It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweden to build at least 10 new nuclear reactors deals a huge blow to the green agenda

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2023 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienBorg

I disagree. Once other countries see safe nuclear plants the rest of the world will start to do the same. This is bad news for the fossil fuel industry. Just wait, 10 years from now your going to see a ton of negative propaganda about nuclear coming from big oil.

Those environmentalists are going to be cheering this on once they see what it does to oil companies when other countries start building nuclear plants. Mark my words. This is a win for the green movement.

posted on Aug, 12 2023 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

I disagree. Once other countries see safe nuclear plants the rest of the world will start to do the same. This is bad news for the fossil fuel industry. Just wait, 10 years from now your going to see a ton of negative propaganda about nuclear coming from big oil.

Those environmentalists are going to be cheering this on once they see what it does to oil companies when other countries start building nuclear plants. Mark my words. This is a win for the green movement.

Win for the green movement?? I wouldn't think so. The green movement and the environmental and climate change activists want all energy to come from renewables, but that's a fantasy.

Green energy is that which comes from natural sources, such as the sun. Clean energy are those types which do not release pollutants into the air, and renewable energy comes from sources that are constantly being replenished, such as hydropower, wind power or solar energy

Green energy comes from natural sources. I doubt very much this is a win for the green movement as nuclear energy is not a type of green energy. It belongs to the second group, clean energy. Although the term clean energy is dubious.

The world's energy needs are met by fossil fuels. The world relies on fossil fuels and the dependence on them is a little over 80% just as it was 30 years ago. In 10 years from now the dependence on fossil fuels is very likely to be the same as it is now.

posted on Aug, 12 2023 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Who said anything about “room temperature” or even “cold” fusion (which doesn’t exist)?

Fusion heats up isotopes of hydrogen first to create a plasma then as that volume of gasses is whipped around the reactor more isotopes are added as is more energy. The whole thing heats up 100 million degrees until the mutual Culomb forces are overcome due to the overall heat and density of the plasma itself. The superconducting magnets are are used to keep the plasma from melting the reactor walls and to “flip” the plasma so the protons and neutrons don’t sink to bottom!

So, magnets near absolute zero, plasma hotter than the sun because they can’t use gravity to confine it, and a bizillion fast neutrons and heat (and a helium nucleus) being created in the process.

The whole reactor is wrapped in an energy blanket to transfer heat from the fast neutrons out of the reactor. A byproduct is the creation of an isotope that already being used as fuel. A little processing and it can be reused as fuel.

Both hotter than the sun and cold as deep space just a few inches apart…

No wonder it is always “30 years away”!!

ETA: They could also use lasers…
edit on 12-8-2023 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Not even gonna mention targeted magnetic fusion…

posted on Aug, 12 2023 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Who said anything about “room temperature” or even “cold” fusion (which doesn’t exist)?

Fusion heats up isotopes of hydrogen first to create a plasma then as that volume of gasses is whipped around the reactor more isotopes are added as is more energy. The whole thing heats up 100 million degrees until the mutual Culomb forces are overcome due to the overall heat and density of the plasma itself. The superconducting magnets are are used to keep the plasma from melting the reactor walls and to “flip” the plasma so the protons and neutrons don’t sink to bottom!

So, magnets near absolute zero, plasma hotter than the sun because they can’t use gravity to confine it, and a bizillion fast neutrons and heat (and a helium nucleus) being created in the process.

The whole reactor is wrapped in an energy blanket to transfer heat from the fast neutrons out of the reactor. A byproduct is the creation of an isotope that already being used as fuel. A little processing and it can be reused as fuel.

Both hotter than the sun and cold as deep space just a few inches apart…

No wonder it is always “30 years away”!!

Some link will be appropriate.

Fusion ignition has been achieved a few years ago, back in 2021, but to the point we use nuclear fusion as a means to generate energy, it's still a dream.

Only the stars can successfully fuse elements into heavier elements producing massive amounts of energy as a result of nuclear fusion.
edit on 12-8-2023 by AlienBorg because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2023 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Seems like green tech to me.

posted on Aug, 12 2023 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Nuclear energy is the greatest source of energy known to us. Disasters have happened, and we've learned a lot. Green energy is the least efficient source of energy. So... Good. Build your nuclear plants and make them safe. This really shouldn't be an issue of debate outside of local politics.

ETA: I support more nuclear energy despite being in a state with a nuclear plant shut down due to safety. At least we shut it down. And we could've done it better. I'm referring to the Ft Calhoun plant.
edit on 12-8-2023 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2023 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: ITSALIVE

Green energy is that which comes from natural sources, such as the sun. Clean energy are those types which do not release pollutants into the air, and renewable energy comes from sources that are constantly being replenished, such as hydropower, wind power or solar energy

I ve linked this earlier.
Nuclear energy belongs to the second group, clean energy. But even this term is dubious in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 12 2023 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlienBorg

originally posted by: ITSALIVE

I ve linked this earlier.
Nuclear energy belongs to the second group, clean energy. But even this term is dubious in my opinion.

Cool, we both have opinions

posted on Aug, 12 2023 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Sweden to build at least 10 new nuclear reactors deals a huge blow to the green agenda

In Europe nuclear IS part of the green agenda.

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienBorg who gives two turds what this child thinks. She needs to be at school studying and making friends. She doesn't mind globetrotting and I am pretty sure she does not sail to cross oceans,more bike or ride horse and buggy from town to town. I am more carbon neutral than her I go to town twice a month 10 miles away to get groceries

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonah1970
a reply to: AlienBorg who gives two turds what this child thinks. She needs to be at school studying and making friends. She doesn't mind globetrotting and I am pretty sure she does not sail to cross oceans,more bike or ride horse and buggy from town to town. I am more carbon neutral than her I go to town twice a month 10 miles away to get groceries

If you're talking about Greta then you're absolutely correct!

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Not at all. Nuclear power is the greenest mass energy there is.

posted on Aug, 15 2023 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ziplock9000

Not at all. Nuclear power is the greenest mass energy there is.

The definitions are dubious but even if we use the current political definitions, at the very best, nuclear energy is a type of clean energy and not green energy.

posted on Aug, 15 2023 @ 08:13 AM
link   
gReEn AgEnDa

cLiMaTe IdEoLoGy

FaNtAsY oF rEnEwAbLe ReSoUrCeS

cLiMaTe ChAnGe CaTaStRoPhY iDeOlOgUeS

Christ you folks are so blissfully un-self aware of the fact that you arent maverick “free thinkers”, just either shills for fossil fuel empires like Saudi Arabia or you just wanna “own libs” or cause you’ve romanticized your grandpappy working at the coal mines. REAL men die of black lung! Got that liberals!?

Its like you people came out of a factory.

posted on Aug, 15 2023 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: majesticthirteen

Which "folks"?

posted on Aug, 17 2023 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: majesticthirteen

Which "folks"?

The ones who will die with spittle on their lips defending the 60 years of propaganda from corporations like exxon and the media gatekeepers who receive payouts from said corporations to spread the propaganda.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join