It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Sense Gun Legislation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: PorkChop96

They don't pay teachers enough for this.

Why can't we pass laws mandating the study of mass shootings to look for answers to prevent them in the first place?

Maybe it's time to raise the gun ownership age to 21. Just like we did with drinking. With exception for gun use if you're with a family member over 21. A good number of the mass shooters are under the age of 21.

you have a utopian world view. Those who would take a weapon to school and kill others aren't concerned with what the law says. You currently have to be at least 18 to purchase a long gun, and 21 to buy a handgun. Again, criminals don't worry about laws, only law abiding citizens do. Which is why the gun control argument is a joke. A poor one with no punchline.

Allowing teachers to carry is a step in the right direction. I am all for training, range time, and a pay raise if they choose to accept that responsibility. It's a huge responsibility, and you really have to know your sh!t and have confidence in your ability to shoot and know where the lead will end up.

If this was to take off, prior military would be drawn to the job and we might find a whole group of amazing teachers we didn't know were out there.

But please understand, the bad guy doesn't give a rats ass what the rules are. That's why he/she is the bad guy.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 04:17 PM
link   

teachers are very much underpaid but I would venture to say that any teacher willing to carry to protect a kid already carries outside of the workplace so it is no skin off their back to do it at work.

My kid was told by her teacher, during a code red drill, "If there's a shooting. I'm running. I don't get paid enough. Everyone for themselves."

We know why "mass shootings" happen, gun free zones. Ever notice how there is never one at a sporting goods store or any place where you can legally carry a firearm?

There are still idiots that try to rob gun stores.
apnews.com...

The biggest deterrent for these events is to have it known that if you come in here with intent, you will not leave here alive.

Studies have shown that school shooters have thought about suicide or attempted and failed. It seems that many are counting on not leaving alive.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Giving teachers guns is only a band aid that does not fix the underlying cause of the problem.

Stats show that the majority of kids under 18 take weapons from family. That's a problem we can fix by requiring gun safes. Which you should have anyways.

Plus law enforcement and teachers don't necessarily want weapons in the classroom.

www.nea.org...

Most law enforcement experts agree that school staff should not carry guns because they lack the tactical knowledge of handling weapons that trained law enforcement personnel receive on a regular basis. Even if the funding for the weapons and training were to be available after massive cuts to education budgets, educators carrying concealed weapons pose too high a risk to school safety.

“You don’t want to have a gun that’s available to a student or another worker who may have mental health issues,” Maureen S. Rush, vice president for public safety and superintendent of the Police Department at the University of Pennsylvania, told the New York Times.

Parents and educators overwhelmingly reject the idea of arming teachers and other school staff, said NEA President Lily Eskelsen García. "Bringing more guns into our schools does nothing to protect our students and educators from gun violence. Our students need more books, art and music programs, nurses and school counselors; they do not need more guns in their classrooms," she said.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

the problem is a severe lack of mental health options for those who are suffering from different forms of it. No study needed. But until we decide to find a solution rather than patting these folks on the head and sending them back to wherever they came from, this will continue.

Sane well adjusted people don't kill others unprovoked.

But why are there always shootings in "gun free zones"? Perhaps because the shooter knows that there will be no resistance until the cops show up, and if they are in Uvalde TX, you can shoot until you run out of ammo and get tired.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 04:31 PM
link   

They don't pay teachers enough for this.

Why can't we pass laws mandating the study of mass shootings to look for answers to prevent them in the first place?

Maybe it's time to raise the gun ownership age to 21. Just like we did with drinking. With exception for gun use if you're with a family member over 21. A good number of the mass shooters are under the age of 21.

Yet there are people willing to risk themselves to protect others without compensation. It"s
the biblical "Love your neighbor" thing from Matthew 22.

Funding a government study will take years, result in a reduction of liberty and cost money to line the pockets of those appointed.

Why would you reject people who want to help?
edit on 4/10/2024 by Albone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

I really hope that is sarcasm......

