It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shampoo: The Silent Health Threat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 12:52 PM
link   

This is a very good video which talks body and hair health related to using shampoos (and indirectly conditioners too).

It's been something that I got interested after noticing my scalp and hair not feeling or looking good, as well as some receeding which I thought may have been due to stress and wearing my hat only.

So we know that a lot of these 'cosmetics' aren't good for us but many people just look at the marketing material on the face of the product, maybe skim the ingredients to see if those 'beneficial' ingredients seen on the front are found in the small writings on back of package, and then look at pricing to see if it's worth getting.

I was guilty of the above but now it's different.

This guy's strategy is very quick and easy.

Forget the beautiful packaging BS and go straight to ingredients and actually read what is in it. If you don't have a clue what they are...use a free app that can tell you. I personally use the app called yuka (which has a carrot as main image) that has it's food/cosmetics graded from 0 to 100, lists good and hazardous ingredients as well as defines what these bad things do to you (which again is backed up by proven science journals and studies).

www.whygoodnature.com...

My choices of food now are based on good ingredients...before I had no clue and now I am wiser and looking for a positive change in my life to avoid harm to my body and hair! Even though I was still wise in making healthy choices before this app, now I can read about the pros and cons of any ingredient listed! It's so cool...like playing Pokemon Go (although I never played that game, you get the idea)

edit on 25-1-2024 by Skywatcher2011 because: added link, photo and note

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 01:07 PM
link   
A lot of people are saying that Chiner is putting baldness creating chemicals in the baseball hats they manufacture. Everybody's talking about it.

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

My wife has been into the haircare thing for years and I just use what she uses. Have no idea what the name is, all I know is it smells good, gets my hair clean and * shrug* that's good enough for me.

Swear to God, I just went and counted. There are 13 bottles of stuff in my shower.

Moisturizing this, hydrating that, exfoliating the other thing.....all I know is the Ivory Bodywash is white and the shampoo bottle is teal blue.

I treat everything else like an unexploded bomb.
edit on 25-1-2024 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: lilzazz

.......and that's why I only wear Stetsons.

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

.......and that's why I only wear Stetsons.

That's a good start....

Bailey straw for me rain or shine...

topic....I don't need hair products of any kind. I just wipe the sweat off with a red bandana.

edit on 25-1-2024 by lilzazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I wash my hair with my homemade soap, only twice a week.
Doesn't look greasy, feels good, and I know what is in it.
A whole 4 ingredients, if I use Frangrance.

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Its amazing just how much less oily your hair gets the less often you wash it. Almost like stripping the oil your body makes away will end up making your oil glands go into over drive trying to compensate.

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Could you drop us a hint of how you do it C’sMom?

Pretty please 🙏

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Silent? ...... My SO has so many hair products, it sounds like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

1linersRUS...

edit on 25-1-2024 by lilzazz because: sp

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Dalamax

Making the homemade soap?
It is pretty easy, but you have to be careful, because you use lye. I always wear rubber gloves and safety glasses and ALWAYS have white vinegar on the counter.

There are lots of good recipes online.
Another great thing about homemade soap, is even if you have hard water, it lathers like crazy.

My favorite just has Coconut oil, sunflower oil, lye and essential oil in it.
Oh, and you should only use glass cookware, as lye will react to metal.
The lye will burn off during the process.

I just don't have my notebook with me.

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: lilzazz

Silent? ......

Sorry mate, it does make a farting sound sometimes when it's squeezed out of the bottle.

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Or, perhaps when men start balding, they cover it up with a baseball cap.

Holy Sht guys. Now we are going to be afraid of shampoo? WTF has happened to Americans? Do you even hear yourselves?

It must suck getting up each day and worrying about EVERYTHING.

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Disgusted123
Or, perhaps when men start balding, they cover it up with a baseball cap.

Holy Sht guys. Now we are going to be afraid of shampoo? WTF has happened to Americans? Do you even hear yourselves?

It must suck getting up each day and worrying about EVERYTHING.

You think that's bad. In florida if you are under 16....no social media. Trying to make it a law.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I’ll scout the inter webs 👍

Thank you

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Lanolin or the manmade type of this chemistry in shampoo makes my scalp itch. Similar to the reaction I get to wool.

