It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Research Agency -Russian Troll Factory

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Thanks for bringing this up again. IRA has been a topic, and a presence, for years. I remember threads and chats on the IRA propaganda back in 2015 and 2016. Things really changed on ATS around that time and I personally suspect outside influences like that were part of the reason.

I think I remember it was IRA that was found to have put out those conspiracies and images about some Balkans artist lady who was having orgies and bathing in blood, and some aid of Hillary Clinton had images posted of his hands all bloody and with scars all over them, supposedly from Satanic rituals and what not. That's IRA work, and it's been around ATS for a while.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: Timber13

Why bang on about Democrats?

You are talking to a Brit, here?

You're absolutely right. I've fallen into the crowd that makes everything a stereotype here in the US. I will admit, I'm my own worse.. hypocrite, but I try really, really, really hard not to fall into the trap.

I should really say, the way that's common when you're speaking to a certain type of person. I can't really describe this person very well. It's like describing features of a person of a different race than you. (There is some enlightenment there.. I just can't figure it ..) It just so happens that this type of person tends to fall very heavily in one type of group (not saying all - I'm human, I generalize like a lot of people with cover words like "You" and "We" while not always meaning either). I'd say really bad habit more than being human that I've picked up from my surroundings somewhere along the way.

And sadly, when I refer to these people - I'm almost always referring to the leaders and not the boobs that follow them

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MetalThunder
Troll Farms
lol
Its an Industry

There IS money in it. I mean, is it really wrong? On what level? Morally? I don't know, that's a really slippery slope in my opinion. I don't know that I could bring myself to do it but if you put a big enough price tag on it, if it's worth my time - I would consider it.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

"everybody does it"

It's not that everyone does it. It's that we knowingly do it while making it a big deal that others are doing it. Why even bring it up?

If you can explain this to me in a way that it proves to be beneficial or accomplishes something, I'm on board. To me, it's information used to make the knowledgeable retort (or mold the minds of the clueless). It's not even really news. It's been pretty common place - main stream even since Trump.
edit on CDT5505bAmerica/ChicagoThu, 18 May 2023 22:55:05 -050013 by Timber13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Every country uses propaganda, especially Ukraine and so does the USA. We live in a world where lies are legal and sometimes required to force the public to believe in those running things.

The best way to combat this is to not believe anything anymore. But ACT like you do or they will come after you and try to discredit you or try to recondition you and stick you on meds to make you so you cannot evaluate things anymore to be able to see what is going on.

This is not a new practice, it has been going on since I can remember. Even as a teenager I could see it meaning that the school could not program us properly to believe in what those in charge wanted us to believe. Desire for wealth and prestige makes the public easier to control. If they can program the masses, others will try to fit in and start to parrot propaganda and lies.

This is old school, only the methods they use has changed. I understand this but do not like it but am forced to accept it in the country I live in which is the USA. You can't fight city hall and consensus of the time controls society and interpretations of the fields of science.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 11:14 PM
link   
What's the difference between a paid shill and a paid troll?

...campaign is designed to manipulate international public opinion of Russia’s illegitimate war in Ukraine, trying to grow support for their abhorrent war...

Taking a leaf out of the UK's book then. Pushing the idea of WMDs to garner public support for our illegitimate war in Iraq.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: baggy7981
What's the difference between a paid shill and a paid troll?

...campaign is designed to manipulate international public opinion of Russia’s illegitimate war in Ukraine, trying to grow support for their abhorrent war...

Taking a leaf out of the UK's book then. Pushing the idea of WMDs to garner public support for our illegitimate war in Iraq.

Shilling implies support.
Trolling implies disruption.
“Troll farm” is a catchall phrase that includes anti & pro paid online activity (probably just caught on because it’s a bit more colorful)
Paid shills exist in physical world, cf lobbyists
Trolls are not necessarily paid and might be merely a disruptive person, but it does strongly imply that the activity is online
Sock puppets, online avatar operators, click farms, content spinners, aged accounts, PVAs, etc.

