It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 Things Loved by Poor People Until Rich People Ruined Them For Everyone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Until Rich People Ruined Them for Everyone

The article discusses food, concerts, coffee, clothing and other life issues. I can relate to the above article as it relates to food and coffee as I love food. That includes fast foods aka junk food. I am not into candy or cookies or cakes. Although I love them I refrain from them to keep my glucose in check. As I write this my sugar when tested several weeks ago was @ 98. I am into seafood, pizza, ribs, chicken wings, hotdogs, Chinese takeout, Mexican and McDonalds. I dont buy the pricy stuff just the BOGOs or cheaper hamburgers such as the McDouble for under $2.50 each.

Street Food Stalls

Street stalls used to sell cheap hotdogs and pretzels. You could grab a can of soda for 50 cents or a bottle for a dollar. But not anymore. What was once affordable and authentic has become gourmet and expensive, leaving behind the charm and accessibility of local street vendors

Coffee

What was once a simple cup of coffee has become a complex and pricey affair, with artisanal beans, fancy brewing methods, and boutique coffee shops taking over, leaving behind the traditional coffee experience.

I also make my own turkey and stuffing from scratch. I buy the NO name knock off birds as they have more flavor and arent dry. I use a Betty Crocker book and their stuffing recipe from the 1980's that my parents gave me when I moved out. My wife loves it. I stuff the bird and make on the side for her. Primary spices are Thyme, Sage and Black Pepper.

I also cook a full duck. My duck isnt greasy. Just elevate it ff the bottom of the roasting pan. I alsos stuff same as per above.

When we lived outside of Atlanta, I was discussing food with our Realtor who IMO was a snob. She remarked about where I shopped was a Ghetto store. The store was located in a neutral area but had great prices along with the best restaurant grade sirloin burgers that I have ever eaten outside of a restaurant. The price was excellent also. True one could say that the low wage earners shop there but I dont care. To me its about taste 1st and quality 2nd. I also shop at Aldis now and then.

So here is article about how those of wealth have destroyed low cost fast food. Thats true IMO. However that may be coming to end. Starbucks coffee has labor issues. I hate Starbucks coffee. Burger King who I also like has financial issues. I have never been to a Sonic, Chic Fil-A or Big Boy. I no longer eat the salt licks at Arbys nor PopEyes chicken. I used to buy McDonalds coffee daily until they changed their beans. I love Dunkin Doughnuts. I also used to by the heated ballpark franks for a buck at Krogers. However since Covid-19 Krogers since switched from a hot dog to a sausage. Same with Sams Club. Yuck.

Getting back to the article I noticed that many young people around a decade ago were moving back into the inner cities. My guess is that was because real estate was cheap because of the poor people so its a natural progression of the species? Or is it because the younger crowd didnt want to mow a large lawn and enjoyed walking to the supermarkerts?

Based on all the hate and rage in society since 2016 that may now change along with the food prices becoming decent again as I think the high end fast food prices are not sustainable. People of wealth are flighty, storm to whats fashionable and basically relay on others to make something for them. That includes both young and old.

edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: add

edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: typos

edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: add

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

Fried Chicken
Seafood
Vintage clothing
Thrifting
Small houses

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I pick once a week. I keep much but also sell much on eBay since 2012. Its great in South Carolina as many dont want to do the work. That includes many dealers as the work ethic down here is that people work to live. They dont live to work. Thats OK as I get many deals.

I typically pick smalls. I stay away from large items and furniture. I pursue vintage glassware, ceramic and pottery. Advertising is tops.

We also donate to a church affliated thrift store. Its not my church. When its too large or isnt worth my time we donate. So its a nice split as I also buy much from them. Just picked a 7 Up counter sign from the 1950's for $2 for my man cave.

Its a hobby

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Music

Gotta pay to be played.

'Nuff said.

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

Yes that really went off the rails. In concert as I am from back in the day I saw Kansas, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and several others.

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Carhartt jackets
Pickup trucks

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I pick once a week. I keep much but also sell much on eBay since 2012.

