It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West African leaders commit troops for military intervention in Niger

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Leaders from the Economic Community of West African States are attempting to meet with Niger's coup leaders this weekend following last month's coup in an attempt to avert intervention , troops from 11 West African States are poised to enter the country to restore the rule of democratically elected President Bazoum.

Niger's Coup leaders called for the assistance of Russia's Wagner group recently as they are already in Africa assisting Coups in Burkina Faso and Mali , both countries have said they could join Niger in the fight if the Bloc launch a military intervention.

Soldiers from 11 West African nations are "ready" to be sent into coup-hit Niger to restore ousted president Mohamed Bazoum, officials have said.

It comes after leaders of the countries agreed to commit troops for a military operation in Niger, led by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).

"We are ready to go anytime the order is given," the ECOWAS commissioner for peace and security, Abdel-Fatau Musah, said in Ghana's capital, Accra, on Friday.

"Our troops are ready to respond to the call of duty of the region."

Niger is currently suspended from ECOWAS following last month's coup. Three other countries under military leadership, Guinea, Burkina Faso, and Mali, are also suspended from the bloc.

The latter two have warned they will consider any military intervention in Niger by the bloc as an act of war.
news.sky.com...

A World at war courtesy of peace loving Russia.

edit on 20-8-2023 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

How is Russia at fault for this? Please do explain in detail.

IDK if you got the news yet but Wagner Group and Russia had some conflict in the past about their dealings. Wagner now is doing their own thing in Belarus and does not really answer to Putin as of lately, it seems.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

How is Russia at fault for this? Please do explain in detail.

Russia has been extending its influence in Africa for years by doing what they did in Eastern Ukraine , it was their backing and support from Wagner troops that has facilitated the Coups in Burkina Faso and Mali , this has been happening for a while with Wagner accused of war crimes in those countries.

IDK if you got the news yet but Wagner Group and Russia had some conflict in the past about their dealings.
Wagner now is doing their own thing in Belarus and does not really answer to Putin as of lately, it seems.

Wagner have been operating in Africa since before the war in Ukraine which is how I first became aware of them , they are not limited to Belarus as you assume and are still doing the bidding of Putin.
By backing Coups in foreign lands they gain influence and resources from those lands.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 04:50 AM
link   
What you wrote is not entirely the truth. The coup was in January, unrelated to Wagner group, done by their military. They just come now after the fact. So when you write that Wagner has facilitated the Coups there, that is not the truth.

If you have evidence that supports your claim of Wagner facilitating the Coup in January, then post them please.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

OK my mistake not Burkina Faso , they are however operating in several African countries including Mali.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:06 AM
link   

See? This is why I asked in detail. Not to protect Russia but to get to the truth. It's easy to miss things like that and always easy to blame on Russia and be distracted to not look for the real reason.

Think about it, Russia is the scapegoat for most things happening currently, how convenient it is to further own agenda and blame it all on Russia and not look for the guy behind the curtain.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:22 AM
link   
This is nothing else than the next step in the war between the sinking west and the rising rest of the world. Fought with african instead of western troops. And i bet that those who joined the coalition to establish "democracy" (at the western behest, to the western advantage of course) in Niger "again" would switch the sides immediately if they would get a better deal from whoever else. It´s not that they love the west, "our" culture and lifestyle, they love the western money and weapons, that´s it. They don´t love "our" pseudo-democracy, they are not stupid, deaf and blind.

"A World at war courtesy of peace loving Russia."

Ok, if two do the same BS it doesn´t make the BS better. But why do i never hear or read: "A World at war courtesy of peace loving USA,France, UK for example? I mean, come on, we the super-clean and morally best of them all west do that sh!t since i am born and longer but we call it "building schools and wells" and "establishing democracy" and it´s always only good. But woe if the other side copies the own behavior and gives the west some of it´s own medicine. Then it´s at least "at the brink of world war three". They are a bit lame in my eyes, these double-standards.

On both sides only a-holes are giving orders and are at the lever of power. And the a-holes of both sides use the africans to fight their, the wests war against russia and vice versa, on african soil. Of course to the profits of the weapons manufacturers on both sides. If there really are two different sides and they aren´t simply fooling the people and work together secretly to achieve their goals. Maybe something like a Great Rest and a new world order, where nations maybe play no role anymore and are outdated, after this reset?

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:53 AM
link   
i was under the understanding that the people of Niger supported this coup against the French colonialism and were initally concerned about French air strikes weeks ago.

ECOWAS is acting on behalf of those same people?

How is that democracy? I don't support private militias like Wagner acting anywhere but if this what the people of that nation support then who TF is ECOWAS to say otherwise?

Considering there have been several coups over as many years, who is really in control? I think any form of "democratic" government needs to be what the citizens of the country want. Right now it seems that they want Wagner/Russia to protect them from ECOWAS forces.

