It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The tree of knowledge of good and evil.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Cwantas

In Exodus 33 Moses sees God's back so not invisible.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The sin is making decisions about good and evil which differ from God's decisions. Going in a different direction.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: godservant

I'm really into how biblical passages were/are translated and/or interpreted within context. It's a crap shoot.

However, there are myriad modern scholarly interpretations regarding the term הדעת טוב ורע(Hada'at tov wa-ra "the knowledge of good and evil") in Genesis 2–3, such as wisdom, omniscience, sexual knowledge, moral discrimination, maturity, and other qualities. According to scholar Nathan French, the term likely means "the knowledge for administering reward and punishment," suggesting that the knowledge forbidden by Yahweh and yet acquired by the humans in Genesis 2–3 is the wisdom for wielding ultimate power.

en.wikipedia.org...

It seems to me the wisdom for wielding ultimate power is already upon us.

ETA:

Upon further consideration, the ultimate power for destroying all humanity is now. We could re-interpret God's warning to Adam and Eve in this context as well, not just each of us experiencing death but the whole of humanities annihilation.
edit on q00000024731America/Chicago3434America/Chicago7 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 02:03 PM
link   
It's a very interesting question and topic.

God is wise and what are the riddles?

A tree of knowledge of good and evil.

I think this song holds a clue:

When you make mistakes you find out what is good. Is knowledge of good and evil pointing to that you only know what you have when it's gone, by which I mean, when you stole a wallet, you might find yourself thinking it's better not to steal. That when you didn't give to someone who asked you find yourself thinking why you didn't.

Having knowledge of good and evil being a state of sin, a state of making mistakes ending up in regret, a neverending state of regretfulness implied by this song "?":

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The wicked = the unforgiven = the sinning = a state of suffering; hence the term salvation. Do you give a child a stone when it's hungry. It fights because it is incompetent.

Come follow Me, you are not worthy but My Grace is Sufficient.

"I live in a state of constant regret, my incompetence is shoved down my throat and I want it all to end, I can not and I can not even though I know, I don't have it in me to do good."

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Sometimes we only know one side.. of up and down.

The light shines in the darkness so it needs to get dark first.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Everybody likes a kind person,
everybody wants you to beat the cruel one.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: godservant

That would mean that they could not speak when God speaks to them the while they're in the garden.

It was the knowledge of good and evil. The source itself probably isn't important. Something gave them the knowledge.

"Don't listen to it..." probably isn't a good way to stop it since you can't not listen to it. I don't see animals going around telling secrets

Both Genesis and Gilgamesh believed it to be some sort of fruit. He certainly wanted to go after it, leagues down and all.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: SamColt

Moses didn't see God the Father because He's invisible.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI
So god would prefer we remain unenlightened so as not to have a difference of opinion and this is our punishment, an unenlightened existence where evil is allowed to flourish.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 06:28 AM
link   
No, God would prefer us to get our enlightenment direct from him instead of getting it from ourselves. "Evil" means "something God does not want", so if we avoid doing things which God does not want then evil will NOT flourish, by definition. Our present world is full of evil precisely because every individual insists on doing whatever he wants.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Enlightenment is a state of being personal the individual so we can't get from God we can only remain unenlightened. God in his wisdom cast the evil one amongst his unenlightened children, that's why evil flourishes.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 07:37 AM
link   
"Being personal the individual" is what the Bible regards as sin.
Since this is a Biblical passage we're looking at, I'm only interested in treating it from a Biblical perspective. If you prefer a different perspective, not my problem.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The Bible is a book that can only be perceived and is the reason its so widely disagreed upon, I think it boils down to courage.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Enlightenment is personal to the individual because it can only be personal, actively seeking what is personal to self is the sin in the sense we seek it out.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I disagree, the only God Moses dealt with is God the father, I AM.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Can you think of a reason why God would appear in the flesh in the old testament but in the new testament appear as Christ who represents God in the flesh?

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 10:08 AM
link   

God can do anything.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cwantas

Can you think of a reason why God would appear in the flesh in the old testament but in the new testament appear as Christ who represents God in the flesh?

He doesn't need a reason.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 12:28 PM
link   

What makes you think He doesn't need a reason?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join