It's not brain surgery. If you need a refresher course every few months then you're really so dumb you shouldn't be allowed to have one.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The NEA will spout the narrative of their leaders who would typically support liberal gun control policy. Same for the university lady. Ask some rank and file cops.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Taking it a step further.

Why are kids stealing firearms from their parents to commit these crimes?

Used to be the norm when I was a kid to have guns on the wall in a gun rack.

Also went gopher shooting with teachers at lunch hour. Nobody batted an eye.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Albone

With that out of the way, it is more than point and click. Verify a lethal threat, what is behind them or on the other side of the wall... etc. Realizing every bullet come with a lawyer wrapped around the outside.

You speak of the background check that I fully support.

edit on 10-4-2024 by NorthOS because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 08:17 PM
link   

If someone kicks down your door and home invades you at 1am while you are sleeping...you aren't getting that gun in your hands in time. That's just one example...but there are many scenarios that will play out just like that. You say arming teachers is a band-aid...well so its locking up guns. Maybe this generation of parents aren't doing a very good job on average raising their children right. Moral decay leads to these problems...no one was shooting up schools 20 years ago when I was in school...and most of the kids I knew had the ability to access guns at home.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: 5thHead

Spoken like a person who has never been in a situation where someone is trying to harm/kill you unless you stop them first.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Spoken like a person who has never been in a situation where someone is trying to harm/kill you unless you stop them first.

Ha! You assume too much.

... even if it was true, Im not sure how it would change the fact that guns are not super complex. If you need to go to a class every few months because you keep forgetting how to take off the safety, then you prolly should be under some sort of mandated care. Assisted living or something.

edit on 5300921America/Chicagopm10 by 5thHead because: Full Metal Jacket

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 09:22 PM
link   
NorthOS,
I said nothing about background checks. I talked about my specific personal training. Qualification to state mandated minimum standards for law enforcement. Also, I personally train more than the yearly qualification.

Background checks are mostly useless because bad people don't do things legally.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: 5thHead

The gun is not super complex...its a tool. The user and how your brain/body works is very complex. Adrenaline and stress can do a number on how you react both mentally and physically. Aim is also not a thing you just have in most cases. Its improved by practice. Its one thing to forget the safety often at the range...its another when you have a second maybe 2 to react and you have to contemplate do I shoot, whats around and behind my target and try to line up the shot.

Again they way you speak about this leads me to believe you have no clue or experience with actually using lethal force or having it aimed at you by others. I would venture to say there are some LEO/Military folks here within some experience that would agree with what I wrote up top...but hey you think what you want...I just hope you don't carry based on the attitude you've displayed here...
edit on 10-4-2024 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 09:31 PM
link   
A reply to 5thHead

5thHead, you are either making stuff up or a dangerous risk to any innocent people near you.

Do pro baseball players take batting practise? Necessary speed and accuracy require practise. Muscle memory is trained. Skills and even mind set will decay without training.

For your sake, if you aren't just a shill, please remember the mark of quality is also knowing your limitations. I know I am not as good at most things as I was 20 years ago.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

I'm sorry I was confused. I thought you were saying you thought people needed to go through a gun safety course every few months.

But I guess you're saying they need to become super soldiers.

I just hope you don't carry based on the attitude you've displayed here...

LOL

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
I approve of this - As long as the teachers take a safety course and go out on the range - they already have background checks done on them - then give them special certification to be able to carry in a school.

And insurance. The school districts will need special insurance for those teachers too.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I pity the armed teacher who has an armed 6-year-old aiming their weapon at them.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Teacher need to be trained at preventing a student from taking the gun away from them.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 06:45 AM
link   

My kid was told by her teacher, during a code red drill, "If there's a shooting. I'm running. I don't get paid enough. Everyone for themselves."

And that person, as I stated and you quoted, probably does not carry a firearm outside of work. Also why it is not mandatory for them to do this.....

There are still idiots that try to rob gun stores.
apnews.com...

That's not a mass shooting........

Studies have shown that school shooters have thought about suicide or attempted and failed. It seems that many are counting on not leaving alive.

And armed teachers will end their miserable lives much much sooner than waiting on cops, if they even show up to do their jobs.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join