What under lies the coup in Niger
sorry, the page wont let me copy but its an interesting read.

There is definitely more the story and the history of the entire region than any of us know or are being told by the media.
For example, the President of Nigeria was denied the option for military action by the Nigerian senate, but he is the current head of ECOWAS, so it seems he is using ECOWAS to further his own agenda. Which also happens to supported by the French Government....

Thousands in Niger rally in support of coup leaders

A delegation of members of the now-ruling National Council for the Safeguard of the Homeland (CNSP) arrived at the 30,000-seat stadium in the capital Niamey on Sunday to cheers from supporters, many of whom carried Russian flags and portraits of the military leaders.

The stadium – named after Seyni Kountche, who led Niger’s first coup d’etat in 1974 – was almost full and the atmosphere was festive.

General Mohamed Toumba, one of the CNSP leaders, denounced in a speech those “lurking in the shadows” who were “plotting subversion” against “the forward march of Niger”.

“We are aware of their Machiavellian plan,” said Toumba.

Speaking of Machiavellian planning...here is some double speak from U.S. Secretary of state on the restoration of "democracy"

US says it has 'direct contact' with Niger's coup leaders but the conversations are 'difficult'

Acting Deputy U.S. Secretary of State Victoria Nuland was among the American diplomats who recently traveled to Niger to meet with the power-players in the insurgent government there, telling reporters later Monday that the goal was "to get some negotiations going and also to make absolutely clear what is at stake in our relationship and the economic and other kinds of support that we will legally have to cut off if democracy is not restored."

edit on 20am31600000023 by datguy because: added missing media source

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: datguy

When I hear "restoring democracy" from the US government, what I really hear is "waging a hidden war to replace your government with one that we like to see".

I do have a weakness for the US, I am fascinated by the country, possibilities and overall idea of the constitutions and the freedoms but also duties it brings.

It's just this one thing about almost all US governments in the past, when they talk about "bringing democracy", the whole world knows it's about geopolitics but no one really calls them out. Everyone knows it's about the oil and resources, it's an open secret.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain
but also duties it brings.

This right here is what people miss.
"The burden of Freedom" is very, very real
Part of that burden, in the cases of these West African Nations like Niger, and Mali (where the US has supported UN "peace keeping"), is that the people who are fighting for their freedom may not have the same beliefs or intentions...

Just look at Palestine

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Over a billion Barrels of Oil found in northern Nigeria.

Mystery over. We know why there was a coup and why 12 African countries with shady backers want a slice of it...or at least back the way things were pre-coup.

It's always about resources. But they'll dress it up as democracy.

Nigerian natural resources by state.
edit on 20-8-2023 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-8-2023 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

More than oil...

How dependent is France on Nigers Uranium

Over the last ten years, the 88,200 tonnes of natural uranium imported into France came mainly from three countries: Kazakhstan (27%), Niger (20%), and Uzbekistan (19%). Niger plays an important role in France's supplies, but its importance is overestimated by some politicians.

There have been mines for uranium active in Niger since the 70's, the oil infrastructure is almost solely Chinese run since 2011, which is about 15,000 barrels per day
Which is just another reason to be wary of Russian Mercs as one of the only Russian exports that are currently not under sanctions is uranium (nuclear fuel) with the US as one of its most lucrative customers

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: datguy

This, plus we also have several definitions of "freedom" floating around. People confuse this just like with rights. Both end where mine start. Throw organized religion into the mix and it's mayhem.

Also, if we have the right to something, we have to duty to upkeep this right for everyone else by exercising on it with honor and respect, thereby validating and honoring the right's existence in first place.

Parents are to blame mostly. My parents gave me a lot of freedom because they knew I would value it. Many of my friends did not had the freedoms I had, because they #ed up too often and parents did not bestow trust on them. I could go camping with the boys no questions asked as long as my parents knew where I was and when I would be back.

Other friends sneaked out at night and got home before 6am to sneak back in, because their parents did not allow it either "just because" or because there was trouble before and general mistrust. My parents however, gave me a lot of duties, too. I knew that on Saturday when I did all my chores, what took like 2pm, I was truly free to do what I liked.

Others always laughed at me for having to work but they had no freedoms. They had no chores to do and even their room would be cleaned and organized by mother. They had no idea about all the duties I had.

Which one of us, me or my friends were more happy you think?

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 07:43 AM
link   
ECOWAS are calling for the restoration of the elected government in Niger, that was displaced by a military coup. Regardless of how flawed the Nigerien government, an unelected cabal of military hardmen is far worse. This has been shown to be the case repeatedly through history.

The illegitimate military leaders in Niger are refusing to talk to ECOWAS.

Surprised that some people seem to think miliary coups are good.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Just to make it clear, Nigeria is not Niger, Nigeria shares their northern border with Niger.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Over a billion Barrels of Oil found in northern Nigeria.