I started selling on EBay in 1996. No joke.
A few years after I got a digital camera but it was very basic and used regular batteries and would eat through them.
A few years I made a small fortune as the market wasn’t saturated and you could sell almost anything.

Then came the scammers…..

Back to the early days, there was a time you’d sell on EBay and people would send you a CHECK in the mail as payment!!!!

edit on 20-11-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I remember working shows for OCMS in Ithaca NY when they got started...fans paid $3 a ticket. Now lawn seats alone are $75.

Cool thing is, I get paid to be there.

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This thread reminded me of an acquaintance who falls into the "rich people who ruin things" category. The person is a friend of my sister. I wouldn't actually consider her a friend of mine. She came to visit my sister a while ago, and I offered to drive them around the city so they could shop and take in some sights. She asked me about an area that was north of our downtown district. I told her it was pretty run-down. The ghetto. She wanted to see it, so I did a quick jaunt through some of the worst areas. Her exact words we're "it's soooo charming!" The ghetto is charming.

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Back to the early days, there was a time you’d sell on EBay and people would send you a CHECK in the mail as payment!!!!

Wow! I never knew that

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Cajun food.

When I wsa a kid (more years ago than I care to think about) Cajun food was largely considered poor people's fare by those on the outrside; especially crawfish. Crawfish were called "mudbugs," and anybody who ate them was looked at by most folks outside of South Lousiana as nasty, backwards, gross humans.

Now, crawfish are so damn expensive that a poor man has to either catch his own or do without. And so many places are posted now (also unlike when I was a kid) that you might have a hard time finding a place to trap them. We used to catch them in roadside ditches with simple nets, baited with bits of raw meat or hot dog. I think that the proliferation of insecticides and such have probably made that a no-go, either because there are no more crawfish in the ditches or they are contaminated.

:
edit on 2023 11 20 by AwakeNotWoke because: formatting.

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 10:55 PM
link   
We are having our Turkey day dinner at our house this year for the family. Maybe twenty people will be coming.

I bought a free range natural turkey from the coop, not organic, but the sixteen pound bird costed sixteen bucks...99 cents a pound on sale. It is thawing in our fridge at this moment.

Stuffing is cheap, I made two loaves of bread to use in the stuffing. That cost a buck thirty total...all organic grains used in that. the celery is organic but the onions and butter are just store bought. It will be better than having all commercial ingredients anyway.

Gravy is from the turkey juice and organic corn starch. sea salt for everything, and the sage and rosemary are organic for the turkey. but either way, the amount of the spices organic or not isn't critical if they were commercially produced, they just taste better.
Around seven pounds of locally grown spuds, Kale salad, homemade rolls, a Cherry pie made from my brothers cherry tree, local wild blueberries for the other pie, and commercial sweet potatoes...they were thirty nine cents a pound at Meijers. Plus some other dishes and veggies. and cranberries.

The total food to prepare the meal and condiments which others are bringing will probably cost around seventy bucks for twenty people to eat till they almost burst. Plus leftovers to make soup out of the bones. That will come out to less than four bucks a head.

I could have got a meijers turkey for fifty nine cents a pound, but this brand is tastier, we had one last year. Worth the extra forty cents a pound. Could have got a Jenny-O turkey for .99 a lb too and they have better flavor than the Meijers ones and definitely are better than the butterballs in my opinion.

Holiday meals are not expensive to make if you make everything you can make and avoid overspending on recipe additives. I know people who spend more money on additives to their meat to make a recipe than they spend on the meat itself. Those expensive rubs and additives are usually too flavorful, full of Ummami flavor that turns them into junk food.

They have a buffet at a place here, twenty five bucks for a person all you can eat, just think how much it would cost to take the twenty people to that.

