It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 8 Greatest Philosophical Theories You Need To Know - Aperture

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Just found it by accident and am enjoying it a lot so far, that's why I put it here too.

Contains:
Let's deep dive into the 8 most profound philosophical theories.
The Black Swan Theory
The Theory of Everything
Everything We Dont Know
The Dunning-Kruger effect
The Courage to be Disliked
The Nostalgia effect
The Egg Theory (on the video Thumbnail)
The Power of Thinking for Yourself

Enjoy

edit on 1-11-2023 by FurPerson because: oopsey

edit on 1-11-2023 by FurPerson because: oh my gaaawd two typos in the title alone ...

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: FurPerson

Dunning Kruger effect to me just seemed like a really overly complicated way of explaining how we go from not knowing something to just taking an unintended interest in it and getting better at whatever that something is.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:18 AM
link   

The video looks interesting.

Hopefully, give it a go if a lull materialises.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

It's a little more than that. It actually describes how when we got entry level knowledge of a subject lack the ability to accurately asses how skilled we really are.
The one who knows little thinks they know more because they didn't realise yet that they only see the tip of the iceberg.
While those who know more are aware how huge the iceberg really is and therefore judge themselves as knowing less than they do relative to others.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The courage to be disliked is very interesting.

The thing is, intuitively, we know that the world isn't black and white. We
know that there are grey areas, yet, we fall into the trap of having a very
fixed outlook of the world. Humans don't fit neatly into categories; we're
a lot messier than that. Our personalities aren't fixed, and the Adlerian
belief is that instead of referring to personality traits, we should adopt
the term "lifestyle."
This is because lifestyle reflects context and environment, and context
and environment are significant determinants of how we experience the
world and ourselves. Our worldviews come into play at about the age of
ten, and they're a mixture of positive and negative experiences.

file:///C:/Users/jillm/Downloads/The%20Courage%20to%20be%20Disliked.pdf

There is definitely a mix of psychology, sociology and philosophy and lifestyle (nature, nurture) as with everything being a theory.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

I liked that part too.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: FurPerson

I liked that part too.

I think that may be the first step as adults in gaining the courage to think outside the grooming, indoctrination and programming we've all been subjected to. Next steps would be to open one's mind to explore both sides of the coin.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Yes that's what the philosophical ewuation asks us to question, my point is, it's not really that much of a thought provoking philosophy, I mean the majority of us learn such a moral mantra when we are young.

"You don't know until you try".

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I also think it is deeply connected to the courage to think for yourself. Because radical theories that challenge beloved preconceptions are never popular.
Yet developing them is the most astonishing feat the human mind can perform.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I also think it is deeply connected to the courage to think for yourself. Because radical theories that challenge beloved preconceptions are never popular.
Yet developing them is the most astonishing feat the human mind can perform.

Then we get into the 'everything we don't know' and the 'theory of everything', then where to we go from there? lol

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:57 AM
link   

okay. I don't know what your point is? Philosophy is exactly about that: formalising truthisms in an attempt to prove or disprove them.

And if that particular train of thought isn't for you because you already know... good for you. I bet there is still plenty of thought provoking trains you can explore or take as inspiration.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:58 AM
link   

...boldly where no one has gone before...

lol *shruggs

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 09:01 AM
link   

...boldly where no one has gone before...

lol *shruggs

"Beam me up, Scotty".

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Well, I guess my point being is that it's not necessarily some spooky effect that will blow the minds of those who dive into the question.

What else could you, personally, see getting more out of that philosophical thought process beyond what you know.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I see. The Black Swan Theory as first topic made you expect spooky mind-blowing stuff?

I look at it as stack exchange: show me what knowledge level you are on, so I can adjust mine if required.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 10:10 AM
link   

The two biggest that people get stuck in born late 1950's to middle to late 1960's is the Egg one running into the paradox of which came first? My answer is the snake eats both.

The one not stated is the mirror one and people are still getting stuck to this day with it... Here is my advice; Don't talk to it and don't believe the image as it is usually what others have said or described you as being especially if people have tried to convince you that; that is where your consciousness resides once feeling confident that you've accepted that; that's you and where your consciousness exists? They break it. How to know someone is programmed to be your mirror? Their lips move when you are talking as if they are reading them or aka on "The other side."

Psychology doesn't come right out and say it but when asked if one talks to oneself? That's what and where they mean since most institutions do not have ones breakable or actually really function as a mirror... the theories attached are parallel universe, infinite consciousness and doors of "perception" to try and scry and make it a portal or receiver for such of what would be thought of as a zombie in a twinning/twining process until whatever roles desired of the two to be together is finished then break the bond.

Acting was the first target of such mind control techniques in the hopes of using tv to mesmerize and control people using the mirror method; another way to tell is when people quote stuff from something you have watched together to where you want to kill them as their entire personality is actually contrived and they do not really have one.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I'm planning on watching the video you posted.

But first, a little something I like:

Edie Brickell said:

The lyrics came from my one elective in my first year in college, world religions. From the time I could first think, I wondered, What does the rest of the world think? I know what these Texas folks think, but what’s going on in the rest of the world? So I took this world religions class, and I was immediately annoyed at the chatter going on in the classroom. To adopt behaviors, to adopt some sort of dogma, I felt defeated the purpose of evolution. That song just blossomed from irritation.[2]

On the "choke me in the shallow water" lyric, she said, "That’s the part that was irritating about the class. Everybody was getting so deep in terms of making things up—'Does this mean this and does that mean that?' I was just irritated, like, just kill me now before I get out there and lose myself and my sense of who I am."[2]
What I Am - Wikipedia

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Black swan theory doesn't really resonate with me, after digging into the likes of Spinoza, hegel and marx black swan theory seems rather pointless.

When I used the term spooky, it was more like einstien describing something out of the ordinary, mysterious, yet believable.

I think the best way to describe a spooky question would be platos cave, or kuhns paradigm. I find that the duning Kruger effect is something that you find out for yourself at a rather young age, maybe more of a stoic take that you realize as you grow older and take risks. Not that stoicism isn't a philosophy, it's just rather more blunt.

I guess we can ask, are natural paths in life required to have a philosophy tied to it? I guess I'm veering off into post modern take now tho.
edit on 1-11-2023 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 10:39 AM
link   

okay.
But where did you get the idea from this was ever supposed to be spooky?

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Are you thinking I mean, literal spooky? Like scary?

I thought I gave a good explanation with einstiens use of the word spooky.

Let's use the word, epiphany. Or I don't know, a term like a new thought process, or a new way to look at life.
When someone reads say meditations by Marcus Aurelius, there's many instances that could trigger those thought processes, or reinforce them. Isn't that the whole purpose of philosophy, or just reading in general?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join