It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland Schools, Race and Gender Must Be Taken Into Account Before Disciplining

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Could it also be because of the fact that minorities and LBGT students are punished more harshly and more frequently than their white peers?

From 2016:

More specifically, youth of color are more often disciplined for vague reasons such as “willful defiance” than their White peers (Warren, 2021), and LGBTQ youth report being disciplined for dress code violations and public displays of affection more than their heterosexual and cisgender peers

School Pushout: The Role of Supportive Strategies Versus Punitive Practices for LGBT Youth of Color

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

There are ways to punish or make room for the child to get their homework done.

If you can't put yourself into some of the very difficult situations that children often face, and how much worse the care system can be, I don't really think it worth explaining to you. It's not a perfect world therefore imperfect solution are sometimes required.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Case by case. How can I possibly comment? Contact the teachers ask them I am sure they will be more than happy to clarify. Research it and get back to me.

Lol.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BrucellaOrchitis

There are ways to punish or make room for the child to get their homework done.

Do tell?

If you can't put yourself into some of the very difficult situations that children often face, and how much worse the care system can be, I don't really think it worth explaining to you.

Well, that's handy, considering the fact is buddy you are not explaining much to begin with.

Kind of sounds like you are trying to suggest kids that are being abused should stay where they are as opposed to your social care system intervening because you imagine it to be worse.

It's not a perfect world therefore imperfect solution are sometimes required.

That's true but it does nothing to change the fact that you cannot have one rule for some and another for the rest.

And where children are concerned treating them differently or showing favoritism tends to have an adverse effect.

If the teacher becomes aware that a child is living in an abusive household they are obligated to contact social services.

Letting the poor wee souls slide or skate by via non-completion of homework to fall behind the rest of the class hardly helps put it that way.
edit on 6-12-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:19 AM
link   

You're very silly. It's a news story someone posted and I read. I certainly didn't write it nor is it about me. Try thinking for yourself, it can revelatory.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:23 AM
link   

I am not the one suggesting one rule for some or another for the rest.

Or that certain children should be ignored by teachers, or their abuse swept under the carpet because you imagine your care system to be worse than child abuse they may be experiencing.

As to homework, did the dog eat yours?

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Neither am I, I am simply trying to understand why these teachers may want the ability to exercise such discretion.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrucellaOrchitis

You're very silly. It's a news story someone posted and I read. I certainly didn't write it nor is it about me. Try thinking for yourself, it can revelatory.

No. What’s silly is the improper idea that while things may be bad, really bad, for whatever reason at home, that the world will make things right for you by making them harder for someone else. Albeit based on gender, sex, skin color, belief systems etc.

That ain’t how the world actually operates. That’s the basis for a lawsuit of the discriminatory flavor later in life.

It would behoove children to learn this and treat others as fairly as possible even when the world isn’t that way either. To suggest teachers pay is tied to their ability to make things palatable for the young of this country is absurd. They should be teaching. Period.

Might as well try instilling the Golden Rule. For no pay. That serves society in the then and now. Young and old.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:27 AM
link   

I agree that children's health and well being are the number one priority.

But teachers are not social workers or psychologists, they require a completely different skill set and qualifications.
And no child should be led to believe that they will be absolved of their own indiscretions for any reason and most definitely not because of their race or gender.

We as a society let every single child down who is raised in a abusive domestic environment.
We absolutely need to start addressing core issues and with an openness and frankness that may well upset the overly sensitive who currently have far too much sway and influence.

Compounding these children's issues by allowing them to go unpunished or unreprimanded will not help them in the long term.

Absolution is not a solution.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

You see it's not about not applying discipline it's about the discipline being more situational. Social services you know even in the UK inadequately protect children, some children have caring responsibilities themselves and don't get much support. How much worse do you reckon that might be in the US?

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
But kids should be treated and punished equally, or else all you are teaching them is one rule for some and another for the rest.

EXACTLY. This sets up different rules depending on skin color and gender identity. It's absurd. example - If vandalism is wrong, then it's wrong for everyone, not just white straight kids.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:32 AM
link   

I think the children are incredibly fortunate to have teachers who so clearly care about the wellbeing of their pupils and their individual needs.

If the teachers cared about the well being of the students, they wouldn't be having a different set of standards for the students based on race and gender. Example - If a student breaks a window, he/she shouldn't get away with it because they have black skin or are trans. That's simply stupid. Same rules apply across the board to everyone - no special treatment because of skin color or gender identity. Otherwise it's not fair. If the teachers really cared, they'd apply the rules equally.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:33 AM
link   

You mean you dont know?

As long as you understand that child abuse is wrong and should be reported to authorities as opposed to ignored for whatever reason you may imagine, its all good.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

No one is suggesting that anyone gets away with anything. A broken window would be a criminal offence and beyond the teachers jurisdiction. Lol.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:34 AM
link   

it is about recognising that some children can end up being punished twice, once by teacher, then at home.

It is the parents RIGHT to raise their children as they see fit.
It's none of the schools business.
And it's a poor excuse to use when determining discipline in school.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:36 AM
link   

On this note FlyersFan, we are singing from the same hymn sheet.

One rule for some and another for the rest where kids are concerned just dont fly.

As all it does is promote division, disrespect, and discontent.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:43 AM
link   
It takes a lot of hate and bitterness at the world to make a comment like that. I can see why you like the Daily Mail so much. Lol.

All you dogs, I hope, will soon finish eating each other.

Just nasty.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

Really interesting read, thanks for posting that, it adds a whole new dimension to my thoughts.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:52 AM
link   

I think we both agree that the children's well being is the priority regardless.

You see it's not about not applying discipline it's about the discipline being more situational.

Discipline has to be equal and fair or it simply causes division and resentment.

Social services you know even in the UK inadequately protect children,.....

Some unforgivable failings....so lets address the core issues with Social Services and dare I say lets start questioning why there are so many cases where children are being brought up in these abusive situations.
What the # is wrong with our society?

..... some children have caring responsibilities themselves and don't get much support.

I agree, its a damning indictment of our society.

How much worse do you reckon that might be in the US?

Why should it be worse in the US?

Even if I was to agree with you about children being raised in abusive households being disciplined differently - which whilst I understand your viewpoint I don't agree with - I really fail to see how or why race or gender should be such a determining factor in how a child is disciplined.
No-one has tried to explain that?

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I can't help but think it isn't the teachers who came up with this, but their union....for whatever reason yet to be reveiled.

Oregon seems to be the testing grounds for 'inovative' ideas, like making all drugs legal last year, thinking it would incourage the hard drug users to seek rehab.. Now they're trying to repeal that law because it isn't working out like they thought it would....duh.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join