All of this generally falls under grey and black hat marketing, SMM, and information operations

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Timber13

"everybody does it"

It's not that everyone does it. It's that we knowingly do it while making it a big deal that others are doing it. Why even bring it up?

If you can explain this to me in a way that it proves to be beneficial or accomplishes something, I'm on board. To me, it's information used to make the knowledgeable retort (or mold the minds of the clueless). It's not even really news. It's been pretty common place - main stream even since Trump.

Well, I intended my point to be that saying "everybody does it" hardly makes it something we should ignore. And frankly, many people couldn't recognize the activity - or even care to pay attention to the fact that it happens all over those "more popular" sites most of the time.

But here at ATS (a discussion forum) it is much more difficult to carry out successfully - the "post and run" types can't thrive here... if they can't engage, they won't "succeed" ... they really can't really engage long term for reasons of 'people getting to know you.'

And of course the UK article makes a "big deal" about it... it's Russian. It tres en time.

PS - This has been around since well before Trump's time.
edit on 5/19/2023 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

he Russian trolls are already here, they have been for years.
No Idea why they are tolerated.
You cant even point them out or you get a mod warning.

Been there.

Yet accuse someone of being in the employ of CIA/MI6 etc and its perfectly ok.

I have no doubt other countries have people in their employ disseminating information on social media but as far as I can tell Russia seems to have taken troll farming to a different level since they invaded Ukraine.
I honestly don't think its anywhere near as prevalent here on ATS as it is on more common social media sites like Twatter and Farcebook etc.
But.....?

We should be guarded about the growing presence of trolls regardless of what government agency they represent or pays them.

A slight aside; I miss RT. He popped in a couple of weeks ago saying he couldn't log in and then hasn't been seen again since.
A clever man and quite funny who always gives a different perspective on things.....and definitely NOT a troll.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 02:13 AM
link   

UK Government funded expert research

Something not right about that wording.

Sounds like someone gave Bellingcat a few quid.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Your source
UK-funded expert research

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon

That same Bellingcat which got proven wrong about Syria.

Including the attack of Aleppo University which Bellingcat never quite got the answer expect blaming Assad and Syrian forces but failing further to prove it.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

His citing Bellingcat..

Not greatest source.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

The Russian trolls are already here, they have been for years.

Apparently they would accuse anyone of being Russian troll or paid Putin if you arent worshiping zelensky
edit on 19-5-2023 by vNex92 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 03:12 AM
link   
nvm
edit on 19-5-2023 by Dalamax because: Lol

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 03:16 AM
link   
nvm
edit on 19-5-2023 by Dalamax because: Lol

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: vNex92
a reply to: Mahogany

His citing Bellingcat..

Not greatest source.

I'm not 'citing' Bellingcat. I'm pointing out that it's the sort of dodgy 'expert research' that governments use to justify a narrative.

edit on 19-5-2023 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 04:42 AM
link   

a reply to: Cwantas

Well, provide some.

I have?

The BBC.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Timber13

"everybody does it"

I’d go one step further and say: “I have essentially zero control over Russian and Chinese troll farms absent running for office, being elected, and taking trade or war action against these countries on this subject matter.”

But also: “I can certainly cause legal changes in my own country including regarding the use of troll farms to garbage up the internet.”

It’s not that I don’t care about what other nations are doing with troll farms — it’s that I am not a citizen of those other nations.

I cannot lobby Chinese & Russian lawmakers. I can lobby US lawmakers. I cannot run for office in China or Russia. I can in the US.

And so on.

I understand the internet is international and the above statements may not apply to all the readers here — but to me the nuances of Chinese and Russian troll farms are completely irrelevant as I possess no functional method to change this status, unlike being informed about troll farm use in the US and being able to do something about it by dint of being a citizen of this country.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 04:52 AM
link   

a reply to: Cwantas

Well, provide some.

I have?

Are you for real? The post above the one you replied to already did. I suppose you just prefer to ignore the evidence and carry on like it didn’t happen.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join