Mystery over. We know why there was a coup and why 12 African countries with shady backers want a slice of it...or at least back the way things were pre-coup.

It's always about resources. But they'll dress it up as democracy.

Nigerian natural resources by state.

Nigeria has always been an oil country. It's a typical country in Africa where the people are starving and quality of life is nil with the exception of the VERY few. This also shows, it isn't a matter of money or wealth with many of theses third world type countries. It's a matter of who has control and if they care about their people. Which sadly to say, is always a no. There are enough riches to go around and still care about the quality of living with their people but I guess being rich, at least for most people, voids any humanitarian qualities.

How Poor Is Nigeria?
Nigeria also has some of the most crushing poverty rates in the word.

120 million out of their 200 million population live under $1 per day. In the interior regions of Nigeria, subsistence is a major problem.

75% of the youth population (below the age of 25) is unemployed.

The Nigerian economy ranks 121st in the world in terms of per capita income despite being the 26th largest economy.

20% of the children in Nigeria do not live till their fifth birthday due to the lack of basic facilities.

Most Nigerian citizens have no access to water, electricity or any other basic infrastructure.

Reasons behind Nigerian Poverty:

It is strange that so much wealth and so much poverty co-exist in the same country. Some of the reasons behind this co-existence have been listed below.

Population: The number of people in Nigeria is very high. This population is also growing at a very alarming rate. Hence, even though the country generates a lot of oil revenue, very little actually reaches the masses.

Nigeria has a population of 200 million, and it produces around 800 million barrels of oil per year. Hence, on a per capita basis, they produce only 4 barrels of oil which translates to a revenue of less than $200. On the other hand, countries like Saudi Arabia produce over 130 barrels of oil per person creating a revenue stream of over $6000 per person. Nigeria can neither increase its oil production nor reduce the population. Hence, it is completely dependent upon the price of oil.

Poor Policies: The Nigerian government has taken very few steps to encourage economic activity in the country. As mentioned above, the infrastructure is already in tatters. However, the government isn’t taking any efforts to develop its human resource either. India was also suffering from a population explosion. However, it educated its people and turned a problem into an opportunity.

The Nigerian government doesn’t seem to be interested in replicating India’s model. This is the reason why it spends a dismal 5% and 3% on education and healthcare respectively.

Negligence: The government of Nigeria has also been negligent when it comes to other industries. Nigeria had a booming agricultural and manufacturing sector before the 1960s. In fact, Nigeria was a net exporter of food products to the rest of Africa. The situation is very different now. Nigeria doesn’t produce enough to even be self-sufficient. It has to pay a huge import bill every year. The government can be held responsible for this since they did not pay attention to any industry except for the oil industry. The manufacturing sector was also destroyed since the sources of funding for these sectors were diverted towards the oil sector.

Corruption: Apart from the handful of rich businessmen, the politicians in Nigeria are also very wealthy. This comes as a surprise since most of them don’t own any legitimate businesses. Corruption in Nigeria is known to be rampant.
Public property is sold into private hands for pennies on the dollar in return for kickbacks. Nigeria is one of the few countries in the world which has a regressive tax system. The government levies indirect taxes on a lot of goods which are used by the poor. On the other hand, the Nigerian government is also known for giving huge tax breaks to the rich. The taxation policy of the Nigerian government is a giant wealth transfer scheme which aims to make the “haves” even more richer at the expense of the “have-nots.”

www.managementstudyguide.com...

Greed Sucks. Many people in this world suck.

edit on 4531202300000031bSun, 20 Aug 2023 12:43:45 -05002023000000x by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Surprised that some people seem to think miliary coups are good.

It depends, it was a military coup that ended the fascist regime in Portugal in 1974.

That was a good one.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 03:14 PM
link   

What you wrote is not entirely the truth. The coup was in January, unrelated to Wagner group, done by their military. They just come now after the fact. So when you write that Wagner has facilitated the Coups there, that is not the truth.

If you have evidence that supports your claim of Wagner facilitating the Coup in January, then post them please.

Wagner has been operating in these countries for years. Wagner has been in Niger for quite a while. Satellite imagery from early last year showed them arriving by air and by water. Many of their helicopters and heavy machinery was imaged being brought in. They were imaged arriving in boats, it is known what ports they use and then how they go from the ports into these nations.

When they arrive they assist in training the coup leaders and arming them with Russian made weapons. They also give them Russian flags.

The coup leaders were all carrying Russian flags as they instigated the coups and stormed the embassies.

So what he said is actually true, Niger's junta works directly with Wagner, is trained by Wagner and they are supplied with Russian made weaponry, given to them by Russia's proxy - Wagner.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany
To you as well:

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 03:31 PM
link   

a reply to: Mahogany
To you as well:

You're saying you don't know this?

Do you want me to teach you how to look it up? So you don't have to ask others to do research for you?

You know, teach you to fish instead of giving you the fish?

Let me know, I'd be happy to help this once.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join