It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorists limited to two boxes of books in prison cells

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 01:58 AM
link   
This is the UK governments latest initiative to stop convicted terrorists getting their hands on extremist materials.

New Justice Secretary Alex Chalk said

Those in custody convicted of terrorism - about 200 people - will be limited to two medium-sized boxes of books that must weigh no more than 15kg.

I fail to see how the weight of books a prisoner can have can prevent extremist/terrorist material being circulated in prison.
Surely the authorities should be looking at the actual books that they are getting rather than the weight?

SOURCE

p.s. Didn't know where this fit so put it here in Education & Media. If a mod knows of a better home for it then please move.
edit on 1-5-2023 by nolabel because: gobbledygook

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: nolabel

Well wouldnt they want to be dumb beyond belief to be giving them extremist material to read now?
Surely thats a no brainer and they check the material?

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Make it so the terrorist scum can only read in the dark, problem solved.

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 05:37 AM
link   
They should make sure the two boxes of books are filled only with copies of Fifty Shades of Grey.

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

They should make sure the two boxes of books are filled only with copies of Fifty Shades of Grey.

guaranteed to make sure you come out of prison a murderous idiot.

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

A six by six cell with nothing but a straw mattress and a bucket to do their business in.
A diet of bread and water and the only exercise is to slop out and the occasional hosing down.

Same for nonces, rapists and all child killers.

Plenty of time to ponder on their actions and beliefs then.

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I hate to be that guy, but maybe the way they do it in Norway, treating people more like humans might be the way forward. Last I heard they had to shut a load of prisons cos there just wasnt the recidivism there is say, here.

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 05:52 AM
link   

I would not even give them the straw mattress buddy.

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Terrorists don't treat other people like humans SprocketUK.

Same with nonces, rapists, and people who kill kids by my guess.

Can't see why they should be shown compassion or any other kindness, to be honest.

Some people simply cannot be rehabilitated.

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Yeah you might be right, though I wouldnt lump terrorists in with the sex cases.

One man's terrorist etc...

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Sorry mate, I don't believe in second chances for those who commit acts of terrorism or paedophiles, rapists and child killers.
For me its about punishment and getting justice for their victims.

We put far too much emphasis on the rights of the criminals and their rehabilitation.
Anyone blowing innocent people up doesn't deserve the chance to be rehabilitated.
Same as nonces etc.

We do lock people up for the slightest things sometimes and there isn't enough emphasis on rehabilitation and reducing recidivism.
Same as there are far, far too little resources put into actually eliminating the causes of crime etc.

But as I said, some people just don't deserve a second chance.

edit on 1/5/23 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

I hate to be that guy, but maybe the way they do it in Norway, treating people more like humans might be the way forward. Last I heard they had to shut a load of prisons cos there just wasnt the recidivism there is say, here.

My view is that we should get rid of time off for good behaviour etc. Your sentence is a set time you get in prison based on your crime.

Instead how you serve your sentence should be based on behaviour.

Show remorse, don't cause trouble, attend classes etc then you get a nice Scandinavian style prison with access to fresh air , exercise and a decent food.

Cause trouble, be violent etc then you get a cell with toilet and a bed and thats it. With your food served through a hatch in the door.

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 06:11 AM
link   

I suppose it may depend on what the terrorist did to a degree.

But if they are blowing up, or killing and maiming innocent civilians.

Then i'm hard-pushed to see how they could be considered to be freedom fighters or anything other than the terrorist scum they actually are.

If that's what they are all about firing them into the beast wing and letting them experience some terror of their own along with pain misery and suffering would seem to be them getting their just deserts by my guess, after all, it's nice to be nice.

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Well I dont think paedos and the like can be rehabilitated I take issue with the terrorist thing though, we all know what sh1tes our governments can be, changing the rules to suit their own agendas, I could forsee this lot designating those extinction rebellion idiots as terrorists.

a reply to: ScepticScot

Not a bad idea at all that

Yeah it would depend, see my reply to Freeborn above
edit on 19pMon, 01 May 2023 06:46:19 -050020232023-05-01T06:46:19-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: rubbish at multiquoting

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Yeah I can see your point OP! Curious

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Before passing judgement on their conditions, you might want to look at the UK definition of "terrorist".

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

Well wouldnt they want to be dumb beyond belief to be giving them extremist material to read now?
Surely thats a no brainer and they check the material?

Hahahahaha for real? They will probably hand any terrorists funds, cars and other resources they could need to not be 'discriminatory' or such b*ll. The world is clown world, don't you know ?

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 09:52 AM
link   
All of that is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. What people have got to realise is that all terrorists are "started" on the terrorist route by schooling, being vocally taught. Many, many times this starts in childhood before they can actually read. Reading material is only the icing on the cake, re-enforcing the mind teachings. Books, smucks, giving them comic would not change their indoctrination.

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 10:12 AM
link   
There should be no prison... only the death penalty. Crimes solved!

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Sorry mate, I don't believe in second chances for those who commit acts of terrorism or paedophiles, rapists and child killers.
For me its about punishment and getting justice for their victims.

We put far too much emphasis on the rights of the criminals and their rehabilitation.
Anyone blowing innocent people up doesn't deserve the chance to be rehabilitated.
Same as nonces etc.

We do lock people up for the slightest things sometimes and there isn't enough emphasis on rehabilitation and reducing recidivism.
Same as there are far, far too little resources put into actually eliminating the causes of crime etc.

But as I said, some people just don't deserve a second chance.

What If somebody went in and did the dirty work of righting the wrongs at the white house? What it will take, That person would be a terrorist. One we should throw a parade for.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join