride. The civil posting in a diplomatic manner is expected out of everyone.

There should be no confusion now.

thank you for that johnny, at least some moderators. can be clear without trying to be arrogant and condescending.

thanks

rich

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

wow what disgraceful attitudes from moderators, and you expect people to be civil after posting like that?.

No, we expect it before. There have been 2 active threads dedicated to civility in A&UFO'S this week. Some aren't interested in civility though. Maybe YOU should look in the mirror though as opposed to casting stones on those that are attempting to keep the forum clean for those that actually contribute. I will not continue arguing this. The reader sees. Hopefully you will as well. Civility, that's all that is asked.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join