It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did Sweden expect after Charlie Hebdo... another first Sweden's Iraq embassy on fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Yes, the Iraqis are complete whackos, but...

What did Sweden expect after Charlie Hebdo... additionally, Do you know we are screwed when Sweden is even mentioned in the same sentence with riots and the embassy burning.

No excuse for Iraq, mind you but the 1st World is supposed to be the intelligent ones, why enflame the religious zealots and fanatics of the world? There were other ways for Sweden to protest rather than burning the Koran for its symbolism.

Not to excuse the Iraqi's response, they are completely beyond rational reasoning, that's also obviously against their religion, so isolate them and help them humanitarian, but otherwise leave those crazy azzhats alone. Besides, all it does is inspire the militant nutjobs. and if there are militant nut jobs around sooner or later TSHTF

PS.

Early morning rant apologizes, but I do feel better. Respectfully we lost too many good Americans and Iraqi citizens there, for them to still be losing their chit

www.theblaze.com...

Rioters reportedly stormed the Swedish embassy in Iraq and lit it on fire in protest against the burning of a Koran in Stockholm weeks ago.

Videos on social media show demonstrators protesting outside the embassy, and later videos appear to show fires at the embassy in Baghdad after the protest turned into rioting.

Riot police had been sent to restore order, and smoke was seen rising out of the embassy, according to a report from an AFP News Agency journalist at the scene.

Reuters reported that no embassy staff members had been harmed.

Protesters chanted, "Yes, yes to the Koran!"

The violent demonstration was organized by supporters of Shi'ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, according to posts on social media.

Muslims have focused their ire at Sweden ever since an incident during which authorities allowed the Koran was to be burned in June in front of a mosque by an Iraqi immigrant.

Two men were caught on news camera ripping the pages out of the Koran, wiping their shoes with them, and sprinkling pig's blood on the book before lighting it on fire.

The incident complicated Sweden's bid to join NATO while Ukraine is still defending itself against an invasion by Russia. It also led to two previous major demonstrations against Sweden at its embassy in Iraq, including one during which the facility was breached by rioters.

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Ironically the story that I found this tracing back to was an Iraqi Christian burning the Quran outside the mosque in Sweden.

apnews.com...

Around the same time it looks like there was applications for protest to burn a Bible and the Torah outside the Israeli embassy.

These aren’t forms of protest I could see myself participating in, at least in the current environment, but I do think they should remain legal.

It exposes groups who can’t handle free societies, because of their outrage for having their beliefs challenged. I can think of plenty of entities who feel their ideas are somehow more sacred than others, ironically in the west many of them are on the left. You’d probably get in more social trouble for burning a rainbow flag than a Quran right now in the states.

Personally, I have a problem with any dogmatic belief that some ideologies are above criticism. And even if the display of such is something a lot of us would agree is distasteful, there’s not shortage of lack of tact these days, from all sides. I think it usually does more harm than good for someone’s cause to criticize another in such a way, but we have to protect it for times that it may be called for.

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Islam is a 'religion of peace' so I guess we can chock it up to just another 'mostly peaceful' demonstration.

It would be interesting if every culture and sub-culture group were to coordinate their 'mostly peaceful' demonstrations so they all were held on the same day around the world. What a peaceful sight that would be!

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Just wait until someone in the LGBTQ community burns the Quran because they're offended by the lack of "acceptance" by Muslims of their lifestyle. The MSM would go nuts trying to figure out how to downplay that story. They wouldn't want to piss of either extreme.

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: putnam6

Ironically the story that I found this tracing back to was an Iraqi Christian burning the Quran outside the mosque in Sweden.

apnews.com...

Around the same time it looks like there was applications for protest to burn a Bible and the Torah outside the Israeli embassy.

These aren’t forms of protest I could see myself participating in, at least in the current environment, but I do think they should remain legal.

It exposes groups who can’t handle free societies, because of their outrage for having their beliefs challenged. I can think of plenty of entities who feel their ideas are somehow more sacred than others, ironically in the west many of them are on the left. You’d probably get in more social trouble for burning a rainbow flag than a Quran right now in the states.

Personally, I have a problem with any dogmatic belief that some ideologies are above criticism. And even if the display of such is something a lot of us would agree is distasteful, there’s not shortage of lack of tact these days, from all sides. I think it usually does more harm than good for someone’s cause to criticize another in such a way, but we have to protect it for times that it may be called for.

Ironically your news about the Iraqi citizen is mentioned in the Blaze quote, which is why I included it.

Don't get me wrong they can talk about it and protest as well, but the symbolic burning of the Quran in a country full of immigrants might be at least temporarily banned, you know for our own good.

It serves no purpose except to appease a couple of men of whatever demons they feel at the moment, and it sets off riots elsewhere.

That's not tolerance and inclusion nor is this really free speech, it is done specifically to enflame others

I not suggesting the men get their hands lopped off, but perhaps detained and ticketed with whatever a speeding ticket in Sweden is.

This way Sweden can officially show they don't agree with this degree of free "speech" at least temporarily.

It's not like Sweden has any problems with people worried about their rights.

Because respectfully some parts of the world aren't mature enough to handle complete freedom of destroying religious symbols.

Hopefully, nothing comes from this, and it probably won't.

Fringe theories are popping up, Russian paid the men to do this to try and scuttle Sweden'd bid for NATO, it's just mental problems thrown on top of paranoia.

Even this theory we can't 100% say it isn't true, crazy world

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reminds me of the Dark Knight Joker meme: Burn a Bible, no one blinks an eye, burn a Koran, everyone loses their mind

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

I say let them...and we all know its mostly the radical TQ+s and trenders trying to get this ish off

posted on Jul, 25 2023 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

But nothing...

They're burning down the Swedish embassy because some private individual in sweden burned a Koran?

Well, ok, abandon the embassy, send the Iraqi government a bill for any and all damages, transportation costs, costs for any and everything that was left behind, and never go back. Leave them to rot.

That is exactly what all nations should do when faced with such madness. Leave them to rot in it.

posted on Jul, 25 2023 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

originally posted by: putnam6

But nothing...

They're burning down the Swedish embassy because some private individual in sweden burned a Koran?

Well, ok, abandon the embassy, send the Iraqi government a bill for any and all damages, transportation costs, costs for any and everything that was left behind, and never go back. Leave them to rot.

That is exactly what all nations should do when faced with such madness. Leave them to rot in it.

Man respectfully fook that if we were gonna leave them to rot it should have been way back in 91.

We lost almost 5000 soldiers, even more friendlies, loads of innocent Iraqis, and spent billions over there too for what? not to mention the permanently injured and those with PTSD.

So Haliburton could get government contracts, is that the legacy?

On top of should TSHTF in the middle east, it would be nice to have a place to set bases to counter Iran

www.huffpost.com...

Reports about the end of the war in Iraq routinely describe the toll on the U.S. military the way the Pentagon does: 4,487 dead, and 32,226 wounded.

The death count is accurate. But the wounded figure wildly understates the number of American servicemembers who have come back from Iraq less than whole.

The true number of military personnel injured over the course of our nine-year-long fiasco in Iraq is in the hundreds of thousands -- maybe even more than half a million -- if you take into account all the men and women who returned from their deployments with traumatic brain injuries, post-traumatic stress, depression, hearing loss, breathing disorders, diseases, and other long-term health problems.

We don't have anything close to an exact number, however, because nobody's been keeping track.

new topics

top topics

join