I cannot tolerate propylene glycol or polyethylene glycol or polysorbate eighty chemistry in shampoos either, I buy the suave one with very little in it and still have to rinse it and rub my head well with a washcloth during a second rinse.

If I miss a spot of a rinse on my skin on my back that has shampoo on it, using a washcloth to rub it out, I am taking another rinse shower in the evening to rub it off. Constant itch all day...sometimes I have to go back and re-rinse a couple of hours later. Darn that wool allergy, Lanolin is made from the oil of wool.

Seems like all the shampoos have this kind of chemistry in them nowadays, and some soaps too. I spent a lot of time trying different shampoos to identify the chemistries I am intolerant to but you know what: They change their formulations every so many years and I have to try to find a new one again. At least I know the chemicals I am intolerant to.

Polysorbate eighty, polyethylene glycol, and propylene glycol in foods causes major problems which can be worse than the shampoo. Also Carageenan is a problem too which is another type of emulsifier. Yet gar gum and Xanthian gum are not so much of a problem in ice cream as Carageenan.

I am sure that there are possibly some new chemistries with different names in hair products now that can also cause me problems, I just have not researched or experimented on them on myself.

There is no need to put all those chemicals in shampoos, It does not matter how much the shampoo costs either, seems like the cheaper ones are less of a problem for me. I am not going to spend lots of money on something that is not good for me, I would rather buy the cheapest one that does not cause me as much problems as the majority do.

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

There is no need to put all those chemicals in shampoos, It does not matter how much the shampoo costs either, seems like the cheaper ones are less of a problem for me.

Well said...I checked out the more natural products that rated high on the good side of things and you get lower volume but natural ingredients. I think the video about P&G pushing their agenda to shampoo daily made it for the more quantity in products with a bunch of fillers to make it cheaper in production. Well...if you only need to shampoo like once per week and rinse the rest of the time, no need to buy large amounts of unhealthy shampoo when smaller in volume/higher in quality will do just fine! And we wonder how cancer rates keep increasing SMH

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: lilzazz
A lot of people are saying that Chiner is putting baldness creating chemicals in the baseball hats they manufacture. Everybody's talking about it.

I hear that the electrons they use on the Internet scrape the cells from inside your skull and make you speak with a Bronx accent!

edit on 2024-01-26T01:29:40-06:0001Fri, 26 Jan 2024 01:29:40 -060001am00000031 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

originally posted by: rickymouse

There is no need to put all those chemicals in shampoos, It does not matter how much the shampoo costs either, seems like the cheaper ones are less of a problem for me.

Well said...I checked out the more natural products that rated high on the good side of things and you get lower volume but natural ingredients. I think the video about P&G pushing their agenda to shampoo daily made it for the more quantity in products with a bunch of fillers to make it cheaper in production. Well...if you only need to shampoo like once per week and rinse the rest of the time, no need to buy large amounts of unhealthy shampoo when smaller in volume/higher in quality will do just fine! And we wonder how cancer rates keep increasing SMH

when you use soaps and shampoos every day, it washes protective chemicals off the skin that help to prevent cancer and diseases. Taking a shower with soap and shampoo twice a week is not a problem for most people, and you can take a shower with just water every day. Of course, this is not always socially acceptible if you have certain jobs.

Remember, the skin is an organ. It has functions similar to the liver and screwing up the skin can put more stress on your liver. Of course, if your skin is really dirty, it does not work either so this is an individual choice....but it should not be a social mandate. I take a shower with soap about once or twice a week or as needed. Sometimes that means I have to take one once a day if I am doing something dirty or have got sweaty making wood or something. I used to take a shower every day when I had my construction company, but I got dirty or sweaty every day usually, even though I was the owner, I liked to work along side the workers, and I did take the hardest and dirtiest jobs most times because I felt that I should not be more priviledged than my workers. I also took the most dangerous jobs because I did not want an employee's injuries on my conscience

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

From what I understand from a scientific perspective is that when you shower under warm to hot water and wash with shampoo, not only do you skin pores open up but the oils, like you said, are stripped off as well. This allows chemicals to now penetrate through those open pores and get into our body...thus increasing risk to disease and other reactions.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

As long as you do pericare everyday, you don't have to wash your hair...just the body wash

top topics

<<   2 >>

join