It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Poor Avocado Plant.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Try hanging harvested Lavender flowers in your open window, stops flies coming in a treat. They hate it.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Ile give that one a go.

Got to be better than chasing them about with a rolled-up newspaper or can of fly pesticide.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 01:56 AM
link   

I'd say swiss tap water is on par with yours and I add some PH down. Most developed countries have PH adjustment for tap water and it's adjusted around 7 which isn't ideal for plants...

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

Apparently Scottish tap water is around pH 6.5 to pH 9.5.

And Avocados grow best with a soil pH of 5-7.

I've not measured mine to be honest, how do I do that, Litmus paper I take it?

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Ph strips for the range 5-7 might be your simplest and cheapest bet, you might find them in a drugstore, or you can buy them online...

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 05:55 AM
link   

I'll have to check but the provanto stuff I was using last year didn't help much with root fly. It'll kill the flies no problem but the maggots which are munching on the roots seemed unaffected.

diatomaceous earth works well or a pesticide that'll work on maggots, all I know is the green bottle didn't work too well. Sometimes it's better to prevent them with mulch or another soil covering. Btw you might be able to get a water report for your area, some companies post that info or you can request it too. Home-brewing websites often publish those details... Hard water would push the soil into alkalinity eventually.

a reply to: angelchemuel

Thanks for posting that

I was going with chrysanthemums for outside plants protection wise but didn't want to risk keeping them indoors, lavender sounds perfect.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 03:16 PM
link   

How's it doing these days now that things are slowly warming up?

All good I hope?

posted on Apr, 13 2024 @ 05:11 AM
link   
WormCastings are your friend. Truat me. I started to place pits in a wide shallow pot last spring..totally forgot about them until they sprouted. No toothpicks, no water soak..nature go figure.

Mine are short and wide. About a year old now. Two months ago they were looking rough until i added half seed starting soil and half worm castings.

There is a GREAT Radio show called "South Texas Gardening w/Bob Webster" 550AM Saturdays at 5:30. ..starts in a few mins.

Heres the link.

www.ktsa.com...

Call in as ask any questions. Bob is wholesome af, insanely knowledgeable and shares said knowledge freely.

posted on Apr, 13 2024 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Also, an RV water filter is a wise investment. Moderately priced and are super easy to use.

When youve got the time i highly reccomend this Youtube Vid..

m.youtube.com...

Degree of molecular attachment of hydrogen/oxygen varies.

Look into "AquaCure", "BrownsGas", "electro-culture".

..ps i put small donut shaped magnets on the outside of my plants.

All biological expressions are first expressions of physics.

VORTEX INDUCED VIBRATION FTW.

Will be snapping a few photos to share just as soon as daybreaks and STX gardening show is finished. ..got some inquiries on blueberries for Bob this morning. Tune in. Link in my previous post.

PEACE&RESPECT

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Lanogaxeh

The OP is in bonny Scotland so chances are it'll only ever be an ornamental plant but I still hope you post some photos, I also wish to thank you for posting. Gardeners tend to be the kindest of people. Helpful too!

Welcome to ATS!

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Gardeners tend to be the kindest of people.

That's just a front, everyone knows unsolved crimes is the gardeners doing...

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

Gardeners tend to be the kindest of people.

That's just a front, everyone knows unsolved crimes is the gardeners doing...

You might be right...

If it wasn't the milkman she was probably fornicating with the gardener.

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 06:06 PM
link   

You can kill a plant with fertilizers.
a reply to: Terpene

Yes you can...that's the reason I switched to Kratky and hydroponics to start my seedlings in, harden them for a week or 2 then in the garden they go. PH water and 1/2 strength nutes in the K and H under lights.. 18on/4off. Almost set it and forget it....

garden...... only worm casting banana tea, with a dollop of molasses. Astonishing growth of the truck crops.

edit on 14-4-2024 by lilzazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Thanx for asking mate.

Aye she's fine the now, turned out to be a lack of water, and not even pot size after all.

Ive moved house now so just trying to get some things in order, what a palaver and then some.

Getting there through.

edit on 15-4-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 01:08 AM
link   

yeah moving sucks but at least the plant looks a lot healthier now! Thanks for sharing it definitely looks a lot happier.

Best of luck with the moving, hopefully everything settles swiftly and nicely

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Its done buddy, but what a palaver.

All sorts of issues with the new property.

And I'm about £4000 down thus far, which really ate into the little amount of savings i had left.

Anyhoo cheers for asking about the plant.

posted on Apr, 20 2024 @ 12:41 PM
link   
New tea recipe.

Everything responds well to compost tea. 5gal bucket, sock full of compost, 2 cups bat guano, 2 cups worm casting, 2 tblspoons unsulphered molasses, fish emulsion to taste, small scoop of Recharge, add a fish tank bubbler and use after 24 hrs. dilute 1 h20... 1 compost tea....Exceptional vegetative growth!!!

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Also i've seen cold windows, allow cold air to sink onto the leaves, and tropical plants suffer by it, amd then direct sun burn, since, there is no air movement, even sun loving plants, could suffer burning.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join