The cost of all twenty of us to go starbucks here would be more expensive than the whole meal and as much coffee as you want to drink at home.
edit on 20-11-2023 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 11:46 PM
link   

My hometown could easily be on the list. I live in a small town outside of Portland, Oregon. In recent years, some of the farmers north of town sold off large tracts of land, which has been developed into residential subdivisions. Nobody who grew up here in town can afford to buy one of these houses, which start in the mid-600s, but the there has been a steady influx of Californians and Portlanders who can. But infrastructure improvement hasn't accompanied the growth in the population, so now a town that never used to have traffic has some of the worst traffic in the county. I could go on but you get the point. Rich people ruined my small town!

posted on Nov, 21 2023 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: QRST4D

so now a town that never used to have traffic has some of the worst traffic in the county.

Same thnig happened to a small town we live in. Its near Lake Murray in South Carolina. We live about 4 miles from I26 yet it takes almost 20 minutes to get there.

posted on Nov, 21 2023 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AwakeNotWoke

Same as Chicken Wings.

posted on Nov, 21 2023 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I agree so when I read about those without food I laugh at them as they must not cook or want caviar with crumbles. Oh, so no money when I was a bag boy years ago we hand duumpster divers outside the super market and I am sure they ate well. Just because its beyond the sold by date doesnt make it rotten.

With respect to

and definitely are better than the butterballs in my opinion.

I have ccoked Turkey and / or stuffed duck at Christmas and Thanksgving for over 30 years. Had two bad Turkeys as in dry over that time as I use the exact recipe. One was a butterball. It was so tasteless I threw it into the ditch along the road for the vultures.

GO GREEN!

posted on Nov, 21 2023 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass

I agree so when I read about those without food I laugh at them as they must not cook or want caviar with crumbles. Oh, so no money when I was a bag boy years ago we hand duumpster divers outside the super market and I am sure they ate well. Just because its beyond the sold by date doesnt make it rotten.

With respect to

and definitely are better than the butterballs in my opinion.

I have ccoked Turkey and / or stuffed duck at Christmas and Thanksgving for over 30 years. Had two bad Turkeys as in dry over that time as I use the exact recipe. One was a butterball. It was so tasteless I threw it into the ditch along the road for the vultures.

GO GREEN!

I had a friend I used to help process his turkeys, he lived forty miles from our house. I would go there two days to help him to get them ready to sell. I got one fresh turkey and one smoked turkey for helping him. I even took my granddaughter to help one year, she helped to pluck them with us. Sh did really good. Sadly, the one person I taught how to put food on the table is the one that committed suicide. None of my other offspring can even clean a fish to eat, they cannot even clean a chicken or wild turkey.

My youngest daughter did watch me with processing a deer, but only stayed for a short time and did not assist nor did she take part in hunting or cleaning an animal. She did like fishing, but would not eat what she caught. My granddaughter loved fishing and cleaned fish she caught a few times, and she helped to cook and eat them.

The one I trained to help my other offspring to survive in an emergency is not around to help them, so I guess I will have to live and stay healthy till my great granddaughter can be taught how to do that. I have no patients teaching my other grandkids, they have been spoiled by my oldest daughter and have no interest in that kind of thing. Real fish comes with breading on it from a box, Chicken comes in take out boxes from the restaurant or gets served to them at the restaurant.

Because my one granddaughter had lived with us from age five to nine then from age twelve to eighteen, along with coming to stay with us almost every weekend in between, she learned how to do way more than my other grandkids. She even worked on cars with me, she could have got a mechanic license if she would have did a little studying and took a certification test.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 06:12 AM
link   

I never liked gutting or cleaning the fish or animals. My grandparents would hire someone to slaughter the hogs. Dad would clean the fish that I would eat. Typlically Walleye from Lake Erie. Our derr were processed by a butvher but we gutted them.

When I was a kid I was also taught how to wipe my butt with tree leaves in the woods when we built our house. dad show us how to heave our butt over a fallen tree and do the deed.

So wheres Greta and AOC?

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Great things that poor people enjoyed before rich people ruined it?

I'll take what is affordable housing for 500 Alex.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I remember those days!!! My bf and I would order things on eBay. I remember getting certified checks for sellers from my bank. That was also back when you didn't have to worry about scammers. They were not all over the place back then. Now they ruin a lot of sites. Shopping on eBay now is very different.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join