It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professor of Psychiatry: Transgender is a mental disorder that merits treatment

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981 is what got the ball rolling.
edit on 7 5 2023 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

What specific parts are you referring to? I'm having trouble reading minds today. 😁

Can you please quote the parts that did what you say 😁

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Does Dr McHugh address any reasons why the permanent skin graft damage would affect mental health? 😬

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

What specific parts are you referring to? I'm having trouble reading minds today. 😁

Can you please quote the parts that did what you say 😁

I believe and I'm sure to be corrected if wrong, that the poster is referring to this:

Subtitle J - Orderly Closure, Transfer, and Financial Self-Sufficiency of Public Health Service Hospitals and Clinics - Provides for the closure, by October 31, 1981, of Public Health Service hospitals and clinics which cannot be transferred to State, local, or private operation or become financially self-sufficient and for the transfer or achievement of financial self-sufficiency by September 30, 1982, of those hospitals and clinics which can be so transferred or which can achieve such financial self-sufficiency.

Which placed each states mental health issues within the purview of the states and not the federal government.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I don't mean to take any blame from the Democrats on this. I'm just pointing out where it all started. In my opinion, both Democrats and Republicans have evolved into cancers for our republic.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
By that logic...

Being gay would also need treatment.

Never thought it could be this difficult.

There is massive difference between sexual orientation and believing you are another gender when in reality you are not.

In terms of being transgender was regarded until recently as a mental disorder. But it changed due to activism.

Homosexuality was also regarded as a mental disorder until 1973 but the American Psychiatric Association changed it. And then it changed gradually to what is accepted today.
edit on 7-5-2023 by Asmodeus3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Can you please quote the parts that did what you say

Specifically, the part about drastically cutting the federal funding for mental health.
edit on 7 5 2023 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I don't mean to take any blame from the Democrats on this. I'm just pointing out where it all started. In my opinion, both Democrats and Republicans have evolved into cancers for our republic.

In that we are in complete agreement. It seems only lawyers and career politicians are deemed to be acceptable candidates for office. Whatever happened to regular citizens participating in the process? Political office was never intended to be a career, it was supposed to be a service. That is what is missing in politics today, it's no longer about service, imho.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

I feel lijke the same has been accomplished by the pandemic providing justification to empty jails and prisons. And now they've saved so much money, they don't want to re-incarcerate.

I always follow the money angle when first wishing to understand.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kenzo
a reply to: Asmodeus3

Voice of reason from Dr Paul R. McHugh , also chemicals influence thought .

I think he represents the vast majority of the scientists bin this area and all those SANE people out there.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:04 PM
link   

It is a mental illness when people will mutilate themselves to resemble the other sex even knowing that will never be a born female or male, that this mutilation to the human body will bring a lifelong suffering from side effects and dependency on more unnecessary surgeries and medications.

And still will never be happy with the way the look after surgeries.

You can fool the body but you can never fool the mind, males and females are no wire the same and one size does not fit all.

But in my books any adult that want to pursue mutilation of their reproductive organs are doing it by choice and let it be.

But when a child is put through these horrible mutilations not by choice but by coercion and manipulation is a danger.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

It seems odd to me that everybody is screaming that denying treatment is murdering trans people.

Is there something that causes death and can be alleviated with treatment, but isn't a disorder or malady of some kind?

You can call it affirming care all you want, but it's treatment. Treatment isn't required unless something is dysfunctional.

If it's not a mental disorder and isn't a healthcare treatment, why is it being covered by health plans?

Pick a thing and stick with it. If I felt the need to have medical treatment I would welcome the required treatment be considered a medically necessary thing rather than a cosmetic or psychological elective that isn't to correct a clinical problem.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:18 PM
link   

What if souls have a gender and the soul in that body happens to be a different gender than the body? Then it wouldn’t be a mental illness at all. Anyone want to prove to me that souls don’t have gender?

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The bad part about this entire transsexual push?
It has very little to do with trans people.
Gender Dysphoria is real
So is pedophilia.
So is cross dressing.
So is Autogynephilia.
The "trans activist" (thanks Bodecia) don't know the difference and put them all under the same umbrella.
They will then USE gay and unisex people to make an argument, for trans, and it usually falls flat on it's face, the majority of the time.
The "trans activist" is doing more harm to the trans community than any "right winger" ever could.
Most trans people just want to live their lives and be left alone.
They are not the ones pushing these idiotic policies and laws we see popping up around the country concerning children.
This puts the trans community in a negative light and all the backlash is directed at them, not the ones pushing for these absurd policies.
Stop the child abuse.
If you wanna really "help", stop "helping".

edit on 7-5-2023 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

What if souls have a gender and the soul in that body happens to be a different gender than the body? Then it wouldn’t be a mental illness at all. Anyone want to prove to me that souls don’t have gender?

Can you define what a soul is and where do we find this soul in a human body.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:31 PM
link   

What if pedophiles have a pedophile soul?
You are talking about the subjective.
You are talking about something we can't prove.
We KNOW there are differences between males and females.
We Know from the the time we are in the womb, until adulthood we develop differently.
We know that a man can think he is a female. A man can never think like a female.
These are known.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Obviously another fool who does not understand SEX is the body parts ONLY. gender has always been classed wrong because its a way to control people and keep them distracted.
Just because the man is a doctor does not make him right. It just means peer review is BOUGHT these days.Not always by money,but always by similiar thinking people who basically pat each other on the back so they can all grift more cash.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Shouldn't you be asking for us to prove souls do not have 72 different genders?

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:35 PM
link   

McHugh refers to a study showing that transgendered people who underwent reassignment surgery had a suicide rate 20 times higher than non-transgendered people.

I believe he was referring to this Swedish study from 2011:

journals.plos.org.../journal.pone.0016885

The actual number from that study is 19.1, not 20.

The real question should be: what is the suicide rate for transgendered people who DO undergo gender reassignment surgery compared to transgendered people who DON'T undergo sex reassignment surgery?

According to the Society for Suicide Prevention, the current suicide rate for the general population in the US is around 13.48 per 100,000 people. A suicide rate 19.1 times that would be .26%.

afsp.org...

A recent survey published by The Trevor Project found that nationwide, about 20% of transgender youth attempt suicide:

www.thetrevorproject.org...

Suicide Awareness Voice for Education estimates that 1 in 25 of all suicide attempts is successful:

save.org...

This would imply that the suicide rate for transgender youth who DON'T undergo gender reassignment surgery is about 20%/25 or ≈ 0.8%, or about 3 times greater than those who DO undergo gender reassignment surgery.

It looks like gender reassignment surgery saves lives.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Quadrivium

ACtually,the brain is sexless.
If you took a amnesiac person and gave them memories of being the opposite sex most likely they would act accordingly outside any outward stimulation or anything they can use to see what a male of female is. In isolation so to speak.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join