It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Degree in magic to be offered at University of Exeter

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

"Sounds great fun. If people are interested in the subject and can afford to fund themselves then why not. In addition another excuse for drinking games, chasing girls, not entering the 'real' world".

The latter resonates strongly with me!

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

To misquote John Lydon;

"Ever had the feeling you're being stalked"?

On topic;
I've never been to University - got thrown out of school with no qualifications at all, not even a CSE.

But my older brother did, he went on to complete his PhD.
I had some great times going to see him; all that posh totty loved a bit of Northern rough.
And then there were the Hoorah Henry rugby players who thought they could drink, I always somehow got involved in their drinking games - one man against boys - and all at their expense of course.

Coming from a council estate in a North East English town does have some benefits - or at least did have back then in the way, way long time ago.

I've since gone on to learn a lot about University life, courses etc and deal with it on a day to day basis.
I once passed comment on the absurdity of some courses students can now apply for and a very well respected member of ATS quite correctly pointed out me that for some people these maybe the only courses suited to them for various reasons.
These courses can make a massive difference to some people's lives.

Who the # am I or anyone else to say what other people can or can not study at University?
Freedom of choice and all that.

I despise all that woke bollocks and most of it is indeed academia born and driven.
And Brighton University is the wokest of the woke in the UK.....but nowhere near as bad as some those elsewhere.

edit on 6/10/23 by Freeborn because: typo

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Written below the bog paper at my Uni:

"Sociology degrees. Please take one. They're free".

As for hooray Henry rugby players, suffice to say, agreed.

Green pint, anyone?

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

PM for you about hooray Henry's.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Studied dowsing. It worked!

Do you have any theory's on how it works? The mechanisms at play and such?
edit on 6-10-2023 by surfer_soul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

No.

All I can say is we did an experiment.

A tray of 20 paper cups, one full of water, covered up, a twisted wire coathanger held lightly between finger and thumb, and it worked every time.

Don't know why.

Also went into synchronicity. Now that is something else...

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

What's lacking in the education system is a side course that will adequately prepare students for the university of life.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I did a thread about My Weird Experiences involving flying flaming logs and coincidences but I can't find it now.

Some weird synchronicity there for sure.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 03:32 PM
link   

My law degree was pretty useless for practical applicability.

Needed the Law Soc Finals and Articles to prepare me for real practice.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Like, drinking and chasing girls? That sort of thing?

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 03:39 PM
link   

That's a nice little experiment you did. I'll have a go at replicating that seems simple enough to set up.

My best guess is the brain is capable of detecting/sensing much more than we realise, but because we don't know about it or hardly have need for it, we need the aid of dowsing rods, or pendulums etc... to pick up on it.

As for synchronicity the mind boggles!

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Exactly I was never taught any of that stuff! Had to learn from my mates, and then learn years later they had got it all wrong..

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I think oil and water companies actually employ dowsers?

Synchronicity, yes. If you open your mind to that weird stuff starts to happen.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 04:07 PM
link   
So I see you have a Master's degree, nice... What is this? Magic and Occult Science? I'm sorry we just filled the position.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

As part of my law degree I had to do a wild card subject.

I did Pseudoscience. It was great.

Studied dowsing. It worked!

Ufology too.

Our tutor was an expert in ball lightning.

His interest started when he witnessed it rolling down the aisle of an airliner.

Never did me any harm studying this stuff.

Bark!!!!

Looks like it did you the world of good OC and from this I'm leaning towards your CE with a flying log originating with your education in dowsing. Mate I went down that route as well. Looking back never realised the implications of using the rods. OC you look like you connected with the energy grid on Planet Earth and this is just guesswork yet, as you state "it worked" oh my what amazing fun one can have with a set of rods. Loved the split twig from a tree, Jezza said "nonsense it ain't going work," still gave him the split twig and every time he went over the water course the twig went south and smacked him in the bollocks

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

That's a nice little experiment you did. I'll have a go at replicating that seems simple enough to set up.

My best guess is the brain is capable of detecting/sensing much more than we realise, but because we don't know about it or hardly have need for it, we need the aid of dowsing rods, or pendulums etc... to pick up on it.

So under tests, they fail every time so maybe it is something else like they learn to read the land subconsciously. We also know the brain can do some really crazy things like what we see with idiot savants with counting and other things like playing the piano with basically zero practice and blind people that can click their tongues and hear objects in their path.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 04:17 PM
link   

a reply to: VulcanWerks

Not everyone enters academia to make money.

But academia is there to make money from all that enter. They are not there to always provide actual real life useful information now are they?

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 04:26 PM
link   

"Sounds great fun. If people are interested in the subject and can afford to fund themselves then why not. In addition another excuse for drinking games, chasing girls, not entering the 'real' world".

The latter resonates strongly with me!

Lol yes Oldcarpy
if you fancy becoming a 'mature'
student studying magic totally know where you are coming from. Still up for the drinking games, chasing girls, not entering the 'real' world. Would love to do exactly the mature route and 'study' archaeology, similar to magic. Just need Alice Roberts to lecture xxxxxxxxx

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

Mate if you want to experiment without the water please obtain 4 beer mats or something similar then place a penny / dime under one of them. Swing a pendulum above the cards and ask it "dearest pendulum which card has the dime" then watch the pendulum pull in the direction of the target. Totally amazing and as OC says "it works"
edit on 000000f20232023Fri, 06 Oct 2023 16:41:31 -0500b040000001031 by ufoorbhunter because: Spells

edit on 000000f20232023Fri, 06 Oct 2023 16:42:26 -0500b040000001031 by ufoorbhunter because: It didn't fix the spell

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Who are you replying to?

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join